PDA

View Full Version : caught a rainbow in the delta.

fish_feeder32
03-09-2007, 06:26 PM
was fishing in the delta 2 nights ago for cat fish using night crawlers. and caught a rainbow or steel head not sure which it was. it was small only 12 inches. i was fishing off 8 mile rd out of stockton. this has happend to me once before throwing bass lures at the mokelumne river by thorton. has any one ever herd of trout comming out of the delta before. or did i experiance a rare thing.

PickLeNose
03-09-2007, 06:55 PM
sounds like you caught yourself a "half pounder" steelhead. If you only were using 2lb line :))

Slim
03-09-2007, 10:35 PM
You do know whats the difference between Bow's and Steelhead ????

No difference !! There one and the same.

Slim

mike22ca
03-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Actually a couple weeks ago DFG release a bunch of steelhead juvies down in the delta. It's actually not that irregular believe it or not.

cjskier
03-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Actually a couple weeks ago DFG release a bunch of steelhead juvies down in the delta.
What for, feeding the striper? ;D

anglinfool
03-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Slim, there is a difference. Steelhead are ocean living and show up in the rivers to spawn. Regular trout do not.

FishWisher
03-10-2007, 10:18 AM
I understood that a steelhead was a trout that had gone to the ocean and returned. Otherwise, they're rainbows.

Is that not true?

Dale

jiggity49
03-10-2007, 10:26 AM
This has happened to me several times usually while using crawlers as you were but sometimes throwin lures. A buddy of mine caught 1 about 3 or 4 pounds on a spinner bait last year in whiskey slough and 1 time about 10 or 12 years ago me and my dad caught about 6 or 7 in one day out at rio vista off the shore with crawlers so it does happen but i don't use crawlers much or i think i might catch them more frequently.

fish_feeder32
03-10-2007, 03:10 PM
well it sounds like this has happend to some of you before so i guess it is not that un common but i am sure that this sort of thing is probably far and few in beetween. that little steel head put up a good fight. hey slim or any one else that can answer this for me? If they plant regular rainbow trout in the rivers would they go to the ocean and if they did and came back would the now be steel head?

Katch
03-10-2007, 03:22 PM
About 5 or 6 years ago I was striper fishing from shore near Courtland and caught one about 2-3 pounds on a chunk of anchovie...weirdest thing, I was thinking at the time.

Fin
03-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe DFG considers a rainbow over 16" a stealhead. *(As long as it's in anadromadous waters)

Reddingfisherman
03-10-2007, 08:35 PM
True, DFG considers any rainbow over 16" a steelhead. Of course this is the same group that said we would have a banner run of salmon on the Sac last year, so their credibility is questionable at best.

Higher on the Sac, you can really tell the difference. The pit river strain of rainbows that we catch here look a lot different than the steelhead. Not only colors, but the steelhead's heads are longer and the jaw seems to extend a bit futher back. After catching a number of them, it is pretty easy to tell the difference, even between 6-10" steelhead smolt and small trout.

fishrecon
03-10-2007, 09:08 PM
If its a DFG smolt, it will be missing its adipose fin. They clip them so they can be identified by fishermen from the wild stock. Also, it won't have any parr marks on its sides and will have already camoflouged itself for the sea - silver sides and greenish-blue back.

Slim
03-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Slim, there is a difference. *Steelhead are ocean living and show up in the rivers to spawn. *Regular trout do not.

Your right..... A Rainbow going to the ocean is a steelhead. His twin Brother rainbow, that doesn't go to the ocean is a rainbow. They don't know why one rainbow goes and the other stays. But they are both rainbows, It's Just semantics. There's an apearence change that happens to the steelhead out in the ocean, being the food is very different and they are in salt water...
A steelhead that comes up out of the ocean & remains in the rivers to spawn will color back up to rosy cheeks and all... Like this Goodwin dam area fish I caught a few years ago...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid17/pf9a1b98400d83a10026a7602e03a8edc/fdfb591d.jpg

Slim

Some sites to read...

Rainbow and Steelhead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_trout

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/living_species/default.asp?inhab=153

http://fish.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Salmonidae/steelhead.html

http://www.sportfishingkenai.com/content_sub.asp?SUB_ID=11&CAT_ID=67

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/notebook/fish/steelhd.php

"The silvery sheen gradually fades in fresh water, and steelhead become difficult to differentiate from resident rainbow trout as the spawning period approaches"...

"Spawning steelhead and rainbow develop a distinct pink to red strip-like coloration that blends along the side, both above and below the lateral line. "

Slim
03-10-2007, 09:38 PM
About 5 or 6 years ago I was striper fishing from shore near Courtland and caught one about 2-3 pounds on a chunk of anchovie...weirdest thing, I was thinking at the time.
;D
That IS weird.
I don't think I ever was thinking while fishin. That's why I take to fishin so easly... ("I think... :-? ) ;D

Slim

Slim
03-10-2007, 09:39 PM
. hey slim or any one else that can answer this for me? If they plant regular rainbow trout in the rivers would they go to the ocean and if they did and came back would the now be steel head?

yup.

anglinfool
03-11-2007, 09:33 AM
It's more than semantics. A planter trout wouldn't go into the ocean however because its not in its genetic make-up to do so. It would stay in the river system like the upper Sac trout. The American River has resident trout as well, but is known for the steelie run.

fishrecon
03-11-2007, 01:49 PM
More on that,

A resident female Rainbow can produce offspring that exhibit a sea-run life history (steelhead) Moreover, An ocean-going female can produce non sea-run offspring (rainbows).