PDA

View Full Version : 17 ft boat safe for rockfishing?

eg1968
09-17-2008, 07:18 AM
I have read and seen small boats fishing offshore during calm days. I have a 17ft tracker deep pro v aluminum boat that i would like (if safe) to rockfish from it. Would you feel safe fishing from one of these boats during a calm day? I was thinking of fishing in the Half Moon Bay area but would launch and fish from where ever would be the safest. I have never launched into the ocean before. Any suggestions as to where would be the safest and easiest to launch from would be greatly appreciated. I obviously do not plan on fishing far offshore but would like to get out and give er' a try.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5713/boatxz4.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boatxz4.jpg)

Thanks,
Eric

bigeasy8240
09-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Yes, you can fish in the ocean in your boat! I fish out of an 18 footer myself and I'm all over the ocean! Check the weather and sea conditions and try to launch at 6:00AM or earlier, something that I have been unable to do! :-/

Make sure you have your GPS, VHF, PFD, Cell Phone and bilge pump all in order! Go give'm hell! :D It changed hell to freezer huh? ;D Oh yeah, make sure you have some kind of GPS numbers to make your trip worth while.

Your Welcome
Eric W.
18 ft Bayrunner

eg1968
09-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks! I have all of the stuff that you recommended so I guess the next step is fishing. I was checking the surf and swell conditions and I noticed that there were several days where ther swell was about 2 ft every 16 seconds or so. I figured that this would be a decent day to try. At what point would it be advisable to stay on shore because condition are unfavorable? swels greater than 3ft, 4 ft, period every 10 seconds etc, etc.. ?

bigeasy8240
09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Well, actually 3-4 @ 10 is FAC! :) 4-6 @ 8-9 is rough conditions. On weather.com, it will actually give you the indications of "Rough or Calm" seas and everything in between.

You may want to go out on a private boat or party boat to get the feel of what's going on out there and exactly what you will need to do to make a safe passage. But, if you do go out make sure that the seas are to your liking and what you feel comfortable with. If it feels a little iffffy, don't go or stay inside of the jetty and fish. Santa Cruz is an excellent place to make your first journey out to sea. Lots of boats around.

eg1968
09-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I have done the party boat thing but what would be rough to my boat would seem to be calm to a large boat like that.

bigeasy8240
09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
You got it! All in all, the trip into the big blue is do-able! Oh yeah, if you do not want to clean those fish, I'll take them off your hands. ::)

FisherBoats
09-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I have read and seen small boats fishing offshore during calm days. I have a 17ft tracker deep pro v aluminum boat that i would like (if safe) to rockfish from it. Would you feel safe fishing from one of these boats during a calm day? I was thinking of fishing in the Half Moon Bay area but would launch and fish from where ever would be the safest. I have never launched into the ocean before. Any suggestions as to where would be the safest and easiest to launch from would be greatly appreciated. I obviously do not plan on fishing far offshore but would like to get out and give er' a try.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5713/boatxz4.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boatxz4.jpg)

Thanks,
Eric

We're in a 16ft Fisher Deep V similar to yours and we go every weekend to HMB. Before we got the Fisher we went on a 14ft alum. boat, waves pounded the heck out that thing! :)

eg1968
09-17-2008, 02:09 PM
These replys have me very excited. All I can think about here at work is getting out and fishing. I am always a little worried about trying something new but it seems the best way is just to get out and do it. I am thinking of going out on another party boat this weekend on one of there light tackle nearshore trips from HMB. I figure it may be a good way to see the conditions out there etc. Whats the swell and period cutoff heights/times for you in your fisher where you feel unsafe etc?

Whoopbass
09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
We're in a 16ft Fisher Deep V similar to yours and we go every weekend to HMB. Before we got the Fisher we went on a 14ft alum. boat, waves pounded the heck out that thing! :) [/quote]

How far past the jetty is the nearest place to fish? From the jetty all I can see is open ocean.

I am in a 15' tin can and I stay within sight distance of shore no matter where i'm fishing in the ocean.

I've done well fishing the jetty out of a boat so i've never went out any further. The problem with the jetty is it's rougher there then venturing out.

I've heard of 12' aluminum boats being taken out to the Farallon's. I was fishing HMB near the jetty and a 12' aluminum boat came in from somewhere, they caught some bait and disappeared back out into the ocean. It was a rough day. I thought they were nuts.

CORN
09-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Yes, definitely!! Just watch the marine forecast and pick your days. I fished HMB and Bodega for years out of a 14'7" Arima with no problems. I just made sure to go when I knew it was going to be relatively calm. Check out my HMB and Bodega posts in 2005 and 2006. They were all in the small Arima. And even now, I only have a 17ft boat. My last three trips were around 17mile trips south of the harbor. Pick your days and you'll be ok.

You're going to have a lot of fun. Start out by fishing within eyesight of the harbor entrance. As you get more familiar with the ocean and forecast, you can start exploring more water. Good luck and have fun! Get out while it's still calm.

aledwards
09-17-2008, 07:40 PM
All good advise given. Before moving up I fished a 17' Glasspar almost every weekend for six seasons. The main thing to keep in mind is, stay close in untill you are comfortable with going farther away from the ramp. Learn the running time from differant spots back to the ramp in case the wind/swell comes up early. If your running to a new spot farther away from the ramp go with a buddy boat. Thats important for a boat your size if you were to head toward the Sur area from Monterey. (rockfish there is as good as it gets on the central Cal coast) Good Luck - Al

65whaler
09-18-2008, 12:15 AM
your boat sounds qualified for the job, but are you? i fish[ed] for salmon as far as ten miles out to sea in my 17' boston whaler regularly and have never had a problem, so is 17' enough boat? yes, under the right conditions. but the fact that you have no ocean experience tells me that many precautions should be taken. some good advice has been given: gps, vhs radio with 8' antenna, aux motor if possible, flares, cell phone, mounted compass, excursions on party or other private boats, go early return early, know the weather etc. all good advice.

you have a healthy deference to the mighty blue, that will serve you well. your idea of taking baby steps also. the most important asset is time on the water. the more time you spend out there the safer you will be. now get out there and have some fear and fun.
:) :D ;D :D :)

sokoo
09-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Your boat is OK for near shore rockfishing. But if you want to fish out of HMB and don't know the area well, that could be more of a problem than the boat size or some moderate wave conditions.

For rockfish I almost always stay within 1.5 mile of HMB harbor. There is good reef between the nearest green and red buoys and towards the west. But get familiar with the map and don't get too shallow. There are also some dangerous reefs inside the green buoy and east of the red one. You will also find other good spots in that area if you study the map closely. Mark some likely fishing spots as well as safety reference spots and save them in your GPS, to start quickly on the right reefs and to avoid getting too close to the danger.

The area close to the harbor also may give you better weather conditions and save you gasoline (and less green house gas too).

Your boat should be safe if you know the map well and have the right knowledge, even if the swell gets a little bigger than 6ft X 8sec, and in a 15kt wind. But when the weather condition gets bad it's not quite as fun to fish anyway. Look for days with <10kt wind and <5ft swell to start with, like the past weekend. I used to fish in a 12ft Porta Bote in that kind of conditions.

hooked_fishin
09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
i **** you not i went out of hmb 4 years ago in a 16 ft spectum bass boat i got there from sac 2 1/2 hours headed out of the harbor came around the jetty and was lookin at 8-10 ft rollers . i was behind a charter boat and i heard the captain cancel the trip and turned around, i sat there for a minute thinking about it oh and the coast gaurd boat was sitting there too. i thought for a minute i came 120mile, so i went for it went out about 2miles 2 hours laters it was nice as can be clear no wind calm like a lake. 3 guys, weall had limits and limits of lings by noon. make sure you have everything, and go for it!

aledwards
09-18-2008, 06:19 PM
i nuts you not i went out of hmb 4 years ago in a 16 ft spectum bass boat i got there from sac 2 1/2 hours headed out of the harbor came around the jetty and was lookin at 8-10 ft rollers . i was behind a charter boat and i heard the captain cancel the trip and turned around, i sat there for a minute thinking about it oh and the coast gaurd boat was sitting there too. *i thought for a minute i came 120mile, so i went for it went out about 2miles *2 hours laters it was nice as can be clear no wind calm like a lake. 3 guys, weall had limits and limits of lings by noon. make sure you have everything, and go for it!

We like guys like you here on the coast. It's almost crab season and you guys keep them nice and plump. They do have to spit out your rubber boots though. - Al

Captain_Morgan
09-18-2008, 08:36 PM
That's good Al !! ;D ;D ;D 8-)

hooked_fishin
09-18-2008, 10:09 PM
ive been fishing the coast since i was akid, and know i have my captain lic. and 6 pack lic. how about you. ya crab season is almost here, i built crab traps too. i have 32 sitten in the garage! you can go on craigslist to view type. crap trap

65whaler
09-18-2008, 11:42 PM
i nuts you not i went out of hmb 4 years ago in a 16 ft spectum bass boat i got there from sac 2 1/2 hours headed out of the harbor came around the jetty and was lookin at 8-10 ft rollers . i was behind a charter boat and i heard the captain cancel the trip and turned around, i sat there for a minute thinking about it oh and the coast gaurd boat was sitting there too. *i thought for a minute i came 120mile, so i went for it went out about 2miles *2 hours laters it was nice as can be clear no wind calm like a lake. 3 guys, weall had limits and limits of lings by noon. make sure you have everything, and go for it!

so, is the moral to this story that caution and common sense should be thrown overboard when dealing with dangerous conditions on the pacific? cover your eyes and ears eg1968.

* * * ** * * *[smiley=bricks.gif] [smiley=skull.gif] [smiley=skull.gif] [smiley=skull.gif] [smiley=bricks.gif]

GCinGV
09-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Id try Bodega for a first trip. It has about the safest harbor entrance anywhere along the coast and you can fish the rocks along the inner bay (not the Harbor) which is pretty protected.
GC

metalmouth
09-19-2008, 04:25 AM
Yeah this conversation should back up a ways. The ocean can be big and mean and can take your life as many before you. Before you venture out as a rookie you need to be dam sure you understand all that you can about buoy reports, wave sizes, swell sizes, distance/time and variable wind conditions. You had also better know the limitations of your boat. Even with all the information available a rogue wave catches someone near the shore by surprise every year. Going out in conditions that you are unsure of in a small craft can be a train wreck. It is your life and your passengers that you gamble with!

Fine Print: The Sniffer assumes no responsibility and/or liability for the information posted on these boards. Some of it may be blatantly wrong and dangerous and does not reflect the opinions of the management and it's owners.

MM
Global Moderator

AnyH2oAnytme
09-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Looking for some traps
Couldn't find on craigslist

sokoo
09-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah this conversation should back up a ways. The ocean can be big and mean and can take your life as many before you. Before you venture out as a rookie you need to be dam sure you understand all that you can about buoy reports, wave sizes, swell sizes, distance/time and variable wind conditions. You had also better know the limitations of your boat. Even with all the information available a rogue wave catches someone near the shore by surprise every year. Going out in conditions that you are unsure of in a small craft can be a train wreck. It is your life and your passengers that you gamble with!

True. Doing almost anything involves risks. It's all about how big the risk is. Assuming you have or will learn enough knowledge about boating in the ocean, I see driving 30 miles each way to commute for work as more risky than going out in a 6-foot swell to catch a rogue wave. I also consider the risk of eating beef when there is a mad cow scare or eating tomato when there is Salmonella incidents as negligible because of the tiny number of people actually getting sick or killed. Meanwhile, some real big risks are being ignored by perhaps most people. The fuel we excessively burn will sure destroy the current ecosystem (and many fish populations, of course); our greed and irresponsible way of living and development will very soon push us to catastrophe. These are almost 100% risks, compared to, say, 1% for traffic injuries/death or 0.2% for being killed by the ocean (just imaginary numbers).

metalmouth
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Since this is a fishing website we will be sticking to the risks being discussed. It is in the interest of this web site to not paint a picture of those risks as low or nonexistent. While you may not have a choice as to your commute we do have the choice to see the facts about ocean safety portrayed correctly. ;)