PDA

View Full Version : trolling plastics

first5
01-02-2007, 10:04 PM
besides grubs and the small plastic trout worms, do you guys troll any other types of plastic baits? Tubes? Soft jerkbaits? paddle tail or other swimbaits? Others? :-?

besides grubs, I never hear much about plastics. wondering if a plastic shad imitator might work as well as some of the other wacky things trout will bite. :)

fishpeddler1
01-02-2007, 10:41 PM
sometimes a hoochie skirt behind a dodger works.

HBFishin
01-03-2007, 07:23 AM
I was thinking the same thing with the plastic shad. When I found some in the tackle shop that looked real as could be, I got them.
I have not caught anything on them though. But in all fairness, I have not really given them a good shake either. I have tried only once and without flashers or anything and will give them a try again next time I am out.

If the trout are biting real shads, I cannot imagine how a plastic shad would not work, specially with scent.

As for other plastics.... only worms and grubs.

Athlete24
01-03-2007, 09:06 AM
I agree I have not heard of anyone else trolling plastics other than grubs mostly and maybe worms mostly.

LD
01-03-2007, 09:11 AM
I have had some success with some crappie grubs with a paddle tail, I want to try some differant colors soon, what I have been using is not available from FW anymore.
I like the paddle tail, when the bite is real tenative, it seems to help, as there is not a long tail sticking out past the hook.
LD

Blktailhunter
01-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I've had success at Amador trolling 2" orange and yellow hoochies on the surface. I add an action disc infront of the hoochie to get it some motion. I use a treble hook and put a couple of beads on my leader to get the hook near the tail of the hoochie.

first5
01-03-2007, 11:15 AM
last yr i had success with plastic, mini tube jigs. the crappie-size. with the internal lead heads. did better when using 2 or 3 at a time or when 2 jigs were strung in front of a big rapala. haven't experimented with plastics much beyond this though.

first5
01-03-2007, 11:17 AM
blktail, i like that idea of the action disk in front of a hoochie. might have to give that a try. ;)

kstone44
01-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I fished with a guide several years ago and we used the "action disk" and a 4" berkely power worm and did quit well.

LD
01-03-2007, 03:06 PM
ok... I'll bite... *::)
what is an "action disk".
Like a mini dodger?
Is it commercially made? *

Blktailhunter
01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Here's the link for action discs:

http://www.wigglefin.com/

Put one infront of a grub when the fish aren't biting. *Sometimes they will trigger bites when straight grubs won't.

metalmouth
01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
I like trolling the soft swim baits in trout imitations. The large cuts, browns and macs seem to like them.

first5
01-03-2007, 09:23 PM
hey, Metalmouth/others...what type and size swimbaits do you use?

something like the Storm wild eye swim shads?? i've got some 4" in the shad color and rainbow, with paddle tails, but never had confidence to fish them. :-?

also had some luck with plastic Road Runners, but at a time when a gum wrapper probably would have caught fish. :)

NRJohn
01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
I've used the small 3" Big Hammer swimbaits before with no luck. I know of others that have done very well using them though. They take a small #14 or so treble hook and rig it as a stinger in the tail. Use a needle to thread the line from the middle of the bait out to the back of the tail then tie it off. Tie the loose end around the larger hook in the middle. If you don't use a stinger you'll get a lot of short bites. Or so I've read because I've never gotten one hit using a swimbait. Ive tried using them on more than one occassion too. You have to make sure the action is correct and that the stinger isn't fouling up the tail.

LD
01-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks Blktailhunter, I will have to add those to the stuff to be acquired list.
Has anyone else used these?

Silver_Streak
01-04-2007, 06:59 AM
I have used the small 2"-3" plastic shad or minnows that Berkely makes for trout. I usually put them behind a dodger to give them some action. Try to match the size and color of the bait fish where you are fishing. ;)

Fish_Bully
01-04-2007, 07:57 AM
first5 - I certainly have had success trolling the Storm wild eye chad swimbaits. Even when I bank fish, I'll usually soak bp or worms with one pole and toss these shad swimbaits, shad raps, kastmasters, etc. with the second pole. Nobody told me about the Storm wild eye chad....I spotted them in a store and thought, "those look real".

DO NOT be afraid to try. ;)

HBFishin
01-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Storm wild eye chad....I spotted them in a store and thought, "those look real".

These are the ones I picked up too. For the same reason.
Good to hear that someone is catching on them. Have only given them one try and with no luck so far. But that is fishin'.

first5
01-04-2007, 01:22 PM
thanks, Fishbully.

Hey, Litedrag...one other application of the action disk is to put them in front of a big trolling fly. don't forget a bead btwn the disk and fly. i've seen this work effectively many, many times.

metalmouth
01-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Huddleston and Charlie swim baits catch large fish.

Jwood
01-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Is it possible to pick up the action disc at tackle stores or does it have to be on line. If they can be purchased at a tackle store, where? Thanks. :D

first5
01-04-2007, 07:42 PM
been awhile but i bought a couple packs at Fishermen's Warehouse, Fresno. not sure if they carry them at their other stores. i remember they had a fairly hefty mark-up compared to on-line, but with shipping, it might even out esp. on small quantities (the disks last a long time).

derrickrosare
01-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Not sure if this would work but does/has anyone tried using a spreader to troll with one short leader and one long leader and throw on say a grub and a small rapala or something similar?

metalmouth
01-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Not sure if this would work but does/has anyone tried using a spreader to troll with one short leader and one long leader and throw on say a grub and a small rapala or something similar?
A grub would be for slow trolling and a Rapala would be for fast trolling. One of the two lures would not be working properly.

derrickrosare
01-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Sorry about that but if you had two slow lures on of different colors or two fast would it work? i am just thinking because you have more variety and offerings in the water.

first5
01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Hawai, i've never used a spreader, but yes, what you suggest seems like it could work.

i've been thinking a lot about how to rig something like this in a way that didn't end up in a huge tangled mess. let me know if you figure it out!

i've tried multiple baits/lures, but one behind the other, on one line/leader, rather than splitting to two leaders like the spreader option. Fun to experiment at least. ;)

derrickrosare
01-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah I was thinking of makin one like the ones they sell but wider to help avoid the mess. I will be out somewhere this week, del valle or amador so I will give it a go. I will give you the feedback after.

Maz
01-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Instead of using spreaders or multiple trolling lures on one rod, why not just stack multiple rods on a down rigger. This is much easier with less tangles, and usually leads to multiple hookups.
Maz

derrickrosare
01-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I dont have downriggers otherwise that would be my choice! :'(

first5
01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
i haven't stacked on downriggers so don't know how closely you can stack one line with the next and not get tangled. the other issue would be distance: each line would need to be sent back the same distance in order for the baits to be close. the idea being that the baits presented would need to be close enough to each other so that fish encounter multiple targets close together, and be more likely to strike. the stacking approach does make me think about using one upper line with large multiple attractors, and a lower, stacked line with the lure. sort of like creating your own big fake bait ball with a little straggler behind/below. :D now if i could only get my self to the lake and try some of these things! ;D

wigglefin
08-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Here's the link for action discs:

ActionDiscs - Add swimming action to Bass Baits, Walleye & Kokanee rigs, salmon lures and trolling flies. (http://www.wigglefin.com/)

Put one infront of a grub when the fish aren't biting. *Sometimes they will trigger bites when straight grubs won't.

Take a look at our new Swarm trolling flashers as well

Kokanee Flashers - SWARM Switchblade Kokanee flashers (http://www.wigglefin.com/Swarm_kokanee_flashers.html)

- Dean
WiggleFin Tackle

Jetspray
08-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Take a look at our new Swarm trolling flashers as well

Kokanee Flashers - SWARM Switchblade Kokanee flashers (http://www.wigglefin.com/Swarm_kokanee_flashers.html)

- Dean
WiggleFin Tackle

Looks like a great alternative to blades, more flash, more strikes. Thanks for the post.......Jetspray

wigglefin
08-14-2013, 02:27 PM
blktail, i like that idea of the action disk in front of a hoochie. might have to give that a try. ;)

Here's an underwater video showing a whole range of baits from Kokanee bugs to 4.5" salmon hootchies rigged with ActionDiscs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8H8ZlccOh8

There are a couple videos showing how to tune the type of action you get with the disc on this page:

Kokanee Flashers - SWARM Switchblade Kokanee flashers (http://www.wigglefin.com/Kokanee_rigs.html)

-Dean
WiggleFin Tackle, LLC.

wigglefin
08-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Looks like a great alternative to blades, more flash, more strikes. Thanks for the post.......Jetspray

Jetspray,

I finally have all the colors in stock...

- Dean
WiggleFin Tackle, LLC.

Jetspray
08-18-2013, 04:31 AM
Jetspray,

I finally have all the colors in stock...

- Dean
WiggleFin Tackle, LLC.

I will order some before I fish Pyramid again, getting ready for a long trip to Colorado (no fishing) and then return for Pyramid's opener. It is all in the works.........Jetspray