PDA

View Full Version : Trout the biggest opportunity?

vince4ltci
03-01-2007, 08:23 PM
I am looking for recommendations and suggestions for a Northeastern District trip. *This fishing newbie (yes, at age 65) is headed to McArthur-Burney Falls State Park in early June for 10 days of fishing. *I know there are great lakes and rivers all over the area, but I am looking for specific suggestions on all aspects of this first extended fishing trip. *Locations, the opportunities, the techniques, etc., etc. *My fishing will be from bank and from my inflatable kayak, so donít recommend that I troll the middle of Lake Shasta! *Here is a specific question. *I have not purchased waders yet, recommended for this trip? *All your communications, very much appreciated. *Vince

Woody
03-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Vince

We were there last yr in late June, I fished just above burney falls.
If you drive out of the park and take a right then go down a think it is a mile or two you will see an open area with a dirt road going into the sage brush. You can park there and walk over to the creek. I walked down the creek to the right. Only fished for a bout an hour and caught 4 nice rainbows. One was about 16".

Good Luck
Woody

Fishin_Bear
03-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I've had luck on several occassions fishing from the bank just above the falls - within the park. I prefer a long rod 8-10ft and just dropping 1/2 a worm or salmon eggs or powerbait into the holes and riffles - keep working them for a while - the long rod allows you to drop the bait in specific spots - often with little or no casting.

bub1931
03-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Also check out Baum Lake, Hat Creek, and the Pit River, all close to Burney Falls State Park.

Just remember Hat Creek is a artificial single barbless lures and flies only, no bait, with size limit 18" (2 fish only).

Baum lake you can fish with flies or bait, does pretty good early in the season. Not to sure about in June though.

Pit River does have sections that you can bait fish (I Think), other section of the Pit (Below Lake Britton Dam) are trophy trout area's. So artificial single barbless lures and flies only, and I am pretty sure there is a size limit 18" min (2 fish ONLY).

Stop by some of the local sporting good stores (Vaughn's Sporting Goods) will give some good tips.Website has some fishing reports as well as some maps.

http://www.citlink.net/~vaughnfly/

I think they stock above burney falls during summer and you can use bait, but BELOW the falls is artificial barbless lures and flies only.

First time I was up there when I was a kid, I fished above the falls right under the foot bridge that goes accross the creek. I must have caught around 20 trout one day, kept 5 for the parents to cook released the rest. Was a great time as a kid.

I love this area very much. I try and go up every year the first part of May. Will be up there again this year. It is so beautiful and peaceful, catching fish is just a bonus.

Hope you have a great time.

bub1931
03-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Hey SQUID
You are right about that gof course in Fall River, it is nice, but hard. Man I couldnt belive it when I saw the 600 yrd par 5. That's the longest par 5 I have ever seen. Plus it seemed like ever other hole was a dog leg either to the right or left.

We also fish Big Lake, I like it back by the creek inlet back by the boat in campgrounds. Water so clear you can see all the way to the bottom. Real nice wild trout around there. Even the small ones fight the hell.