PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Lake and Lake Eleanor 2/12/07

trout_bum
02-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Hiked to Lake Eleanor from Cherry Lake. Got skunked at Eleanor fishing from the bank. Hiked back to Cherry and caught a 12" bow from the south side of the dam. Saw a couple of nice sized fish cruising along the dam face. The road (from Groveland) had some snow starting a few miles before the lake, mostly melted by the time I left. A little rain/sleet up there in the afternoon. The boat launch looks like an easy launch. May try to troll Cherry next weekend. The fish seem to to on top and close to shore. Here's some pics:
Cherry Lake
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/216/cherrync6.jpg
Cherry Boat Launch
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2382/cherryboatlaunchhl0.jpg
Lake Eleanor
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7578/eleanornm3.jpg

BENDEM
02-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow, both lakes are very full for this time of year. Look forward to hearing a report if you get to troll it next weekend. Keep in mind, the road into Cherry is not plowed, so don't expect to get in (or out for that matter) if it really dumps a lot of snow.

Trying pulling some 3" white grubs about 150' back for some good action by the dam.

Good luck, and post more of those great pictures!

Ironhead
02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Man with pictures like that, it sure makes a guy want to leave work and go fishing. Keep us posted on how you do up there. This coming weekend should be perfect up there after this mid week storm.

Ironhead

Manteca Steve
02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey trout _ bum
Thanks for the pics. Haven't fished (Cherry) in years. I know it's *a long drive from Groveland to Cherry. Curious how big can those trout get?Never seen any lunkers being caught.

DanClark
02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Great pictures of some wonderful country, so quiet and peaceful in the winter. When the road across the dam is closed pretty good hike to eleanor too bad you did not catch any fish there water was probably pretty cold for much action but the scenery must have been great. I fished that area a lot when I was younger and have fond memories, thanks again.

Dan

Flycanoe
02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for sharing the pic of Lake Eleanor. Been to Cherry, but never been to Lake Eleanor even though we camp near the Tuolumne river every summer.

I am going to try and hike over to see it this summer. *About how long is the hike from Cherry lake? *

DanClark
02-13-2007, 12:50 PM
In the summer you can drive to the gate at the park boundary which is a stones throw from lake elanor dam, or take the road to kibbie ridge and stop where trail to elanor crosses the road, short hike to lake but a bit steep on return, also can go to the road end and hike to kibbie lake in a couple of hours or so, pretty lake with a back country feel but fishing is not as good as before the road was built, back then was a good days hike from cherry dam and all uphill. Lake elanor used to have beautiful large native rainbows which were not too hard to catch, have not fished there for years don't know how fishing is anymore. maybe someone can advise how fishing is now.

Dan

Fish_R_Us
02-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Damn, nice photos of Cherry & Eleanor, however I'm used to seeing more snow and ice around the edges for February.

Looked at the Regs and saw that the Tuolomne River (Early Intake thru Lumsden and downstream is artifical lure only. Seems like a change there.

Shoot, couple more years and Cherry Creek below the dam will be artifical lure only.

bankerbull
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
In the summer you can drive to the gate at the park boundary which is a stones throw from lake elanor dam, or take the road to kibbie ridge and stop where trail to elanor crosses the road, short hike to lake but a bit steep on return, also can go to the road end and hike to kibbie lake in a couple of hours or so, pretty lake with a back country feel but fishing is not as good as before the road was built, back then was a good days hike from cherry dam and all uphill. Lake elanor used to have beautiful large native rainbows which were not too hard to catch, have not fished there for years don't know how fishing is anymore. maybe someone can advise how fishing is now.

Dan

Very true Dan, Eleanor used to be very hot for bank fishing, like I said earlier in a post, we caught 3-5 lbers there consistantly by the flume and by Frog Creek and in the creek, of course this was back in the mid 60's and again in 1989...huge browns in Frog Creek then, and gorgeous rainbows ,,its a shame that you can now drive that close to Eleanor, so much for being a remote type lake...also, you stated you have been to Kibbie, did you ever fish Kibbie Creek? You could see schools of huge trout there ..ahh yes memories.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Slim
02-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Nice Pictures.. Thanks for the post..

Did you walk over to the back side where the boulders are and fish at Eleanor??

What were you using??

That's a must do, some time soon, like with-in the month or so !!! 8-)

Slim

trout_bum
02-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Slim-
Part of my motivation for this trip was to check out Eleanor when the water level was low to figure out the bottom structure some. I've had the best luck catching fish by trolling the lake from a canoe in the summer. 20" best catch. The problem with hiking to the lake in the winter is that you wind up on the north side of the lake which turns out to be pretty shallow. The obvious line between the dam and where Eleanor creek comes into the lake seems to hold fish and now I can see why.

Anyway, I was fishing the usual Kastmater, Little Cleo, Jake's lure, and Thomas Buoyant assortment. Never saw any signs of fish. Water was 40 degrees near the dam. I fished from where Kibbie Creek comes in east to the dam.

Good luck if you decide to make the trip.

This lake is a bit of a legend around here with reports of 24" rainbows being caught once in a while. No real road access, big lake, DFG wild trout fishery, no motor boats, creek closed because of spawning, and its all stuck in a national park. I love it.

Slim
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Slim-
Part of my motivation for this trip was to check out Eleanor when the water level was low to figure out the bottom structure some......

*............I love it.

Thanks trout_bum *I've been there about 3 times.

The pictures below are from 12-30-00...

That day I could have kicked myself. I had float tubed the lake catching only a couple of 14" bows. As I was walking out (Next to the shore line)I was casting in. This one time I saw a "VERY LARGE" (5 lb+ easly) Trout take my fly about 8 feet out. So large that I pannic and set the hook too hard, snapping off the fly (8 lb test) in the fish mouth !!! I looked like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum, jumping up and down and cussing at myself. Oh Well, lesson learned (I hope) *;)

North east side of the lake with low water.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Eleanor/Lowwater.jpg
Lake Bed: This part of the lake might be under 8 feet of the water when full....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Eleanor/EleanorsLakebedcopy.jpg
further towards the back looking towards the Dam area
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Eleanor/eleanorlake12-30-00.jpg

Towards the back of the lake..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Eleanor/towardstheback.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Eleanor/boulders.jpg
The reason I asked if you went towards the back where the boulders were is that where my buddy likes to go. The last time he was in there he caught 2) 5 lb bows !!

Slim

bankerbull
02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Slim-
Part of my motivation for this trip was to check out Eleanor when the water level was low to figure out the bottom structure some. *I've had the best luck catching fish by trolling the lake from a canoe in the summer. *20" best catch. *The problem with hiking to the lake in the winter is that you wind up on the north side of the lake which turns out to be pretty shallow. *The obvious line between the dam and where Eleanor creek comes into the lake seems to hold fish and now I can see why.

Anyway, I was fishing the usual Kastmater, Little Cleo, Jake's lure, and Thomas Buoyant assortment. * Never saw any signs of fish. *Water was 40 degrees near the dam. *I fished from where Kibbie Creek comes in east to the dam. *

This lake is a bit of a legend around here with reports of 24" rainbows being caught once in a while. *No real road access, big lake, DFG wild trout fishery, no motor boats, creek closed because of spawning, and its all stuck in a national park. *I love it.

kibbie creek or frog creek?.. I don't rememmber Kibbie Creek at Eleanor

trout_bum
02-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Kibbie Creek (dry in late summer) spills over the cliff face on the North East side of the lake. Frog Creek is more to the South East. Eleanor Creek is to the East. The boulders in the pictures shown above were underwater when I went there. They look to be close to the Kibbie Creek area. I did fish that area some, but the drop-off seemed to further out than I could cast to. Great pictures by the way! I'm beginning to see the areas to concentrate on next time I go back.

Flycanoe
02-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey Slim, thanks for the pics. I really want to visit it now. This June for sure when I camp on the Tuolumne, but an earlier trip also sounds like a great idea.

Hey trout-bum, thanks for the info. A canoe at lake eleanor huh, now that is an idea. * *