PDA

View Full Version : Folsom report

smallfry
12-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Who has swapped out their barbed treble hooks with barbless on their rapalas? How has it affected your catch rate? Is there a better alternative?

I usually catch and release which will be much easier with barbless and will most almost certianly go this direction but would like some idea of how it will affect the fishing and would appreciate any tips to keep em on the line.

smallfry
12-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Fished Folsom Sat. Trolling I caught several bows on the rig with a chrome dodger. The other rig just ran a rapala. Both poles about 10ft down. The first fish I was sure was a snag it was so hard to real in. After a minute or two of bending the pole in half it suddenly "released" and lo.... it's a fish! Biggest trout I've ever caught. Sorry, no pic's since I had so much trouble freeing the fish from the treble hooks I had to release it before it was too late to do so. All fish caught between 10 and 11. Not a nibble after that.

I've posted a question about the barbless hooks to eliminate this problem so I'll have time to start taking some pictures. Im guessing it will be moved to the "gear" board. Have any of you swithed to barbless trebles and what was your results? I don't want to stop catching fish but since I often release them I want make it easier to do so.

Dennis
12-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Convert one lure over to barbless and then try it. Make your own decision. If you can keep the line tight you should be able to bring them to the boat.

Dennis
12-05-2006, 07:41 AM
See your other post. Basically, try one lure and keep the line tight.

HBFishin
12-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I have taken a pair of needle nose pliers to all my trebble hooks and squished down the barb. I can't say that this makes it completely barbless as there is still a little bump, but it is not sharp.

I have not noticed any more fish lost and it sure is easier to get that hook out making for a quicker release back to the water for the fish.

Dennis
12-06-2006, 08:09 AM
I have taken a pair of needle nose pliers to all my trebble hooks and squished down the barb. I can't say that this makes it completely barbless as there is still a little bump, but it is not sharp.

I have not noticed any more fish lost and it sure is easier to get that hook out making for a quicker release back to the water for the fish.

There you go! 8-)