PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco Trout Derby

Trygve
02-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Rancho Seco's trout derby is March 10th and 11th. I am thinking of taking my 5 year old daughter and try her luck from the bank. Has anyone taken there young child to this event before? Is it pretty kid friendly?

I have never been to the lake before. Thanks!

fish_junky
02-28-2007, 12:31 PM
I would say so. It has nice fishing piers all around the lake. The shore line is mostly grass and weeds. There is no steep banks that I can remember. Be aware the bottom is real grassy.

cgagex3
02-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Trygve,
The lake is very kid friendly. Not a lot of prime grass spots because of reeds and trees but there are piers all around the lake. Usually nice people out there and if you show up with a 5 year old girl they better make room for her.
For a little one plan on power bait and bobber with a short lead maybe 3 ft. Like fish junky said there are a lot of water plants thick about 3 to 4 ft down.

Trygve
02-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will post a photo of her trophy trout!

napafishing
02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Good luck out there with your daughter. DFG palnted some of the Hofer's in there. If you hook one, you'll know it!

freon
02-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Trygve, my daughter took second place about five years ago there, what I used to do with her was to cast out the rods, find a nice stick and play hangman in the sand with her, some of the best conversations we ever had occured then, I never did use a bobber though, I just used a leader longer than the weeds ;)

cgagex3
02-28-2007, 07:26 PM
The best shore access, largest grass flat spot and 2 piers is in the south cove. http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6909/secohl5.jpg You drive past the dam and can park close to your fishing area. Also close to the restrooms (important with a 5 yr old, been there, done that). Hope to see you there, may even be able to drag my 12 yr old girl with me. She loves to fish but there are so........ many distractions.