PDA

View Full Version : Pine Flat Saturday 1-13-07

zinger
01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Launched at Trimmer at 6:45, outside temp was 22* and to make things worse, it was was pretty darn windy (TrollinScotsman had to take his top down to keep the boat straight). Started catching fish right off the get-go, in/around Sycamore Creek. Most fish came on a rainbow rapala, with rolled shad coming in a close second. Once the sun came out things slowed up quite a bit. Off the water at 12:30, with 3 kings, and 4 rainbows for the day. Only kept one. Biggest bow went 15.5 inches and 1b 3oz...and guys...those kings are growing fast! We're going to have a good time with those in a year or two. Oh and water temp was 53.5*.

Jim I had a good time talking on the radio with you. Took a picture as you were passing by but the sun made a nasty glare.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/5088/pineflat11307001mt3.jpg
Yes...that's ice on the shore.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/6416/pineflat11307002cs1.jpg
Windy gap once it wasn't so "windy"

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1645/pineflat11307003no5.jpg
I think this one owed another fish some money. What do you guys think?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2363/pineflat11307004bm6.jpg

fishon_chris
01-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Good job Zinger,I hope the weather warms up a little buy the mini fest.I have never had any luck on frozen Shad up there I will have to try it again.This time i will use Ironheads shad rigs he gave me :).I wont be able to fish the lake untill the day before the mini fest.

I am relly looking forward to the fest and ready to meet more sniffers.

Chris ;D

dapainter
01-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Looks like that bow got away from a hawk ,or the propeller.Where is pine flat.? [smiley=beer.gif]

zinger
01-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah I bet that's what it was...a hawk. Pine Flat is in the foothills east of Fresno.

Chris, if it's that cold on the weekend of the fest it will make for some tough fishing and camping. My dad and Jim and I had a tough time getting line out this morning cuz it was frozen to the reel.

BTW, alot of those oranges aren't going to make it. Quite a few of the orchards we passed had icicles hanging from the limbs.

fishon18
01-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Zinger,

Great report considering the conditions (brrrr). That trout looks like it has seen better days.I'm taking as much information from you guys for the upcoming fest. I thought that with the recent cold front, it might kill the bite all together, but I was wrong. Keep those reports coming, and thanks again Zinger. Fishon18 :)

fishnfool2
01-13-2007, 07:24 PM
YOU GUYS LAUNCHING AT TRIMMER, ARE YOU DRIVING AROUND
THE LAKE OR COMING IN THE BACK WAY. I DROP INTO TRIMMER
FROM BURROUGH VALLEY. JUST CURIOUS.
* * * * I WILL BE THERE FRIDAY NIGHT FOR "BEER FEST" AT
ISLAND PARK.

JoeTech
01-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Congrats on a good day of fishing. Did you say 22 and windy...it must of felt like it was like 10 with that wind. Where there many other boats out there?

Trolling Scotsman
01-13-2007, 08:18 PM
I launched at Trimmer right after Zinger and started having problems from the get go… As Zinger mentioned, the wind was up and I had to take my top down just to keep the boat on course. I followed Zinger around a bit and picked up a shaker on a Fire Tiger Apex but by the time I got the line reeled in the top two eyes on my rod were frozen closed. Then when I tried to release my line I found that it was frozen to my reel. Every time I reeled in to change lures I couldn’t get my line back out because it either froze on the reel or in the eyes of my rod. I got my downrigger snagged in some rocks and broke the line clip but I was able to save my Rapala! Anyway, I made a few round at Sycamore but never had near the luck that Zinger did. (That kid could troll a frozen glacier and come out with fish…) I finally decided to run back toward Trimmer and see if I could mark some fish but I never really picked up anything. I was so cold I finally trailered the boat and headed home about 11:00 am.

Sorry I didn’t get this out sooner but it took all day to get the feeling back in my fingers. Oh well, better luck next time… Jim

zinger
01-13-2007, 09:03 PM
I was wondering where you went. Sounds like you did the smart thing and got the heck out of there! ;D It was a pretty tough day between the freezing guides, reels, fingers, and wind. At least you managed to get the skunk off the boat, and also get some pre-fest fishing in.

lonestar12
01-13-2007, 09:05 PM
wow now thats cold :o !! better luck next time

zinger
01-13-2007, 09:10 PM
YOU GUYS LAUNCHING AT TRIMMER, ARE YOU DRIVING AROUND
THE LAKE OR COMING IN THE BACK WAY

We're driving around the lake. It's only 10-15 minutes past Lombardos, and on a day like today, I'd much rather drive it in a warm truck then battle the wind/cold in the boat.

Congrats on a good day of fishing. Did you say 22 and windy...it must of felt like it was like 10 with that wind. Where there many other boats out there?

Joe, you heard me right. I don't think I've ever been in 10 degree weather, but I have been at shaver in the teens and today felt much colder. As for boats...saw maybe 2-3 other trollers and dozens of bass boats (bass tournament).

Ironhead
01-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Good job guys. It sure was cold in my easy chair reading the paper, waiting for the grass to dry.

I also took a drive up to Island Park today and noticed the wind was blowing, and all the ice hanging off the orange trees on the way up was quite the site.

I am sure we are in for a treat tomorrow also. I did see where the weather site said 50* for a high. Hope it gets there fast.

Ironhead

lonestar12
01-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Zinger, you are die hard !!! I think I'll wait for little warmer weather.. 8-) Nice catch though..Fish On!

Ironhead
01-13-2007, 09:17 PM
[quote]

Joe, you heard me right. I don't think I've ever been in 10 degree weather, but I have been at shaver in the teens and today felt much colder. As for boats...saw maybe 2-3 other trollers and dozens of bass boats (bass tournament).

Zinger, it did not feel cold at Shaver because you never got farther than 2 feet from my heater, that's why your downrigger got hung up.

Ray@q97
01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I am proud of you guys going out in this cold. I grew up near Buffalo and really had the ice, cold and snow. I am inside by the fire with a 55 inch TV watching movies..........looks like you got a couple of fish...and the one with the hunk out of it.....I think Ironhead took a bite out of it, he is a die hard Sushi guy.

Zinger I don't know the locations of the names, like sycamore creek, is the the bay on the same side as trimmer toward the kings river? I need to bring a pine flat map and have you guys mark all the names.........

And it better warm up for the Sniffer fest.......or I will stay by the fire and just drink.........

Ray

Martinez Frank
01-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks fpr the report. I am looking foward to the minifest ;) So what should I bring as far as lures and bait? I have downriggers so I am ready to take on the lake ;) ;D

JoeTech
01-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Frank - as far as bait, worms and some frozen shad and lures I would say as long as you have apexs, needlefish, and plugs, you should do fine. Really anything that looks like shad should be fine. Hopefully some of the others who fish the lake more often can ring in and give there thoughts.

Joetech

Martinez Frank
01-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks Joe, I have needle fish and apexes ;) all I need to get is shad and worms. Lets go ;D

BigRichClovis
01-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Wedding Rings have been producing also. Needle Fish, Rapalas,Apex,and Shad. Your basic trout trolling gear will do. I will see you there.

Rich

fishon_chris
01-15-2007, 07:02 AM
The lures and bait that were listed work well.I aslo like to use shad colored Excels,Humdingers,Cripplures in shad pattern.

Chris :)

haarhouse
01-15-2007, 12:28 PM
hi, the cut on the trout is diffently a fresh water shark. dont ya know.

troutfan
01-15-2007, 12:45 PM
hi, the cut on the trout is diffently a fresh water shark. dont ya know.
Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?...No! ;D