PDA

View Full Version : First trout on a lyman

Pyramid_Kid
12-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Here it is. Nothing to huge or anything. I think it went about 21 inches or so. Its resting on my engine cover and nearly spans the entire width. I had no tape in the boat http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/100_0987_edited.jpgthat day.

Elk-Fisher
12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Congratulations PK!

What color? Mickeys favorite? There are no small fish in Pyramid, some are just bigger than others!! 8-)

EF

Pyramid_Kid
12-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Naw it wasnt Mickey's favorite, or super daves either. Even if it was I was scolded about giving out such information about others favorites lure colors. So I cant be doing that again. :-X

But I can tell you that it was a 6inch #16. I was in the vacinity of Indian Head Rock and it was at or about 2pm last Thursday. I was so stoked. I unknowingly ran in to Mickey and Superdave at the boat launch shared with them my day. Superdave said its a good color just a dark day early morning or evening color. Then he shared with me his favorite color :-X that I gave out once. Im gonna have to get a hold of my neighbor. He has one of those 40 gallon rubber made tubs that is just full of nearly every type of and color that Lyman makes. He told me to come over anytime to borrow. I may have to take him up on it as he fishes more with his own home made stuff now than anything else.

chicofishrmen
12-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Nice fish PK, let them Lyman addiction begin, oh wait too late http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif Glad you figured out how to post pic's, we love seeing pics especially of Pyramid Cutts, gosh they are pretty!

chicofishrmen
12-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Im gonna have to get a hold of my neighbor. He has one of those 40 gallon rubber made tubs that is just full of nearly every type of and color that Lyman makes. He told me to come over anytime to borrow. I may have to take him up on it as he fishes more with his own home made stuff now than anything else.

My advice is take over a 12 pack (or case) of his favorite beer and then when he has to go to the bathroom, take a bunch of pic's of his home made lures and them post the pic's here! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Dang I've already got a 6" #16, so I have no excuse to buy more Lymans http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif I guess I shouldn't be suprised as we have the same dealer http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

Pyramid_Kid
12-05-2006, 09:45 PM
You know Chico I really have no excuse to buy lymans anymore either. My neighbor is I guess a semi pro. fisherman. He does and has done lure tests. Like when sting king came out with the e-chip. He was testing it to see how well it worked. Same with lymans when the produce a new color he gets some before you can buy them. Though were we are getting our lymans from you almost cant beat the price. But as for my neighbor you name it he has it from Lymans, J-plugs, flat fish, what ever you could possibly think of. And he has tubs full of new unused lures in his garage. It almost makes me ill. But yet he mostly fishes with his own lures that he makes in his shop. Plus he does his own taxidermy for fish. Its pretty cool. He used to be not sure if he still is or not on the sniffer staff.

drstressor
12-05-2006, 10:38 PM
So you live near Brad, huh? ;)

He doesn't like to fish Pyramid that much although he does well there. He says that's because everything works at Pyramid. He's right too.

All this obsessing over Lymans is silly. ;D There are some general rules about color and lure size that are helpful, but the key thing at Pyramid is to work each type of lure with the correct speed and trolling pattern. Lymans and Apexes let you catch fish even if you troll in a straight line. And once you are over a certain speed, their actions are not particularly speed dependent.

When fished properly, spoons, jigs, and flies will out fish Lyman plugs on most days.

Mickey_Thomas
12-06-2006, 05:37 AM
Good advice Doc, aside from the right speed for the lure you're using remember this easy one, bright days use bright lures, cloudy days us dull or less bright lures. Cant' say I agree with this one Doc but you're the professor;
When fished properly, spoons, jigs, and flies will out fish Lyman plugs on most days. Sometimes Apexes will outfish Lymans for sure. I agree that spoons, jigs, and flies outfish Lymans on "some" days, not most ;D

johnbfishin
12-06-2006, 07:27 AM
While we were at the Pyramid fest I was trolling a spoon while the person fishing with me, whom shall remain naked...er nameless was trolling Lymans. After my third fish he asked if I thought he should change, then again after my fourth, fifth and so on....who am I to say? ::) ;).

metalmouth
12-06-2006, 07:37 AM
I'm going with Doc on this one! :-* When we were at Pyramid, I think we caught fish on every lure that went near the water. ;D Lyman's were hot one day, Apex's the next, and Spoons the third. I recommend having about 86 tackle bags to match the hatch! 8-)

Pyramid_Kid
12-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Quote from DOC So you live near Brad, huh?

You are absolutely correct Doc. I live across the street from Brad. I didnt think that anybody would be able to guess who it was. Because i failed to mention that he has like 3 boats, a shop in the back yard that he uses to craft his home made lures etc. Oh did I mention the Coke (beer) machine. I really like Brad he is pretty much the salt of the earth and has a pretty good wealth of knowledge for fishin and the like. So what gave it away that it could have been Brad??

I know that Lymans, Apex sting kings, Flat Fish, etc are good lures. But I also know that the old Blue Fox spoons (That you cant get anymore!!! :'() are great lures. Ive been using Blue fox spoons from the shore for as long as I can remember at Pyramid, Walker, every where for that matter. *Im just excited about using a new lure (Lyman).

SuperDave
12-06-2006, 09:06 AM
drstressor wrote:

Lymans and Apexes let you catch fish even if you troll in a straight line.

Mickey, and you thought Doc couldn't talk and drive at the same time. ;) Apparently he's driving in a straight line on purpose. ;D

Both my biggest fish at Pyramid have come in hard turns. Because they float, I think the inside lure starts to float up and even more represent a dead or wounded bait. (Speaking about Lymans here)

CHICKFISHING58
12-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Naw it wasnt Mickey's favorite, or super daves either. Even if it was I was scolded about giving out such information about others favorites lure colors. So I cant be doing that again.

Great job one question is it a man thing not to share colors or lures or a california thing ::) :-/

Pyramid_Kid
12-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Quote from Chickfish. Great job one question is it a man thing not to share colors or lures or a california thing \

To Chickfish. Likely just a man thing. Mostly depends on ones mood. I read a post not to long ago about giving out information. Like when where what time what COLOR how deep etc. Sometimes it can ruin your secret spot. Because then you get folks going in there and fishing it out. Then no more good fishing for you. Or it could just be that they are feeling kinda onery at that moment. I posted earlier that I unknowingly met Mickey and Super Dave at the launch at Pelican. Shared my day with them color where when etc. I think it was Super Dave that told me yeah my favorite color is # :-X. well I was greatful and I figured if he told me that it would be ok to sharer. So I did and was politely asked not to do that again. I too am guilty of not wanting to share info sometimes. Its all about what you want or dont want to give up at the time.

PK

drstressor
12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Apparently he's driving in a straight line on purpose.

Very good Dave! Have you noticed that when we fish from my boat there are lots or sharp turns and speed changes. That's called fishing. When I drive Mickey's boat, I'm just hanging out. 8-)

OK, I'll admit that I do what I can to prevent you guys from catching too many fish. Reeling them in interrupts the BS. ;D

So what gave it away that it could have been Brad??

There's only one guy like him on the planet. :)

He's the most successful trophy fisherman I know. He doesn't post much on the boards anymore. Every time he did in the past, it brought about negative reactions from folk who aren't quit as good at as he is. He fishes for his own satisfaction these days and is having a better time.

SuperDave
12-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the clarification Lee. I always thought all the speed changes on your boat was because your kicker never runs right. ;D

Plus, I don't complain about your driving like Mickey does. If it wasn't for you driving through the tullies at the Gorge, I'd never have hooked that big carp. ;) ;D

Mickey_Thomas
12-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Pyramid Kid, did Brad tell you that he's the one that got me started on Lymans too ;D ;D Great guy, great fisherman, I hope he comes down to the ISE show this year, I miss him and his fishing tips ;)When you see him tell him hi from me will you? 8-) Dave remember this, "hey Doc, how deep is it here? both the riggers are bumping" "Sorry guys, it's 20'" "thanks Doc we're both down at 35'"Maybe not word for word but that's just about how it goes everytime Doc blesses us with driving the boat ;D ;D ;D

drstressor
12-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Depth means nothing to me. ;)

Dennis
12-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Mickey shouldn't be commenting about how other people drive. *I could tell you about the time Mickey was driving back from New Melones and almost ended up in Lodi instead of Placerville. *Oops I guess I just did :D
He might be ok in the boat but watch him when he's in the truck or motor home. *;D ;D ;D

johnbfishin
12-06-2006, 11:21 PM
We are all aware (well most of us) about Mickeys sense of direction. He knows uphill and downhill from living in the hills, but the compass stuff escapes him. ;)

Mickey_Thomas
12-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Just because I give Doc a bad time doesn't mean it's open season on picking on me ::) I never make a mistake, and I always catch fish. If something happens "it's not my fault" ;D ;D ;D

CHICKFISHING58
12-07-2006, 10:51 AM
PK,
If you feel like sharing you should IMO ::)
Just think who ever started the Lyman's never shared all the big guys would still be in CA ;D

blane-o
12-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I was wondering where the best place to get Lyman lures is? Any helpwould be appreciated.