PDA

View Full Version : Stumpy and Loon= windy!

LD
10-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Took the day off, was going to go to Amador, but my buddy called late last night, and had to cancel. Bummer... *Went instead to Loon, got on the water @ 7:30 and the surface temp was 50, at the time, very light wind. I put out a grub and watermelon sidekick, got it set at 100 ft back, stood up to drain off some coffee, and in mid stream, BAM! I thought to myself, its gonna be a good day... * :) Landed a nice *15" planter. In the next 45min - 1 hr, landed 4 more decent planters, had 2 LDR's and 1 SDR. Not too bad! *:)
But as I was headed to the far end of the lake, I could see the wind stirring up the whitecaps.
I got about 1/2 way down to the end and had to turn back, it was just too windy. Got back to the ramp, and the wind was bouncing the boat all over the ramp as I went to get the truck... didn't think too much of it at the time...
Well as I was headed down the hill, got to Stumpy, and things looked not too bad.
So I launched again, water temp 56, and in the next hour landed 5 small planters on the same setup as Loon. I happened to see some movement out of the corner of my eye, down on the floor of the boat, and mother f*%#@^, I had about an 1 1/2 - 2 inches of water in the bottom of the boat, just coming over the floor boards.
I was almost at the far end, and turned around to high tail it back.
I started bailing out the water with the only thing I had... the pee cup.
I got probably 5-6 gallons of water out, and it seemed to slow down coming in as I was going back.
When I got the boat out, I looked at the bow where the boat had made contact with the ramp at Loon..., and sure enough there was the hole.
It was in a spot right around the water line, thats why it seemed to slow down as I was coming back, with the increased speed, it was not in the water all the time.
Called a welder, and going to drop it off to get fixed in the next couple of days.
Oh well, still beats working! *;D

LD

lazylab
10-25-2006, 04:37 PM
l/d nice gettin on the fish 8-) will be at loon this weekend. the weather report this am called for gusts to 25. stear clear. it will be done tonight , sucks on the hole in the boat. the gusts were for 10/25 only just hope it stays that way. what kind of grub you usin ;)

AllFishNoWork
10-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Nice job getting the fish lite drag.

I fished Loon once with Oxbow and had a great day. I'm always leary of going back because that is a pretty far drive to get there and be blown out.

fish_junky
10-25-2006, 06:36 PM
I had one of those days at Loon. I was at the far end of the lake and the wind came up real bad. I made it back to the ramp and the boat was jumping two feet up and down. I got the boat out barely and noticed my transducer and paddle wheel was broken off from a rock on the botton. Good luck this weekend Lazylab and watch out for wind.

thingphish
10-25-2006, 06:47 PM
I fished at Loon last weekend with SpaceFish. We had a very nice morning from the bank. Got there when it was still dark, within a minute of the first cast in, a nice 14" brown. Other 12"+...my buddy caught his limit before the sun came over the hill! All the action was before 11am. Once the wind came up, nothing.

calebetis
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
LD, never been up there, sounds like wind is a problem this time of year? Is the fishing still good in November/December?

LD
10-26-2006, 06:06 AM
what kind of grub you usin
I was using a crappie grub, a Charlie Brewer's Slider, brown, with an orange tail. Sometimes these things work real well for me, especially if the bite is a little soft, they have a short tail on them. I am not sure what that type of tail is called, but for lack of a better term, I call it a paddle tail.

LD, never been up there, sounds like wind is a problem this time of year? *Is the fishing still good in November/December?
Wind can always crop up there...
As far as the winter fishing goes, the lake freezes over, and I don't ice fish... *;D *Access can be limited if it is snowing.

LD

calebetis
10-26-2006, 11:02 AM
How is the road to Loon? Map quest shows Ice house to forest service roads, is that the best route?

LD
10-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Icehouse road isn't bad coming from Hwy 50, just keep going up Icehouse rd, (28 mi?)and about 1 mile or so after you pass Wentworth Springs rd make a right turn, I think the sign says 7 miles to Loon.
If you are coming from Georgetown, take Wentworth Springs rd past Stumpy, to Icehouse rd, turn left to Loon.

Mickey_Thomas
10-26-2006, 11:20 AM
If you come the Georgetown way, Ice House Rd is 14 miles from the Stumpy Dam. Turn left on Ice House Rd. go 4 miles and turn right at the sign, Loon is another 3 miles from there ;) All good roads, the 14 miles from Stumpy is 55mph even with a boat till you start heading over the mountain and down to Ice House Rd.

LD
10-26-2006, 11:24 AM
If you come the Georgetown way, Ice House Rd is 14 miles from the Stumpy Dam. Turn left on Ice House Rd. go 4 miles and turn right at the sign, Loon is another 3 miles from there ;) All good roads, the 14 miles from Stumpy is 55mph even with a boat till you start heading over the mountain and down to Ice House Rd.
Thanks for the correction... I knew there was 7 mi. somewhere... ;D
Usually my autopilot is on... :D
LD

calebetis
10-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks, coming from Bay Area, so taking HWY 50, looks easy enough.

LD
10-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks, coming from Bay Area, so taking HWY 50, looks easy enough.
That would be a piece of cake.

BTW, What is "Gunga Gulunga"?? * :-/

LD

calebetis
10-26-2006, 11:52 AM
From Caddy Shack. When Bill Murry is telling the story of the the "Dali Lama" going to stiff him on the tip. The Lama said Gunga Gulunga...then proceded to tell him there would be no tip, but on his death bed he will regain total conciousness.......so he has that going for him...which is nice!........Sorry one of my favorite movies...just some fun/stupid stuff.

greenman

LD
10-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Having fun isn't that what it is all about? * :D
Nothing to be sorry about!
Starting to sound like a country song...
How's that for silly?
Let us know how you do @ Loon when you go. *;D

LD