PDA

View Full Version : Tipping deckhands

DannyDoom
09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Going out for the first time tomorrow and i just want to know how much do people usually tip. Pretty nooby question sorry

SCsurfcaster
09-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I would say 10-20% depending on service. On a 3/4 day boat, fish cleaning plus maybe a 10 or 20 on top will usually cover it. If you win the jackpot and like the boat/crew, you can tip most of the jackpot while maybe paying for galley tab/fish cleaning if you plan on fishing the boat again. As a 3/4 day deckhand..tips range from nothing to $100, obviously being the higher spectrum. with an average from 10-30. That said, with fish cleaning, a 20 spot on top should take care of it id say. Good luck

Cal.Kellogg
09-18-2008, 08:25 AM
On a normal day trip, I tip the deckhand $20.....I win a lot of jackpots so I typically split it with the deckhand....Cal Kellogg

hellbent
09-18-2008, 08:52 AM
I win a lot of jackpots so I typically split it with the deckhand....Cal Kellogg

Remind me not to fish with Cal ;D

sethonious
09-18-2008, 11:49 AM
I haven't been on a party boat in a LONG time and maybe things have changed. I was always taught that you tip the captain and he gets to give what he sees fit to his crew. The only exception is if the hand cleans your fish for you, in which case you are paying for the service not a tip.

dbass
09-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I always tipped the hand that was servicing me ;D. When I get the jackpot, I give the Captn his due.

SCsurfcaster
09-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Fish cleaning money is usually split evenly among crew minus the galley cook. If you tip the captain, he is gonna throw it into net tips and split among crew. If not, crew is getting ripped off.

slick88
09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
From my experience on going on party boats in the Bay Area fleet, I think tipping the deckhands is sufficient. I don't think captains here expect tips unless they are 6-pack boats and there are no deckhands.

In general, the deckhands on the larger boats clean the fish. One exception was when I was on the GoldenEye 2000 and the captain cleaned the halibut & stripers.

Usually, at the end of the trip, the captains remind the customers to "take care of the deckhand."

As for jackpots, I 've tipped about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total depending on how good the deckhand performed.

gamecook
09-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Speaking as a former deckhand on the East Coast, back in the late 1980s, $5 was OK, $10 normal and $20 a good tip.

These days out here, I never tip less than $15 and typically $30-40 if we had a good day, the mate wasn't a jerk and actually did something to earn the cash -- when I was working, we were running around a lot taking fish off hooks, baiting hooks, tying knots and offering advice to a lot of parents with kids. Tips generally go up when Little Johnny hooks you in the arm (or worse) and you smile and deal with it politely...

I have tipped beyond $40, but only on long-haul trips (tuna, for example) or when the mate did something special.

Hope that helps.

Farrier_Frank
09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the boards, DannyDoom. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Anytime a deck hand helps me have a good day and cleans the fish I always drop $20 in his pocket... sometimes more. That's how he makes a living. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

scfisher831
09-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Fish cleaning money is usually split evenly among crew minus the galley cook. If you tip the captain, he is gonna throw it into net tips and split among crew. If not, crew is getting ripped off.

surfcaster.You have deckhanded on party boats down south rite?Here in the Montery Bay the way you tip deck hands is diffrent.The captains of the boat don't get tips.They work for a set rate for each trip or paid by the hour depends on how the *shop owner they work for wants to pay them some are also their own boses.Deckhands get no money or wages from the shop owner as they work for tips only.If you been on a party boat here most have signs in them asking to tip the deckhands as they work for tips only.Making anglers happy is the way to get those tips.
During rockfish season most deckhands charge $1.00 per fish for fish cleaning.Alot of fisherman tip on top off that too.Some just pay you to clean their fish only with no tip being give.I found most are generous with tips and some aren't no matter how hard you work for the boat.
When salmon trips were being run its mainly working for tips if anglers don't want their catch fillet.Gutting and gilling of the salmon is a normal task that the deckhand does for the boat.All deckhands like tips and they remember the good tipers that come back to fish again if you catch my drift ;).Deckhanding is not a easy thing to do as it can break the bank or *the tips you get can make your day.I know as I have deckhanded for a party boat down here when I was younger.No way I can do it now with a 7yr to take care.Boy do I sure miss it.Too bad the charter company and boat I did it for went belly up.

SCsurfcaster
09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey SC, your right thanks for clearing it up. My deck experience is from Channel Islands area and the tipping/wages are quite different. Sorry for the confusion. Down there, deckies get a wage (usually min. and only for 8 hours of a 12 hour day, only 12-16 hours on an overnight). Tips get split with capt and deckhands evenly. Up here deckies only get tips, very tough so treat your deckhands right and show your appreciation. Tip on top of fish cleaning and if you tip well, deckhands will remember you for sure!

lakehopper
09-18-2008, 03:40 PM
I typically give $20, and if I win the jackpot I give the deckhand the whole pot. I figure it only cost me $5 to give him $100 ++ Also if you fish a lot and it is slow, the crew sometimes fishes also. If you are a good tipper they will hand you the rod when they hook a ling or large fish. You take care of them and they take care of you, Karma!!

slick88
09-18-2008, 04:18 PM

surfcaster.You have deckhanded on party boats down south rite?Here in the Montery Bay the way you tip deck hands is diffrent.The captains of the boat don't get tips.They work for a set rate for each trip or paid by the hour depends on how the *shop owner they work for wants to pay them some are also their own boses.Deckhands get no money or wages from the shop owner as they work for tips only.If you been on a party boat here most have signs in them asking to tip the deckhands as they work for tips only.Making anglers happy is the way to get those tips.
During rockfish season most deckhands charge $2.00 per fish for fish cleaning.Alot of fisherman tip on top off that too.Some just pay you to clean their fish only with no tip being give.I found most are generous with tips and some aren't no matter how hard you work for the boat.
When salmon trips were being run its mainly working for tips if anglers don't want their catch fillet.Gutting and gilling of the salmon is a normal task that the deckhand does for the boat.All deckhands like tips and they remember the good tipers that come back to fish again if you catch my drift ;).Deckhanding is not a easy thing to do as it can break the bank or *the tips you get can make your day.I know as I have deckhanded for a party boat down here when I was younger.No way I can do it now with a 7yr to take care.

I've talked with a few captains and they said most deckhands in the Bay Area get $100 flat fee from the boat/captain, so at least they get something if nobody tips them. I don't know about boats with more than one deckhand though, i.e. whether each gets $100 or not.

realdeal
09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I usually tip around 20 % of the cost, unfortunately the money is usually covered with fish slime and scales. :-[

aledwards
09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Going out for the first time tomorrow and i just want to know how much do people usually tip. *Pretty nooby question sorry

It's a GOOD question. Take care of the deckhands, in most cases they work hard so you can enjoy your trip. The Monterey PB owners dont pay the deckhands much (if anything) so all they make are tips. The bay area boats do pay their deckhands a flat rate per trip but they depend on tips to fill the gap. I have not fished PB's for many years but always tipped the deck guys good day or bad. You have to remember, if it's a slow fishing day they dont make much cleaning money and people tend not to tip if they dont catch fish. - Al

Chief_Sniffer
09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
I win a lot of jackpots so I typically split it with the deckhand....Cal Kellogg

Oh please... ;D

chrisd
09-19-2008, 07:11 AM

*With all that pot money maybe you should think about getting one of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42210

Now that is funny ;D

G-whiz
09-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Here's one... *next week, I'm going out on a 24' Cat off the Puna Coast, of the Big Island, for a "3 hour tour". Trailer launched fishing trip with a capt and 6 fisherman. They provide tackle and the boat keeps the fish (although they will send us home with enough fish for a dinner "maybe"). The cost is $200 each. Would you tip the Capt. on a trip like that?
Thanks... *Whiz

metalmouth
09-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Here's one... *next week, I'm going out on a 24' Cat off the Puna Coast, of the Big Island, for a "3 hour tour". Trailer launched fishing trip with a capt and 6 fisherman. They provide tackle and the boat keeps the fish (although they will send us home with enough fish for a dinner "maybe"). The cost is $200 each. Would you tip the Capt. on a trip like that?
Thanks... *Whiz
You pay $200 and the boat keeps your fish. I'd say they got their tip. >:(

scfisher831
09-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Thats what must boats do on the Islands.Charge fisherman money to catch fish,while the boat keeps the fish.Most of these boats then sell your catch to a buyer on the market.I wouldn't tip him either.Heck he should pay you for catching his fish ;D

metalmouth
09-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I agree. It's like paying to be a deck hand for them. :-/

G-whiz
09-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks fella's... that's what I was thinking. I just wanted to get Sniffer opinion's. $200 for 3 hours is pretty stiff, but there isn't many boat's that'll take you out on that side of the Island.
Thanks again for the input... Whiz

żżż
09-21-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't recall the name of the charter but the last time I was on the big island I went on a charter that let you keep the fish (if you caught one). On my particular trip there were eight passengers and each was assigned a rod. It was luck of the draw if you caught something. Once a fish is hooked, all lines come up. Our trip had two marlin to the boat and each person elected to release it (which I was glad to see). They were both 150#+. If they decided to keep the fish they would have to find a way to process it.

If you're interested I can try to locate which charter it was. It was on the Kona side though. :(

gmdcdvm
09-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Its funny to see how different fishing "cultures" have evolved. I head about East Coast and Hawaii trips where they don't let you keep the fish. I have also heard that a lot of them do not make it clear when you sign up that you wont be keeping the fish. I wonder how that culture developed, and how they are able to stay in business.

As for tipping deckhands, I have seen a number of different attitudes depending on whether or not you fish in So Cal or up here. Down south its become an expectation that you will tip the deckhand, and if you win the jackpot that most if not all of it go to the crew. I don't know where this type of culture developed from, but its the reason I no longer enter jackpots down south. At the same time the overall quality of deckhands on local trips down south has diminished.

When I moved up here and started fishing locally I was surprised, and it was a little refreshing to finally see deckhands working hard and earning their tips. I have yet to be out on a party boat out here where the deckhands have been slacking off. At the same time there is no expectation for a tip per say, and I have never seen them trying to take a cut of the jackpot. I have seen guys down south hint at getting a cut or even coming right out and asking for a cut of the jackpot, but not up here. I think we have gone over these issues in other post some time ago. From my experience the crews work hard, put in a lot of time, and generally I think they earn their tips. With that being said I don't think its mandatory, and should be done on an individual basis. I typicall tip about $20. Sometimes more if they really work it, and rarely less if I don't think they were quite up to snuff. One thing I never do is base my tips on how much fish we catch. Like others have mentioned a lot of people tend to tip less when they catch less fish. These are usually the days were the crew is putting in that extra effort to find the fish and get them aboard.

So, have fun out there, enjoy the fishing, and just tip them what you think is appropriate for the work they have done.
Gerry

gamecook
09-22-2008, 10:08 AM
The only time I've ever heard of you not being able to keep your catch back East is on tuna trips when someone hauls in a bluefin -- typically that's the captain's fish -- although a good captain will treat you VERY WELL after that (free trips, etc) because you can sell them for several thousand at the dock -- I paid for a semester's tuition at SUNY one fall with a bluefin I sold to the Japanese...

chrisd
09-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Someone charges me $200 to go fish and then keeps the fish, I definately have a tip for them. Won't mention it here though.

P.S. El Jefe Chingon ;D ;D I like that.

Fin
09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Maybe a stupid question but...

What if you'd rather fillet your own fish? Is it inapropriate to do so (not on the boat)?

And if you fillet your own, how much tip is needed???

slick88
09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Maybe a stupid question but...

What if you'd rather fillet your own fish? *Is it inapropriate to do so (not on the boat)?

And if you fillet your own, how much tip is needed???

It's OK to clean your own fish. I've seen a handful of guys on each trip say they save the $$$ and do it at home or at the dock. It's not appropriate to do it on the boat, of course. I think you should still tip the deckhand if he/she did a good job for you, like $10-20 on the larger boats.

Toxic_Waste
09-22-2008, 03:51 PM
I have seen deckhands working the party boats out of Monterey who deserved good tips. They were constantly hopping back and forth helping everyone, untangling lines (a lot), gaffing fish, tying on new lures, cutting bait, managing the rental rods and reels, cleaning fish, taking care of seasick kids, offering advice, answering questions, going over regulations and you-name-it. Sometimes they even had to put up with customers who did nothing but ***** and complain no matter what.

I remember one time when a family of five from Nebraska went out for their first deep-sea fishing trip and they kept EVERY mackerel and sand dab they caught. They had hundreds in their gunny sacks! Back on the dock, the deckhand spent at least 2 hours just on their haul alone. The dad handed the guy a $5 bill and thought that was a good tip! To this day I still feel for that poor deckhand. (This particular outfit wasn't charging a per-fish amount for cleaning.)

Whenever we went out, we tipped at least $20 (above the cleaning charge) on the boat, sometimes more, depending on the situation.

tuna_head
09-22-2008, 03:59 PM
tip em they work there buns off when you get off the boat they have 4 5 hours more work 16 hr days. tip the cook if you want a good breakfast before the am bite tip em before u fish tell them your a rookie and would like some pointers bait choice line size hook size these guys hnow the ropes

Tom_Dolan
09-23-2008, 09:37 AM
15-20% of the charter fee. So if someone paid $130 and wanted to tip good (20%) they would give the deckhand $26. *If six people fished and wanted to tip 20% the total tip would be $156. *Comes out to about $15-19 an hour wages.

Fish cleaning is optional and runs $1 a fish unless some finesse is needed like when cutting up a 30 pound halibut. *Fish cleaning includes filleting, bagging and ice! *That's what good service is all about.

This is for a 6-pack charter tip scenario and is typical for our port. Party boats are a different story. Maybe a party boat captain will chime in this forum and shed some light on the topic.

Captain Tom
MEGA-BITE
Santa Cruz

slick88
09-23-2008, 11:13 AM
The Bay Area party boats I've been on charge roughly $7-10 for a sack of rockfish ($7 for filleting, $10 for gut/gill whole). Some deckhands will scale the fish, some don't. For lingcod, it's an additional $2-3 per fish.

For striped bass & halibut, it's around $3 per fish.

Toxic_Waste
09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I've only taken party boat fishing trips out of Monterey Bay over at the wharf. I have never seen a cook or galley-prepared meal on board, and no talk of any jackpots. I bring my own food, but the jackpots sorta sound like fun. Well, too late anyway...now I go out on the Sea Witch.

Polebrother
09-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Anyone ever tip the deckhands before the fishing starts rather than on the way in?

realdeal
09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Anyone ever tip the deckhands before the fishing starts rather than on the way in? *
I wouldnt do that, I have seen one or two very crappy deckhands in my day, so I want to make sure I am actually tipping for a job well done. I have another question however, would you sniffers tip well for an inept, unskilled deckhand who put forth an extraordinary effort? I recently went on a trip where the deckhand was pretty incompetent (didnt even know what a canary or yelloweye looked like) but tried extremely hard

żżż
09-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Anyone ever tip the deckhands before the fishing starts rather than on the way in? *
I wouldnt do that, I have seen one or two very crappy deckhands in my day, so I want to make sure I am actually tipping for a job well done. I have another question however, would you sniffers tip well for an inept, unskilled deckhand who put forth an extraordinary effort? I recently went on a trip where the deckhand was pretty incompetent (didnt even know what a canary or yelloweye looked like) but tried extremely hard

Would you tip a waiter that got your order wrong, spilled your drink and put his thumb in your food, but was trying hard? Just wondering...

SCsurfcaster
09-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Not the same comparison, if he is putting forth an effort even extraordinary he should be tipped decently. He is still learning and is on his way to being a good deckhand if he keep sup the effort. As far as tipping in the beginning, when people did that to me, I would keep an extra eye on them from the get go so it does help.

żżż
09-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Not the same comparison, if he is putting forth an effort even extraordinary he should be tipped decently. He is still learning and is on his way to being a good deckhand if he keep sup the effort.

Not the same, only it is. Essentially I am asking if you tip a person based on their effort, or their actual service? I'll only speak for myself. I don't expect to earn a 'bonus' if I'm not producing for my company. If I'm struggling at what I'm doing but am learning and working hard, I'd expect to keep my job. Period. The tips will come as I get better. If you're learning on the job, that's called being an apprentice and when I apprenticed, I didn't get paid.

Maybe I'm just a hard-a.

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
09-25-2008, 10:50 AM
In regards to tipping the new guys if he is honest with you in that he states hey i don't know but let me find out or i don't know but i'll have the answer by the end of the trip and he does have the answer vs yeah that canary is a ling being way wrong and way cocky then there is a difference there. I would venture to say that we all at on epoint in life had no clue what we were doing or we were learning give the guy gal a break give them a nice tip.

I have only fished party boats a handfull of times but i always tipped exstremaly well and was treated verry well by the deck hands. I have walked on board ppicked my spot on the rail walked over to the deck hand handed him a 20 and said please make sure i have bait then handed him cleanin g fees and another 20 at the end of the trip i also only go out on two different boat the same two that i first went deep sea fishing on and my family know the owner/capitans of these boats well now.

Ben

Polebrother
09-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Seems to me a good time to tip in advance would be when you take an inexperienced friend or child along for the trip and you want to do everything you can to help them enjoy the experience. * Slipping a $20 to the deckhand in advance and asking them to pay extra attention to you and your guest(s) could help ensure a well-assisted pleasant outing. *SCsurfcaster's post here lends support to this proactive approach. * I know for a fact that tipping in advance at restaurants can often help ensure quality seats and service. *Just a thought about using a different approach.

G-whiz
10-11-2008, 07:26 AM
As for tipping on that, "$200/3hr/boat keeps the fish", Hawaiian boat trip?... We had the time of our lives. It was a 26' Grady White Tigercat. Capt, Deckhand and just our 2 couple party ($800). Awesome lava flow into the water at sunrise, with the boat about 15 yards away from all the action. Absolutely awesome. Then out to a 3 mile buoy, caught 4 Skipjack and I got to pull in a 31lb MahiMahi. What a great trip. We stayed out 4 hours and they really tried to get us on some fish (for the boat). I ended up tipping the capt and deckhand $60 for my gal and I. They gave us 2 pounds of the Mahi. It was just so much fun.
G-whiz