PDA

View Full Version : Ling Cod/Rockfish Boats

JMat
09-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Anyone know of any good charters out of the general San Francisco area. A buddy of mine and I are thinking about going. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks

JMat

searay
09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Chucky's Pride is really good. Each time I have went we caught limits of rockfish and most of the time we use live bait. And there is a very good crew on the boat. Never lost a big fish yet.

dbass
09-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Goldeneye 2000,
Fastest boat out to the Farallons ;)
No blues or blacks, strictly Big reds and Lings :)

żżż
09-10-2008, 09:05 AM
The GE2K has got to be the fastest and most stable boat being that it's a catamaran. BUT, Quong has a nasty habit of overbooking. YMMV.

And I do have to hand it to him, he gets you over some good quality fish. You'll get fillers every now and then, but for the most part it's good size fish.

nelson9
09-10-2008, 10:57 AM
What do you mean by overbooked? Did you sign up for a trip, showed up, and get turned away because the boat was full? GE2K has room for at least 40 anglers. I don't think i've ever seen that boat filled to capacity.

realdeal
09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I think he means that 40 people on a boat is too many. This is the reason I go on weekdays if I can

slick88
09-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I had a bad experience on the GE2K when the club I belonged to chartered the boat and we had about 20 people. The problem arose when the Captain still took in other paying customers. I guess he doesn't differentiate between "CHARTER" and "open load" as long as the money comes in.

bigeasy8240
09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
I had a bad experience on the GE2K when the club I belonged to chartered the boat and we had about 20 people. The problem arose when the Captain still took in other paying customers. I guess he doesn't differentiate between "CHARTER" and "open load" as long as the money comes in.

Can you blame the guy, with the price of fuel, bait and everything else that goes along with it! :-? Did your crew pay for the other 20 open spots to leave them open? Or did you expect him to take a loss because of your paying half? C'mon now! ::)

Not trying to flame you or anything, but I would've filled my boat to capacity, unless you guy were willing to kick in the dollars! Hey, it's all about the dollar bill when you get to the bottom of the barrel! ;)

abdiver12
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM

If you had only 20 people, that's not really "chartering" the boat, that's paying for 20 spots leaving 20 still open. *If it was really a charter, you would have paid for the full 40 spots despite having only half that number. *If you didn't, then what he did was certainly justifiable. If you did pay for 40 spots, then that boat should have been completely yours.

żżż
09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
No, we had OVER 40 people on the boat. It was something like 45-47. Wall to wall man. And yes, I've seen people turned away to his brother's boat because he overbooked (I was in that group). His brother has since sold the boat and is now called the Kitty Kat.

I don't blame him for wanting to maximize his return - it's a business. But there are some things you should do in managing your business to build good relationships. It's obvious he's in it to make the dollar, and that's fine. People keep coming back, don't they?

slick88
09-10-2008, 03:00 PM

If you had only 20 people, that's not really "chartering" the boat, that's paying for 20 spots leaving 20 still open. *If it was really a charter, you would have paid for the full 40 spots despite having only half that number. *If you didn't, then what he did was certainly justifiable. *If you did pay for 40 spots, then that boat should have been completely yours.

I don't think some of you guys understand the meaning of a "charter."

When a boat is chartered, a flat fee is paid for use of that group only, whether it's 1 person or up to the maximum set by the Captain. So it doesn't matter if we had 20 spots open since we paid for ALL spots for that particular trip.

żżż
09-10-2008, 03:15 PM
A private charter is exactly that - private. That is, unless it was explained to you beforehand that there will be exceptions made.

My understanding is that when one books the boat, they get it regardless of how many of their party shows. Is it fair to ask for a partial refund if some of my party doesn't show up? Of course not.

Again, the whole good will thing...

fish_junky
09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
You want a fast ride to the Farallons. Book a ride on the Flying Fish out of Berkley. You can wave at both Catamrans as you past them. ;)

nelson9
09-10-2008, 06:53 PM
A partyboat should only book as many people as they have rod holders. If Quang did over book I'm sure he did it knowing he had room on his other boat. At one time he owned both Goldeneye boats. There are probably alot of people who book trips and don't show up or bother to call to cancel. If over booking does happen I don't agree with it either but I can understand the reason behind it.

abdiver12
09-11-2008, 01:54 AM

If you had only 20 people, that's not really "chartering" the boat, that's paying for 20 spots leaving 20 still open. *If it was really a charter, you would have paid for the full 40 spots despite having only half that number. *If you didn't, then what he did was certainly justifiable. *If you did pay for 40 spots, then that boat should have been completely yours.

I don't think some of you guys understand the meaning of a "charter."

When a boat is chartered, a flat fee is paid for use of that group only, whether it's 1 person or up to the maximum set by the Captain. So it doesn't matter if we had 20 spots open since we paid for ALL spots for that particular trip.

Well in that case, I stand corrected and that boat should have been entirely yours for the day. He shouldn't have let anyone else on board and you had/have every right to be frustrated. As Mooch says, its all about building good relationships, especially in the fishing business. Sorry to hear that happened to you, especially after paying all that money.

JMat
09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info!!!

A buddy and I'll will be looking into the different charters and will be going out soon.

Was a little worried this thread might get poofed though.

JMat

gmdcdvm
09-13-2008, 03:09 PM
No poof...everyone kept it civil.

Good luck out there. If you want to avoid the crowds try one of the 6 pack boats. Other wise all the party boats will probably be filled to capacity (between 25-30 people for most of them, and apparently up to 40 on the Golden Eye).
G

JMat
09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Oops. I'm sorry... I forgot I wasn't on the trout board.
Thanks for all the input.

JMat

slough_slayer
09-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Anyone know of any good charters out of the general San Francisco area. *A buddy of mine and I are thinking about going. *Any other ideas are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks

JMat

i run a private charter out of richmond to the farrollons....

$150 per... all you need to bring is fishing lic. with ocean stamp...

i supply all tackle, rods and reels, bait,breakfast donuts, lunch, snacks, and drinks....

here's a nice ling and some rockfish we caught today.........

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7537/1000709tt6.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000709tt6.jpg)

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7537/1000709tt6.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000709tt6.jpg)
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4323/1000710js0.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000710js0.jpg)

we will be going out this week to get his bigger brother ;)

you can reach me @ 707-208-8809 john

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *408-679-5668 jason

FISH ON!!!!!! SLU SLAYERS!!!!!!