PDA

View Full Version : 12/23/06 Lake Almanor

BrownMeat
12-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Ok, went there today for the final fishing session of 2006 (for me).

Weather was nice, only a slight drizzle for 5 minutes.
I had several bites, and finally landed a 4lb Brown.

My sister beer battered him up and served him up right!

Anyway, excellent way to end 2006, and hope to get tons more fish in 2007!

-Brown Meat

Ketchum
12-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Do tell, location, lures, water temp., etc? ;)

BrownMeat
12-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Dam Area (the cove)

I used an egg sinker/swivel with a larger treble hook. Chartreuse Powerbait

off of the bank

I don't know the water temp, sorry!

I tried my 1/2 oz Rainbow Trout Kastmaster, it drew another Brown in, but didn't bite... he got about 5 ft. from the shore then took off

I was patient with the one I landed, just let him hook himself, didn't swallow, just let him give a good tug before i tried to set the hook

after the initial bite, i just tightened the line, and waited for a couple more tugs before setting

the powerbait seemed like it was freezing on to the hook.... otherwise they would have hooked themselves easily off of the razorsharp hooks

fishingchef
12-24-2006, 09:05 AM
In the winter there you really have to let them have the bait for a min or two. I like to use the bobber/swivel method for a strike indicator and once I see them taking the bait open bail and let about 5 feet of line lay on the water. when Its gone and rod loads up with weight from the fish use a nice long slow sweep set. Fish on! Ps I really like the back of gerital cove where the weed bed is, long leaders and inflated crawlers, deadly.

BrownMeat
12-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Chef?,

what do you mean by swivel/bobber method?

typically i use a treble, 3 ft of line, swivel, sliding egg sinker

fishingchef
12-28-2006, 10:00 AM
use the bobber in between thrid and forth eye on rod pull down line and hang bobber and swivel. when fish takes line bobber goes flying up and fish on!

BrownMeat
12-28-2006, 07:16 PM
oh! hah! yeah, i've seen that before ;D

thanks!