PDA

View Full Version : Huntington update...

Snowtrout
12-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Checked out huntington to see how low and what were the conditions on saturday after snowboarding at sierra summit. Big creek is about frozen over so very little water is flowing into the lake. The water coming in from rancheria is very little and looks like a creek in a few spots keeping all the areas that the kokes and browns spawned at high and dry. What a was to manage a fishery!

The water level is way below the launch ramp but you can still find deeper water to launch a boat over by the docks west of the ramp (looked like one person had done this). The islands out in front of the lauch are starting to show, so if you do go out, be careful of rocks.

There was snow is a few spots but the next storm should cut of all access to trailered boats. Good luck.

jcombs
12-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the report. I'll bet it was freezing up there.

mtalley
12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks Byron. Isn't that great how they left that sand bar there. If they just opened the gate up for an hour or so it probable would have carved a stream bed back through the sand so the fish could spawn.

Ironhead
12-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Byron,

Thanks for the report. I would assume they are making snow for the slopes, for it to be open. *My son will be home from the Navy in a few weeks and wants to go up.

If they just opened the gate up for an hour or so it probable would have carved a stream bed back through the sand so the fish could spawn.

That just may take a effort from some one, right?

Ironhead

JoeTech
12-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Byron - Thanks for the report, this is the time I wish I still had a small boat. Oh well, looks like after the big storm were about to have will end the fishing season for that lake, until ice out.

Snowtrout
12-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Actually it was not that cold up there. Maybe high 40's and all i wore was a sweatshirt.

I can still get my boat in if i tried but getting it out might be a problem since they have been letting out water fast and the shorelines are real muddy. I might have tried this upcoming weekend but it looks like another storm is coming in spelling the end.

Also looked at shaver and noticed they finally put in a second ramp when the water is higher so 4 boats can launch at the same time (at least 4 that know what they are doing). Will probably be doing some jigging here later this month and next month since the trout and kokanee like to school up under the docks.

Wish they would extend the ramp at huntington another 50-100' but SCE will probably never do it since they really do very little up there to help fisherman and the fishery.