PDA

View Full Version : Folsom on Fiday

fishinator
01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
I plan on going to Folsom on friday with Gills. Anybody else going out?
Any info on where and what is working would be appreciated. Hoping to be in the water about 7:30ish. I'll be checking channels for any fellow sniffers.

fishinator

AllFishNoWork
01-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Good luck out there. The shad excel, several needlefish nor copcar apex did anything for me yesterday in the So Fork :(

no_anchor
01-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Fishinator,
I've had some good fishing between folsom pt.(dyke8) and the dam. Excels in a shad pattern trolled around 2mph has been working well. Needle fish in the cop car color have also been working. They have also been planting trout over at Granite Bay. For the salmon I would troll the excels down at 20 to 30ft on the riggers and for the trout try toplinning crawlers behind a sidekick. I wont be out there on Friday but will be out on Sat. Good luck and hope this helps.

No Anchor

fishfool1
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Fishinator-

I'm going to be out tomorrow AM. I'm going to fish the S fork and the dam to dyke 8. I usually trolling spoons between 15' to 25' at the dam and a dodger/flasher with either a spoon/needlefish or a nightcrawler at the south fork. When trolling a nightcrawler, I tie a double hook setup on the leader, hook the front of the crawler with the first hook and the back of the crawler with bottom hook. Seems to work pretty well as the trout usually won't swallow the whole crawler and they don't swallow the bottom hook. This makes it easy to c&r. I'll post tomorrow with the results. If anyone sees me out there, give a shout! I'm in a 14' klamath with a 15hp mec. Look for the japanese guy trying to keep his lines untangled while driving on right side of the lake :D :D :D :D :D

Bent rods!

Greg

fishinator
01-24-2007, 09:11 PM
thanks for some input guys, I look forward to landing one or 2 or more. Any other info ? i will take.
fishinator

isaaco77
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I've been using needlefish (green w/spots) at 25'otw @2.3 mph for about a fish per hour per rod. Only been catching kings, all aroud 13-14".
Good luck and try the side of the dam where beals point drops off.
Should be a beautifull day, you'd think we were in SoCal with the weather we've been having. I've been working in Granite Bay and can't stop thinking about the boat on the water but unfortuanately I won't be able to go out till next week.
I'll look forward to your report.
IsaacO

SideJump
01-25-2007, 06:56 AM
no anchor, Isaac0,

Thanks for the information. I'm glad the fishing has been picking up out there. I'm going to try to get out there this weekend and hopefully do something. Were you dragging any hardware in front of the Needlefish and Excels for the Kings?

SideJump

no_anchor
01-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Sidejump,
I have not been using any dodgers or flashers. Something about this year but I haven't done good with dodgers. I am going to try a Kone Zone this weekend to see if it works as good as everyone says it works.

No Anchor

tdrobison
01-25-2007, 08:05 AM
OK I'll bite. What is a Kone Zone?

--BlueFin

AllFishNoWork
01-25-2007, 08:09 AM
http://konezone.com/

no_anchor
01-25-2007, 08:13 AM
My buddies in Washington use these things in the salt water and in the fresh water, they say they work awesome. They also use a similiar type of attractor called a fish flash. We'll see if they work this weekend. I'll let you know.
No Anchor

loose_goose
01-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Don't be afraid to try s large slingblade (8") with pink (small) kokanut....it worked for me near mouth of s.fork..........it really worked good at Shasta.....wish I could fish friday but not :'( :'(.................
good luck...........marty

fishinator
01-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Sounds like all good info, I'll be trying a little of everything tomorrow till I find what works' I seen those " konezones" at the ISE show. My buddy bought the long one to try this April when ocean Salmon season opens. I have a small one on order. I'll post my report friday night.

fishinator 8-)

onemore_pass
01-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Loose Goose
I shouldn't say this but--- "Wasn't Retirement Nice". Just joking my friend. ;)

no_anchor
01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
OK I'll bite.
I hope the fish think the same way this weekend.

SideJump
01-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info No_Anchor. Don't forget to post how the Kone Zone works. I see them every year at the show and I convince myself they look too good to work. If I go Saturday I'll keep an eye out for you.

SideJump

isaaco77
01-25-2007, 08:35 PM
no anchor, Isaac0,

*Were you dragging any hardware in front of the Needlefish and Excels for the Kings?

SideJump

No dodgers, or flashers. I don't think it matters and it's a lot more fun fighting the fish without a dodger. I attach the needlefish with a snap swivel, seems to work good.

SideJump
01-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks Isaac0. I usually drag speedy shiners and golden eyes but lately they haven't been working so well. I have a couple of the frog patterns and I'll give them a try. Thanks, SideJump

tdrobison
01-25-2007, 10:22 PM
OK I'll bite.
I hope the fish think the same way this weekend.

It is suppose to start clouding up Friday, and into Saturday. I hope that helps. I plan on being out there Sat.

I have a new dodger/grub combination I want to try on top, and of course, the ever popular needlefish on the rigger.

--BlueFin

no_anchor
01-26-2007, 06:13 AM
One last tip on the excels I have been using. I take small and I mean small pieces of anchovy and tip the hook with it. Last Saturday it out fished an identical excel at the same depth without the anchovy 7 to 2.

SideJump
01-26-2007, 09:47 PM
No_Anchor,

I talked to Empire today and he and Silver_Streak had a tough day Tuesday. He said they marked a lot of fish, but it was a tough bite that day. I bet the anchovy was that little extra incentive for them to attack. That's a good tip thanks for sharing.

I'll have to go without... read this too late to pick up bait. I'll improvise and use extra scent. Have you tried mooching yet with anchovies? Sounds like that might work right now.

SideJump

fishinator
01-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Well fished folsom yesterday from 7:30 til 2pm. Man, tough day! one take down that didn't stick and that was it. marked alot of fish, but no takers :-?. Talked with silverstreak, he had one. I'll say the weather was nice and had a good time with Gills. But I still would of liked to have caught a fish. maybe next week.
fishinator

Silver_Streak
01-27-2007, 11:52 AM
It was nice talking to you fishinator. Yes, it was a tough day of fishing! I figured it would be...the weather hasn't changed. *>:( I caught one small king 13" and no other hits all morning. I changed lures so much that morning that the boat was a mess! They weren't interested in anything that I offered them. I also didn't mark many bait balls this time out in the south fork. It will get better!! *;)

isaaco77
01-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Sounds like you guys are spending a lot of time up the south fork. I would spend more time around the dam from beals to folsom point.

Silver_Streak
01-28-2007, 07:32 AM
IsaacO, the fish are really spread out. They haven't been concentrated in any one place. Some days they're out by the dam, other times up the south fork. You have to cover a lot of water to find them, or just have luck on your side. This time of year, timing is EVERYTHING. If you go too far up the south fork the water drops in temp considerably. I think this is why more fish have been found in the main body of the lake. ;)