PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe Browns

Weez
12-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Caught these brown trout on Tahoe this afternoon, slow trolling minnows on 6 pound leader in 25 feet of water, rocky bottom. Smaller fish was 5 pounds, and the fat one was 7.5. Can't seem to make the pic show up here, but here's the link.

[img=http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4061/newyearbrowns008fz1.th.jpg] (http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newyearbrowns008fz1.jpg)

Trout_Terminator
12-30-2006, 09:56 PM
there ya go weez
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i66/TroutTerminator/newyearbrowns008fz1480x640.jpg

Nice fish by the way! what one faught better in your opinion, the 7.5, or the 5?

chicofishrmen
12-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Great Fishes Weez, geez is it a little http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Smilies/cold.gif up there? I won't ask where, but dodger/flasher or not? Again nice lookin fish!

Weez
12-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Who says the obese can't be in fighting shape? Both fish put the hurt on me but the butterball leaped twice and worked for close to 10 minutes to shake or break me.

Weez
12-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks Terminator!

Chico, I caught one with small Seps Colorado flashers and the other on a Seps Pro watermelon dodger. Both minnows injected with my special mix of Pro-Cure bait oils.

BrownMeat
12-30-2006, 10:30 PM
woah! awesome catch! :o

Weez
12-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks Loofa,

Now it feels like a real brown trout thread, complete with controversy. Your point is valid.

My points are:

-I release a good number of browns on Tahoe- I released a couple last week.

-These fish were post-spawn (ask me how I know).

-Contrary to popular belief, browns are not rare or declining on Tahoe, just hard to catch.

-The meat is orange-pink and better than the finest salmon!

roundtail
12-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Couple nice ones.
So Weez is that your personal best. I think I read once that your best was #7 or maybe you've been sneak fishing and not posting??

fsh_on
12-31-2006, 04:31 AM
WOW, two nice Tahoe browns in the same day, way to go Mark ;D ;D I've seen you hold up alot of big fish but i dont think i've ever seen that big of a smile on your face.Once again good job man.

Was the lake fogged in yesterday? From up at the Ridge it kind of looked like it was.

Check your PM

Kenny

troutfan
12-31-2006, 04:56 AM
Those are beautiful Weez. Thanks for sharing! 8-)

Empire
12-31-2006, 07:04 AM
Four fine fat filets for the BBQ! Nice fishies!

Brown trout is my personal favorite tasting salmonid, followed by ocean caught cohos. I wonder how those would taste smoked and canned?

AllFishNoWork
12-31-2006, 07:08 AM
Nice job Weez! Thanks for sharing.

Mickey_Thomas
12-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Good job Mark, nice to see some browns posted here, ;)When did you relalize that you had a Brown on instead of a Mack?

red_perception
12-31-2006, 09:18 AM
Hello from Lake Tahoe, GREAT BROWNIES MARK! It looks like the 7 has chromed out a little more than the 5, did they look like 2 different species in real life? Congrats again and Good luck,Eric :)

BusterBrown
12-31-2006, 09:30 AM
morning red_perception

Where on the lake is it hot for shore fishing, my son just moved up to Gandnerville and he is looking for places to wet his line??

troutfan
12-31-2006, 09:33 AM
There is no hot shore fishing at Tahoe. You can go try Cave Rock but you will get skunked more often than not. Trolling with long set-backs with big stick baits or live minnows is one of the most effective ways to catch those Tahoe beauties.

BusterBrown
12-31-2006, 09:46 AM
thank you Troutfan

can you recommend a good charter service or place where boats can be rented for the day?

troutfan
12-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Gene St. Dennis is one of the most reputable guides on the lake. If you have your own boat and need some direction Mr. Mark Wiza will teach you on your own boat. ;)
http://www.blueribbonfishing.com/

mtalley
12-31-2006, 01:15 PM
I think he realized he had browns when someone told him he should have let them go! Nice fish Mark, I was thinking of sneaking out and casting some lures off cave rock. Mainly to just get out of the cabin, but you never know. Thanks for posting and sharing the info.

Mr_Ed
12-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Geeeze, some guys have all the luck !!

TWO in one day !!

Those are two really nice hogs, there, buddy !! ;)

Nice going....................

However, I normally salt mine down, after I cook them. ;D ;D

Ed

fishermankev
12-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Nice fish Mark. Hope you're doing well.
Kevin

InfamousAngler408
12-31-2006, 05:41 PM
wow
some really nice fish

can't wait to fish the sierra's in the next couple of months

take car and have great new year

Weez
12-31-2006, 07:45 PM
"Was the lake fogged in yesterday? From up at the Ridge it kind of looked like it was. "

Kenny- lake was not fogged on Saturday when I was out but it was this morning. The winter inversion layers are cool, like a cloud fell down and sat on the lake. Can be some really good fishing in the resulting gray-twilight condition but bring GPS or a compass or you can easily get turned around and lost on the lake! It's happened to me.

"So Weez is that your personal best."

Stickbait- that is close, I've had a few just an ounce or two apart in the 7 to 8 pound range.

"When did you relalize that you had a Brown on instead of a Mack?"

That's Mickey T. referring to my new article on this website. Of course you never know for sure until you see the fish, but between the area I was in and the way the first one bit (nipping at the bait; I had to speed up to trigger a solid bite) and fought, I figured him for a brown.

When the second one hit about 15 minutes later in the same area I had little doubt, and then she flew out of the water early on in the fight.

Ironhead
12-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Mark

Awesome fish. That gives new meaning to twin pick. Keep them pic's coming.

Ironhead

troutfan
01-01-2007, 04:15 AM
Hey Mark,
Are you still fishing out of the canoe?

fish_junky
01-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Very Nice fish. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Thanks for sharing and the photos.

fsh_on
01-01-2007, 01:13 PM
but it was this morning. The winter inversion layers are cool, like a cloud fell down and sat on the lake. Can be some really good fishing in the resulting gray-twilight condition but bring GPS or a compass or you can easily get turned around and lost on the lake!

I was out yesterday morning to,the lake was really *fogged in. I started heading north and thought i was heading in the wright direction until i turned on my gps and found myself heading to ward the middle of the lake. It was kind of a weird feeling

froggie
01-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey, great fish...looks like you learned that pose from Gene St. Denis or vice versa. [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
Froggie

metalmouth
01-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Beautiful catch Weez. Always glad to read your posts and your articles.

Latest Article In the Sniffer On Line:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/wiza/061228bigtrout.html

Four fine fat filets for the BBQ! *Nice fishies!

Brown trout is my personal favorite tasting salmonid, followed by ocean caught cohos. *I wonder how those would taste smoked and canned?

They can up really really nice. *;)

FISHNJIM
01-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Nice fish homie.... Thats gotta feel pretty good. Congrats!!