PDA

View Full Version : Trout Stomach Contents?

fishnmike2002
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Something I have noted while fishing Comanche over the last 3 years, I never have cleaned a trout with an acutal food item in its stomach. I have found lots of cigerete butts, bird feathers, plastic worms and rocks. But never bait fish, bugs or other type items. While fishing Pedro, McClure and Melones I often find shad and/or bugs present in their stomachs.

I am guessing it has to do with many of the fish at Comanche are planted as large fish therfore they are older fish and have never learned what food looks like. Is it possible that fish can loose that instict? We do catch them on spinner, spoons, grubs and rapalas so they are hitting those for some reason.

Doc? Anyone?

FishnMike

drstressor
03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Only a fraction of planted fish ever develop a feeding pattern. Most just mill around waiting for something to happen and eventually starve to death. If they happen to stumble across an abundant prey item, they will key on it just like any fish. The prey items that most planters seem to stumble upon appear to be Powerbait and inflated crawlers. ;D

The abundance of prey in any give body of water has a lot to do with the development of feeding patterns and survival of planted trout. I don't know anything about Comanche, so I can't comment on that particular lake. I do know that Melones is pretty productive and has good insect and shad populations for the planters to find.

fishnmike2002
03-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Comanche has a great shad population and most mornings on the lake there is an insect hatch coming off.

I knew that most planters have difficult time adapting to real life but was curious about the difference in that lake versus the others I fish.

Thanks for the info Doc.

FishnMike

atavuss
03-05-2007, 08:08 PM
of all the fish we have caught out of Pardee I don't remember any actual food items in their stomachs either. did catch one with a huge plastic worm in its stomach though. do these pass through their digestive system?

acerdan
03-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Camanche has a great shad population that the rainbows key on, and therefore, has an excellent population of hold-over rainbows that get big and fat on shad (sleeper). Last fall, we trolled one day and caught 8 rainbows that totalled almost 20 lbs. - all hold-overs with rosy red flesh (excellent table fare) and many had stomachs full of shad. I'm surprised that you have never seen shad in the bellies of any of the trout you have caught at Camanche?!?, since we see them routinely. Keep looking for them - especially in the hold-overs with rosy red flesh ;)

Tight lines,
Augie

fishnmike2002
03-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Hmm, I don't know why I don't find them Augie. Do you usually find the holdovers in the fall? I'm fishing for salmon in the fall so never make it to Comanche at that time. Maybe I only catch the fresh planted dumb ones :D

FishnMike

waterdog
03-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Just an fyi - most of the bows I have caught at Camanche over the last 2 years have been stuffed with tiny shad. All were caught between May and Sept.
Waterdog :)

wackyd
03-06-2007, 10:42 AM
I was at camanche this year and saw the grives coming up with shad so i trolled over them and caught a nice trout with little 1-inch shad coming out of its mouth.So i guess it is worth looking for those birds.But most of the time there bellies are empty.

vietthug559
03-06-2007, 11:31 AM
i think planted trout are dumb..i've seen a guy catch 2 24 inchers on bare hook

fishinwithg
03-06-2007, 03:39 PM
I bought one of those stomache pumps last year and did a test, prior to release. I was amazed at what trout eat. :o Every thing was so tiny. :-?No wonder they are so hungry. :PThere was a lot of what ever they were, but it didnt look to filling.
fishinwithg

Slim
03-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I bought one of those stomache pumps last year and did a test, prior to release. I was amazed at what trout eat. :o Every thing was so tiny. *:-?No wonder they are so hungry. *:PThere was a lot of what ever they were, but it didnt look to filling.
*fishinwithg

Small things like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Bugs4/Midgenymph5best.jpg
This the fish main source of food during winter...

This is not longer than 1/4 of an inch (even less) but down in the mud of a "rich" lake bottom, there can be up to 50,000 of these per square meter. Actually not these, but in their worm form. They look like this when they begain to get ready to hatch.
As the hatch they look like this mating pair...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley%20slide/Midgemating2.jpg

Ther are called Midges. One of many aquatic insects the fish feed on...

Slim

tcbritton
03-07-2007, 06:40 AM
In ice house Ive caught trout that are stuffed to the gills with small crayfish you could look into their throat and see tails and claws sticking out it makes my rump hurt just thinking of passing those shells :o

fishnmike2002
03-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Slim that's what gets me about Comanche, the stomachs are completely empty, no bugs, mush or half digested minnows. All the other lakes I fish I find the remains of midges, etc.

FishnMike

The_Big_Sinus
03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
I caught an 8.5# trout at Pardee a while back. Although I caught it on a plug, it was most definitely full of other food items- some old crawdad remains, minnows, unidentifiable bugs, gunk. It was a holdover, to be sure.

FinshingSW
03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
san oablo, lots of shad, but no rosy flesh, still taste like planters most of the time, also it's hard to tell with these lassen planters that come ready to go at 3-5lbs.

dbass
03-08-2007, 07:58 AM
I've caught fish at pardee, and their gut look liked it had rainbow sherbert in it! Does powerbait provide any nutrition to the trout or is it just an smell bait!