PDA

View Full Version : trolling for trout with rubber snubbers?

atavuss
10-23-2006, 05:39 PM
is it worth using snubbers? if so, do you clip them on AFTER the flasher? any disadvantage to using them?

ratss427
10-23-2006, 05:43 PM
i have used them ,not so much intentionally for trout,but where there are kokes or kings to be had.switched to a slower action rod .and never used them again.i used to use them behind my flashers or dodger.not sure if they were intended to be used in front ?

lazylab
10-23-2006, 05:51 PM
tried the snubbers for kokene a few years back , still see people use them when leadcore is used? went to different rods as ratss427 stated. got the ol intrepid rods light an ultra , so much fun :)

johnbfishin
10-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Ditto, with a light action rod the snubber went in the trash. I can see how using them behind the large ford fenders would give the fish less leverage, but I would rather have a good hook set from the start and take my chances.

tortuga
10-23-2006, 08:17 PM
I've never used them for trout. Most of the trout I catch seem to strike hard enough and have tough enough mouths that I never felt the need. I always thought the snubber was to keep from yanking the hook out of their mouth.
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing1.gif]

FreshwaterFrank
10-23-2006, 08:51 PM
I used snubbers for kokes when I first started fishing for them in Melones in '98. The guy I learned with used them, and so I followed suit. The next year I quit, because I noticed no difference in catch rate, with or without them. IMO they're just an additional piece of gear to buy, keep track of, and replace. ...with no apparent benefit for me, using the gear I've got.. Also it's two more places your line can break, and more fiddling to have to do when you're putting on gear. Like the others say, light gear is the way to go for kokes, and for trout I believe snubbers are totally unnecessary. The mono line I use has a lot of stretch all by itself, especially trolling with lots of line out. I also noticed that the rubber in the snubbers deteriorates very quickly from UV rays, when exposed, and when that happens you'll definitely lose fish when it breaks. Just IMO of course, others do use them, & whatever works for you.

Mark_Damron
10-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Snubbers have their uses at times. The ultralight rods we all use now for kokanee eliminate the need for snubbers but I found that when I fish with new kokanee anglers or young children it does help. It teaches them the proper way to land a kokanee without pulling the hook free. Early in the season when the kokanee are more fresh I use this tactic. Later when they begin to toughen up I don't feel the there is need for them. I don't use them for trout anymore but years back when I was a newbe to trolling I did.
As for where to place the snubber, some will put it ahead of the dodger but I've always put it after the dodger. Use the smallest you can or even shockcord that the fly fishers use. PHM

Farrier_Frank
10-24-2006, 05:41 AM
I use ultralite gear so I don't need snubbers. However, I do use them behind the dodger occasionally for extra action (and as an attractor) and it works very well for kokes and trout (especially kokes). We use the long thin ones for this in green, red, or white depending on the color of the day.