PDA

View Full Version : Leader length using leadcore line for trout?

jcombs
03-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I have trolled for years for trout and kokanee using 12 pound leadcore with a 9-12 ft mono leader? I was curious to know if I would increase my catch rates by increasing my leader lengths. I am concerned that if I use a longer leader my lure will not stay at the same depth as my leadcore line. Also, I have recently been using 8 pound P-line for my spinning setups and am impressed with its durability and strength. Would this line make a good leader for trolling?

Garden_Valley_Fish
03-02-2007, 03:37 PM
With help from the guys here on the board I now run at least 100' thats right 100' of leader I also use Pline .

Don
03-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I agree I have 100 yds of YO-ZURI HYBRID of 4lb I use the same for leader.
I am out a minum of 150'- 200' back
* * I don't use leadcore ,But I don't think a long leader would make a differance on depth.There is the question of action though.With a longer leader you slow the action down.This could be a good thing though.
* Don

metalmouth
03-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Leadcore leaders are a bit different then down rigger set backs. Use 30' of leader. It won't change your depth at all because the water pressure on the lead core thickness will have maxed out the depth curve on your lead core. You can learn more about this in a book available on Amazon.com called Precision Trolling.

fish_junky
03-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I use fifty feet of 8 lb Maxima Ultr Green on my leadcore setups. 8 lb P- Line would be my second choice.

HSUSteelie
03-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I second MM on the leader length, I primarily run leadcore and I have had great success running a 30-40 foot 4 pound P-Line leader-stepping it down from leadcore to 5 ft of 10lb mono to 5 ft of 8lb mono to 20-30 ft of 4lb p line. I will use 6lb if the water is bit stained put I prefer the lighter line for the trout @ Eagle Lake (2-5lb range)

I have also read up on some leadcore techniques, and from what I remember reading is that at typical trolling speeds 1.0-2.0 MPH you won’t be able to get down past the 30' mark because of the belly created by the drag of the leadcore.

As far as action goes I haven't noticed any difference in lure/fly action as far as increasing or decreasing leader length.

Weez
03-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Smaller lakes, dirtier water- 30 to 50 foot leaders for me. I use leadcore most on Tahoe though, and here I use an 80 to 100 foot leader.

Trolling with a dodger and minnow on 18 pound leadcore with a 100 foot leader at .5 to 1 MPH, I allow 20 feet of depth just for the leader and dodger, then believe it or not, 10 feet per color! So if I let out more than 3 colors in 50 feet of water, I will snag bottom. I troll 80 to 100 feet deep no problem this way. The long leader of thin fluoro lets the dodger dig deep.

When I troll a Rapala or AC Plug on the same leadcore/leader rig at 2 to 3 MPH though, I get 5 feet per color and don't calculate any extra depth for the lure digging down on a long leader. It's hard to get down more than 50 feet at this speed.

jcombs
03-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the input. Hey, Weez check your pm.