PDA

View Full Version : crab pots per person

tkdvellone
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi, I just wanted to post the reply from DFG on How many crab pots per person.

Hi again Mr. Vellone, OK, thank you for the clarification. For a PRIVATE recreational boat, you may possess however many crab traps you can handle. However, the daily bag and possession limit is only 10 crabs per person. For commercial passenger fishing vessels ("party boats" that sell spaces to go crabbing/fishing) the limit is 60 traps per vessel. When crabbing from public piers, the limit is 2 traps per person. For baited hoop nets, it's a totally different story. When crabbing with baited hoop nets, you're limited to 5 hoop nets per person, 2 if fishing from a public pier, and 10 total per vessel, regardless of how many people are on board. For a more complete set of Dungeness crab regulations, you'll want to refer to the current Ocean Sport Fishing regulations booklet, available online at www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/sportfishing_regs2008.asp, or through your local fishing license vendor or DFG office. I hope this helps! Mary Patyten Mary PatytenCalifornia Department of Fish and GameMarine Region Education and Outreach(707) 964-5026mpatyten@dfg.ca.gov

hooked_fishin
10-28-2008, 12:32 PM
thats 10 dun. 35 red rock.

jdecker
10-28-2008, 06:21 PM
tee, I also think it is 10 pots per boat too.

tkdvellone
10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
The email is from dfg and said For a PRIVATE recreational boat, you may possess however many crab traps you can handle. I also followed it up with a call to bodega dfg and they said no limits on pots.

hooked_fishin
10-28-2008, 09:25 PM
i always thought its 10 pots or trap. so can i put 15 traps onboard!

aledwards
10-28-2008, 09:36 PM
There is no restiction on number of pots for sport crabbing, unless it's a party boat. (60) Also party boat dung crab limit is 6 per instead of 10. DFG regs do say that sport crab pots do need two 4" escape rings. (for shorties) You do not have to use 'rotten cotten' on the lid but is is a good idea. If your line or float break free and you lose your pot, it keeps on catching. The cotton twine on the lid will rot after a while and allow the crabs to escape from the abandoned pot. Be sure and use plenty of weight. Pots will move pretty good in a big swell. Every year guys howl their gear is 'stolen'. Most cases their pots have walked in the swell, and they can go a long ways. If they walk into deeper water your floats go under and you wont find them. I run 30lbs of lead in mine. Mark your floats well with CF number and name. - Al

Fishbutt21
10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
There is no restiction on number of pots for sport crabbing, unless it's a party boat. (60) Also party boat dung crab limit is 6 per instead of 10. DFG regs do say that sport crab pots do need two 4" escape rings. (for shorties) You do not have to use 'rotten cotten' on the lid but is is a good idea. If your line or float break free and you lose your pot, it keeps on catching. The cotton twine on the lid will rot after a while and allow the crabs to escape from the abandoned pot. Be sure and use plenty of weight. Pots will move pretty good in a big swell. Every year guys howl their gear is 'stolen'. Most cases their pots have walked in the swell, and they can go a long ways. If they walk into deeper water your floats go under and you wont find them. I run 30lbs of lead in mine. Mark your floats well with CF number and name. - Al

all very good info

jdecker
10-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Look at 29.80 under the regs, 10 baited per boat for crabs, 5 for lobster. 10 is a lot to be hauling around per boat.

tkdvellone
10-29-2008, 07:43 PM
I posted the email reply from Fish and Game that states no limits on pots. I then called and talked to a person and they said the same thing. I brought up the regs they said traps not pots.

scfisher831
10-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Look at 29.80 under the regs, 10 baited per boat for crabs, 5 for lobster. *10 is a lot to be hauling around per boat.

You might want to re-read the regs again at sec. 29.80.Its no more than 10 baited hoop nets (crab loop traps)per boat and 5 for lobster.Their is a diffrence between a hoop net (crab loop traps)with 6 *loops than a crab trap with 2 circular openings of not less than four and one quarter inches inside diameter no less lower than 5 inches from the top of the trap.As Tee707 and aledwards said too that their is no limit on the number of crab pots for a private boat.

jdecker
10-30-2008, 06:00 AM
You are right, but I only have 8 so I am safe either way. I used to have 10 until I tried to crab with them on a windy day and lost 2 :'(