PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid 01/21/07

Pyramid_Kid
01-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Met up with Hetchy, Doc, and his little brother this morning. Went north to the needle and worked our way south on the west side. Hooked into about 10 fish mostly slot fish with one almost to 24". Trolled lymans , apexs, and flat fish in a variety of colors. Learned a valueable lesson about trolling 3 poles all with lymans. Not a good idea. We had a three way tangle and it wasnt pretty. Water temp was about 40-42 water depth from 15'-50. Trolling depth top line to 30 ft. Not a stellar day but I had a good time and learned alot. I forgot to grab my camera in my haste to get out the door so sorry no photo's this trip.

okie
01-21-2007, 09:22 PM
good report kid. thinking of going out tuesday, with the boat if i can find a rider or try from the bank at spider and blockhouse. last few times i have been out there cold was all i caught. i have been told the water temp is to cold for a good bite. but a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

fishdude76
01-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Seems like it was pretty slow yesterday. I only hooked 3 and boated 2. One at 21 and one at 22. Stingking with E-chip, a spoon, and a flatfish. Ed fared a little better than I in terms of fish but not size. Its cold out there and be sure to layer up.

PK did you guys stay at that spot for the majority of the day or did you finally move? Tight lines.

We kept marking fish but by the time we circled back around they were gone. The fish we kept hooking were cruisers.

Pyramid_Kid
01-22-2007, 08:41 AM
PK did you guys stay at that spot for the majority of the day or did you finally move?

Fish76,
No, we move over into the area that you and Ed were in when we first got there. The we kept moving south along the western side. About 3pm we went back to the launch dropped off Doc and his brother. Then went down to the nets area graphed a few fish but saw no action.

drstressor
01-22-2007, 08:44 AM
We caught about 5 fish in Wizard Cove, which is the bay to the West of the Needles. That was the place I was trying to get you guys to try while we fished East of the Needles (for nada). There are a bunch of hot springs in there and the water was a couple of degrees warmer in close to shore. We hit a pretty 5 lb buck in there on the top line in about 18 ft of water. The rest of the fish were caught at the Willows/9 mile beach area. It was a slow pick. The fish were scattered throughout the water column and most didn't seem interested in feeding. For some reason we did better trolling faster (~2-2.2 mph) with Apexes and Lymans than pulling flatfish slowly.

Ed needs to get his radio fixed. Unless we were transmitting at 5 W. :-/

Martinez Frank
01-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey Kid, What was the weather like? Has it warmed up from last couple weeks?

Pyramid_Kid
01-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey Kid, What was the weather like? Has it warmed up from last couple weeks?
The weather. *It was sunny all day that day. Going to be sunny all day today too. *The outside temp for our trip was about 40 F. *I'm hoping that our cold snap is over. *Ive been looking at the forcast and its supposed to only get warmer as the week goes by.

7 day forcast for this week for Pyramid Lake according to weather.gov is as follows

Today mostly sunny, east winds to 5mph temp of 42.

Tomorrow mostly sunny south east winds to 3, High 46

Wednesday mostly sunny east wind to 3 , high 47

Thursday, partly cloudy high 47

Friday , partly cloudy, high 45

Saturday, partly cloudy, high 43

Sunday, partly cloudy, high 43

Monday, mostly sunny high 45

lemonsp
01-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey Pyramid Kid and Doc. We were out there Sunday as well and looking to maybe catch up with you guys. We did about the same as you guys but were on the south end of the lake. We caught 7 from 8am to around 1:30pm down around the Tamaracks. Most of ours were caught on green lymans at about 30 feet in about 40 feet of water. We did catch one fairly nice one at about 5.5lbs. All the others were slot fish. Like you guys said, slow day but nice weather once it warmed up from the morning.

drstressor
01-22-2007, 01:30 PM
You guys left too early. ;) We had no cell coverage up at the North end, so I couldn't call you.

lemonsp
01-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah we didn't want to leave that early but when football calls then sometimes fishing has to suffer. :o

Mr_Ed
01-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Doc;

I have been on the lake nine times before the 21st, this year.

Had NO problem with MY radio..................Pelican to HC.

Think someones squelch or something was not adjusted correctly. :-[

Fish are like people...........When it gets cold , they head for the "heater" !! (springs) To warm their "tail". 8-)

The only other way (21st) was in water deeper than 55 feet....... ;)

Since we were on the water at 9 and fishing at 9:41, sort of bad, when
this time of year is prime from 6:45 til 8am c/o the AM shot.

Have to agree with the fast troll also.............

Cover more water when things are slow.

Slow is great if find them "stacked".........just never happened.

I will be back out in my boat when the air is above 32 degrees again......

That sitting at the dock for 30 min, to wait for the water to shoot out of
the motor, is a bunch of #$@*&%.

Good hunting, I mean fishing

Ed

UNCLE_OTTO2
01-22-2007, 06:45 PM
I have not been fishing early lately due to the temps. Has the bite been better?

Fishing has been good all weekend. Targeted the fish I found on the graph with good success. Trolling & jigging.

Be very careful out there. A lot of boats are not made to operate at sub-zero temps. 20% of boats sink in the water from broken livewell lines. Your bilge may not work, too. That ramp & dock can be hazardous as well.

See you out there next weekend.

BigB
01-22-2007, 10:16 PM
I was also on the lake yesterday. We crossed over to Hell's Kitchen. We got on water after 9:30 and the water was a little rough going over. but boy did it flatten out after while. It was so nice that we did not even have to fire up heater.

We caught 10-12 fish. The color of the day for us was green. My friend caught all of his fish on a frog pattern Apex, using a 3 oz bananna weight. I caught a few on green colored spoons, using a one ounce bananna weight.

We tried some different colors, but did not have any luck with them. We also used used the downriggers and caught a few between 18 and 30 ft. On the downrigger, I was using a green with black striped J-Plug.

brian

Big_Country
01-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the reports.

I'll be back on the lake March 10th and 11th -- I expect the weather will be a tad warmer than our last trip 10 days ago. If anyone has plans to be at Pyramid then, let me know.

BC 8-)

UNCLE_OTTO2
01-23-2007, 07:08 PM
I plan to be there.

Mickey_Thomas
01-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Big Country said;
I'll be back on the lake March 10th and 11th Hey BC, did you forget about Feb? I don't think I can wait that long :-/

Mako
01-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Feb sounds like a good time to go for some hogs

Jwood
01-24-2007, 08:38 AM
I will be up there fishing on the 11th and will be there thru the 14th. I havn't been since last March so am chomping at the bit. Will be staying at Crosbys.

Big_Country
01-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey BC, did you forget about Feb? I don't think I can wait that long :-/

unfortunately some of us are still among the employed -- and two of my kids are getting busy with high school baseball -- gotta plan way in advance these days. *Won't be long until the kids are all grown up/moved away and I can get out to play more often... *;)

Mr_Ed
01-24-2007, 06:51 PM
This Friday will be 22 low and 51 high.............

Just in case anyone wants to giveit a try.

You might see me out there in my brand new boots,
with a fly rod in my hand !!

Get Er Done !!.............. ;D

lemonsp
01-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Be sure to post a report of the shore fishing. We will be out there friday trolling and then again saturdy to try some fly fishing from our pontoons. Hopefully this weekend will be better than last.

Pyramid_Kid
01-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Bump

theRick
01-26-2007, 10:07 AM
* * Here's what Thursday looked like, an absolutely beautiful day, no wind and lots of fish! (nothing over 24" though). *This pic was taken at noon:

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/520/medium/Fish_036.jpg

I was by myself so no pics of fish, I released them at the boat while still in the water.

Big_Country
01-26-2007, 10:45 AM
nice shot of Hell's Kitchen...beautiful day. Thanks for sharing.

BC 8-)

hetchy
01-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Just returned from 5 days on the lake. Not wide open fishing but enough to keep it interesting. Best day on Thursday at the Needles on U20 flatfish, pearl white and silver/pink at about 1 mph with 1/2 oz. keel weights,15 fish. In the area to the west that Doc. showed us on Sunday. Explored the whole lake from one end to the other. Even drove the truck to the east side on Tues when the fishing was really slow. I understand that the fishing has been on the slow side since the cold spell. Going back up on March 12 for 5 days. It was hard leaving today. Just parked there in front of the store for a bit and looked at the lake. Another great weather day. It was nice meeting some of you on Sunday and fishing with Doc, Docs brother and Pyramid Kid. Mr. Eds boat moves. I'm not sure what was going on with our radios. I gave a guy a radio check from the Needles and no problems. Boats going to Johnson Hicks next week for a Flo Scan install. I'm going to have them check the radio.

Pyramid_Kid
01-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Bob,
Good to know you made it over the hill safe. I drove out on Tuesday about noon to charge up the battery on my little Z car. Saw you cruising around in Pelican bay. I thought about driving down and trying to flag you down. But I didnt have my gear with me.

I almost envy you for the 5 days you were out. Cold morning but mostly sunny days and calm winds for nearly 5 days in a row. Once again it was a pleasure to have finally met you. I dont think there is anything wrong with you VHF. Its a line of sight radio. If Mr Ed was behind a point when we called him we would come through weak and unreadable. Plus Doc mentioned that we may have only been pushing out at 5 watts.

I will try to make myself available for you March trip if you have seats available. Other wise I will just drag my boat out.

Unitll then.

PK
Bryant

hetchy
01-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Yea Bryant

It was nice fishing with you. Sure lets get together when I'm there in March. Same deal, start Sunday, leave Friday am. Tues when you saw us at Pelican we were coming back to the ramp to take out, then we drove over to the east side and checked the lake out from the road. For some reason it sounded like fun tossing lures from the shore but after a couple of tosses it was, this is nuts we have a boat back on the other side of the lake. But when you are there for that long its nice to get off the boat and stretch you legs a bit and see some different country. Saw a helicopter buzzing the lake and figured it might be you but is was one of those old twin blades, Chinook maybe?