PDA

View Full Version : Last Eagle Trip of the Year

Ketchum
12-21-2006, 12:49 PM
We are heading out in just a few hours. Planning to stay in Susanville tonight and hit the lake early Friday AM. The fishing is supposed to be hot, the weather, NOT. But hey, what's a little snow?

Anyone else heading out? If so, see ya on good ole' Ch. 69.

Report when we get back. The camera is coming....

SuperDave
12-21-2006, 12:53 PM
You separate the men from the boys, Jim. I've always wanted to do a December Eagle trip but without the elements. ;) ;D

vvbob
12-21-2006, 01:57 PM
The high for today in Susanville is only 36 degrees [smiley=cold.gif] [smiley=cold.gif]
Good luck guys, & I too will be looking forward to your report

Mako
12-21-2006, 05:03 PM
I've done a lot of trips to eagle this time of year and its a toss up some years if you have to ice fish or break ice out from shore to get the boat out. But, we used to fish a Zodiak

gfishes
12-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Before any of you guys come up to Eagle, check weather reports and road conditions...a lot of cars and trucks off the road this a.m....roads are like ice rinks...

Ketchum
12-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Well it turned out interesting to say the least. We almost didn't make it through the pass into Susanville but we managed to jump in behind a snowplow and got past the roughest spot. The temperatures were pretty low, we never saw a temp above 35 all day but there was very little wind. We managed to keep our motor from freezing which was a major accomplishment on Thursday Night in Susanville. On those super cold days bring your boat cover and drape it over your outdrive/outboard to keep it from freezing solid.

I also learned that you need to learn how to disconnect your trailer brakes if you don't have chains for your trailer. The surge brakes can create havoc (caltrans told us) which makes sense.

We hit the water at 7am and were off by 11am. (we had to get guys back into town for christmas commitments). We still managed to C&R 21 nice, fat, sassy Eagle Lake bows. I sometimes forget how well these fish fight this time of year. The super high oxygen levels in the water make for explosive 'bows. The water was 38 degrees on the surface at the south end.

We didn't move around much as there are fish pretty much everywhere and boy are they on the bite. Flies in Orange, Tui Chub and Cinnamon ruled the day. I would venture a guess that just about anything would fool these fish given thier super heavy feeding patterns.

Bank fishermen didn't seem to be fairing well. We only managed to see a few caught all day. A highlight was watching some folks WADING into the water to fish. Talk about nuts! Of course the water was 3-5 degrees warmer then the air outside but still!....

We noticed a wierd variation in some of our fish. A few of them had huge humps and were noticably shorter and fatter. The humps reminded us of spawning sockeye salmon. Freaky but they were scrappers.

All the fish were in the 1.5 to 2.5 lb range with the exception of a couple pushing 3lbs.

Here is a pic of the humpback

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9659/pict0001tk7.jpg

Here's a shot of us on A-1 on the backside at 11:30am. You can see this road is already squirrly and is only going to get worse. So get out there soon for the lights out action.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4391/pict0002jw4.jpg

woggin1
12-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Boy, you gents sure got some nads to be out in cold tempertures like that. I've been there several times in October and I thought it was pretty doggone cold then, but nothing like conditions in December. I'll wait until next spring, thank you.

azteca
12-24-2006, 09:49 PM
It sound like you guys had a great time. I was up there with a buddy of mine, we got up there the 15, Dec. at 2:30am fished all day for 1 fish I got skunked :'(, and all day on Sat 16. When we left I had 1 20in and my buddy had 3 1-20in, 2-16in, he lost 2 and hooked into 17 we fished of the bank. We were going to stay for Sunday but the wind on Sat was to peircing :o. I had a cooking thermomitor and it said 15 deg all day Friday, and it sat in my tackle box all day in the truck. We slept in the campsites there, in the back of the truck.
Good times :)

Martinez Frank
12-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Now that looks real cold you guys are dedicated 8-) I was there in October and it was cold then ;)