PDA

View Full Version : rigging rolled shad

first5
12-13-2006, 09:44 AM
does anyone have a picture of what a properly rigged rolled shad looks like? i hear a lot of you guys do this, but i've never tried, and wouldn't fish with confidence if i didn't know if i was doing it right or completely wrong. :-/ thanks for any help. ;)

fishon_chris
12-13-2006, 10:10 AM
You might want to ask Ironhead he gave me some shad rigs he makes they work great.

Chris

Viking
12-13-2006, 10:42 AM
First5,

You can buy a plastic rotary trout head clamp for shad (echip, etc.) that have a barrel roll action, or tie your own two hook harness that rotates more in a straight roll around the center line of the bait. Sometimes the trout prefer one over the other. I have used both with success. I don't have any pics or links for you to hand tie your own harness.

I have seen them, but can't find the link right now. Go to Fishermens Warehouse and they will help you out on both.

Viking

Ironhead
12-13-2006, 04:06 PM
First5,

Check your pm's.

Ironhead

tortuga
12-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Ironhead and Oxbow know all about rigging shad. They showed me how its done and I'm finally able to tie my own. Thanks again you guys!!
Tortuga

Trout_Terminator
12-13-2006, 05:14 PM
same question, how do you "roll shad", and why do the fish like the "roll". also, is there a specific speed, and technique to it? And where do you get your shad at? do you buy them frozen, or do you catch them and use them live? or do you buy the ones that come prepackaged? Thanks for the help,

-TT

fishon18
12-13-2006, 06:16 PM
First5,
iron head showed an excellent picture of what a rig looks like. I prefer to tie my own two hook harness, but pro troll makes a good harness as well. When i purchase my shad, i like it to be as fresh as possible, with minimal blood in the bags, because the blood tends to weaken the bellies or at least in my experiences. It doesnt hurt to inject them with your favorite pro cure oils. This year the shad seemed to be hard to find, and i decided to go to the delta and purchase enough for the season. hope this helps....fishon18

mtalley
12-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Terminator,
Most of us buy frozen shad. *In Fresno it is not to hard to find but I hear it's not easy to find in some places. *You don't want any that is mushy.

Ironhead
12-13-2006, 06:56 PM
same question, how do you "roll shad", and why do the fish like the "roll". also, is there a specific speed, and technique to it? And where do you get your shad at? do you buy them frozen, or do you catch them and use them live? or do you buy the ones that come prepackaged? Thanks for the help,

-TT

With the speed, it is like anything else you are trolling, I prefer to start slow and speed up if I am not getting bites. I usually start as slow as I can go, .9 on the GPS and work my way faster.

I have used frozen and live both. I think the frozen are easier, plus you can cure them the day before. I leave mine in the brine on the boat submerged in ice, this seems to make them hold firm for a long period of time. If you can catch some, those would be the most productive, because that is what is natural to the lake.

I believe the rolling action imitates a wounded bait fish after the school is attacked. I believe fish run through a school of bait fish and wound or hurt the bait and then go back and eat the ones left behind or sinking after the school moves on.

Most bait stores carry the frozen, but as Fishon18 stated, they are hard to find sometimes. Very hard to come by early on this year. I find enough to put in my freezer to last the year. Just make sure they are vacuumed sealed first. Fishon18 has some excellent points on shad also.

If you look back on the trout board to page 14, you will see some pic's of rigging the shad.

Hope this helps, *pm me if you need more help.

Ironhead

Fish_Bully
12-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Wow :o I don't quite know what to say. I'll start by saying you are one cool dude Ironhead! It has been my experience that most people keep this kinda tight lipped. To share this information tells me something. :)

I hired a guide several years ago to learn this exact thing. You are right on the money in that it is to replicate a wonded or "hit" shad. For me, this has been very productive for browns at Melones. Matter of fact, it is the only way I've caught browns there.

Good luck rolling shad,

Flip

Ironhead
12-14-2006, 12:29 PM
It has been my experience that most people keep this kinda tight lipped.

There is so much more to fishing then just hooking a shad to a rig. Speed, scent, temperature, finding fish, netting, etc... I could go on and on. I am definitely one who puts his time in trying to catch quality fish like so many others. I have had a great many excellent fisherman help me, many off these boards. These boards were build by some great people sharing information with each other. We don't always share all the info, but enough to help someone get started. I feel I owe something back and plan to keep it that way. My philosophy will always be, give more back then you take, this will ensure these boards to continue on with what they were built with. There was a post just a week or so ago about people not posting information and always taking. I am sure my pic's and advice will upset some people, and I will take the heat for it. Once again, just my opinion. My boat and gear have been shared by many people off these boards. People I now call my fishing friends.

Ironhead

zinger
12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
My philosophy will always be, give more back then you take, this will ensure these boards to continue on with what they were built with.

[smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif]

LD
12-14-2006, 02:14 PM
My philosophy will always be, give more back then you take, this will ensure these boards to continue on with what they were built with.

[smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif]

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Well said.
And I would like to add, hitch a ride with someone, much can be learned from just waching. Not to mention making new friends.
end of hijack... ;D ;D
Oxbow does tie a nice rig for shad. * ;)

JoeTech
12-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Ironhead - You hit the nail on the head.

fishon18
12-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Ironhead,
Well put, i could not have said it any better.Too bad there isn't more people out there that are willing to share their "secrets".It's for the sport isn't it?..........fishon18

tortuga
12-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Man is he right! Part of the true joy of fishing is friends made on the water (and the boards). None of us were born knowing all about fishing (well maybe a few of you guys) We all learned it from some one else or figured it out after lots of trys. I figure if you pass it forward it not only keeps the "fishing culture alive and healthy", it gives you a chance to show off how smart you are! If we don't treat each other with respect and friendship we might as well stay home.
Tight lines
Tortuga

Silver_Streak
12-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Well said, guys! I could not agree more. Who ever said fishing wasn't a sport or wasn't competative! There is no better feeling than helping out a fellow fisherman, and watching THEM have success. ;)

first5
12-15-2006, 09:06 AM
here, here.

i took my 6 yr old fishing in August, he loves to catch fish. we left the dock and headed straight for a hotspot. a boat left the dock behind us and was clearly headed for the same place. there's only room for one boat to tie up at this spot, and we got there first. in less than a half hour we'd boated 3 beauties plus a big, bonus bass. the other boat, with a small family on it, anchored 25 yards away and didn't get anything. my son, who''ll talk to anyone, strikes up a conversation with a 12 yr old on the other boat. "how old are you, what grade are you in, etc". I talk it over with my son, and we agree: we'll leave the spot and let them tie up, since we've had our share of good luck already. My son then has the idea of giving them our bait, minnows, which they didn't have. I was one proud Dad to hear him say this! I'm sure the 12 yr old was delighted to catch'em like he saw us do. if KIDS can share like this, then we grown-up's can too.

kokemachine83
12-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Couldn't of said it better. That's what makes these boards. Congrats Ironhead!!!!! (koke Machine)...

Trout_Terminator
12-15-2006, 09:18 PM

-TT

With the speed, it is like anything else you are trolling, I prefer to start slow and speed up if I am not getting bites. I usually start as slow as I can go, .9 on the GPS and work my way faster.

I have used frozen and live both. I think the frozen are easier, plus you can cure them the day before. I leave mine in the brine on the boat submerged in ice, this seems to make them hold firm for a long period of time. If you can catch some, those would be the most productive, because that is what is natural to the lake.

I believe the rolling action imitates a wounded bait fish after the school is attacked. I believe fish run through a school of bait fish and wound or hurt the bait and then go back and eat the ones left behind or sinking after the school moves on.

Most bait stores carry the frozen, but as Fishon18 stated, they are hard to find sometimes. Very hard to come by early on this year. I find enough to put in my freezer to last the year. Just make sure they are vacuumed sealed first. Fishon18 has some excellent points on shad also.

If you look back on the trout board to page 14, you will see some pic's of rigging the shad.

Hope this helps, *pm me if you need more help.

Ironhead

Thank you ironhead, this is very helpful to the newbies such as myself ;)