PDA

View Full Version : Aced at Amador ... again! *10-18-06

YakMotor
10-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Ace and I hit Amador to catch near perfect weather and a healthy passel of cutbows.

I thank the teeth of a trouble making horse for a couple hours extra sleep. *Instead of predawn we left late because of mutilated trailer light wiring. *Launching at 9am Ace had his first fish on by about 9:20. * My first came a short time later. *
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1461/amadoraces061st475wuc1.jpg

Only two other trailers were in the lot when we launched but the good weather lured more boat traffic as the day went on. *Bank anglers were more abundant. *Success for some of them came on the boathouse dock, on the dam, and on the spillway side closer to the dam. *These areas were also best for trolling our flies.
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9045/aceyakatamador101806475weq1.jpg

Woolly buggers worked better than the white Power Grub I had on for a short time ... although I did get one light bite on it. *Lots of my hits were "tap tap ... tap" and then I'd miss the set. *I fought three but took only two home because a strong fighter figured out fouling my line in the prop would set him free. *The first fish I battled was like "LIMP." *It came in quickly with little fight. * Once in the net though it woke-up and fought hard my attempt to get it on the stringer. *Number two hit my black bugger like a meteor and fought like a freight train. *Both fish were the same size ... about 2lbs.

Ace limited with 5 and played at least one LDR. *His prowness with the buggers is undeniable. *His biggest cutbow was close to 3lbs. *At the cleaning station he found two bucks and three hens which were loaded with eggs.

While not fast and furious our six hours on the water proved Amador is well worth fishing. *In the absence of Hoghunter3, Freon, and Dennis we voted ourselves chief honchos of the day! *Hey! *Gotta claim your fame when your can!

CraigV
10-19-2006, 02:11 AM
thanks for the report Yak! good to see you guys hooked a few. what is the total plant amount thus far? As far as Amador fame, I have always considered you one of the top dogs at amador along with *Freon,Hoghunter,TroutCoach,Milke22CA and Dennis. From your guys' reports and tips in the past, we have learned alot of useful info to fish amador that we didnt know before so thanks for that. last season was good for us. we'll be seeing you soon on the water there, im sure. we'll either be in my boat (metallic green fiberglass that looks like a small bass boat) or bmoelongliners small aluminum or big bass boat. anyways, we'll be sure to say hello this year. we have crossed paths before out there but we usually dont bug ya while you were fishing. until then, *peace and fish on! ;D

partner
10-19-2006, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the report. *JW and I look forward to next month when we will return to the battling trout of amador.

partner

robert_long
10-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Good report Yak, hope to fish there first of the month. Cant wait for those great fighting fish. :)

*Robert

fish_junky
10-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Good report, I'll start fishing up there next month. It'll be fun. :)

Thanks for the report.

Diego916
10-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Woohoo! Thanks Yak! ;D

superT
10-19-2006, 07:55 AM
YACMOTOR, thanks for the report. I too like the woolyburgers. Also have had good luck top lining worms on a fly line. I should be at Amador on the 2nd week of Nov. If Slammer can get away he'll likely be with me.

n2trout
10-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Great to read your post Yak. Nice to see the fish are starting to bite at Amador. I bet there will be quite a bit more boat traffic there this weekend when others get "wind" [smiley=bomblighting.gif] of the good news. :)

Trout_Shark
10-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the great report as always Yak. It's nice to see those google images again! It looks like it's going to be a busy year, good to see someone getting them early. I'M sure SJ and I will see you out there many times again this year. 8-)

As far as Amador fame, I have always considered you one of the top dogs at amador along with *Freon,Hoghunter,TroutCoach,MilkeCA22 and Dennis.
Hey Craig,
The guy just below you can put em' away too(when he's not slamming salmon) ;)
And Freon is questionable :P ;D ;D

mike22ca
10-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the mention CraigV. It sounds like its time to bang out some 50+ fish days pretty soon here :D

calebetis
10-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Yak, great report, thanks. I think I'll be going up Sunday to break in my new boat, which has not seen water yet. I've got a lot to learn with the new set up and fish finder and was going to try the lake regardless, but now that sounds very promising. I've got several tips already from this site, but haven't heard the trolling flies yet. What was your method...depth..flashers etc. Thanks in advance.

greenman

CraigV
10-19-2006, 02:01 PM
hEY TROUTSHARK, yeah you are probably right.....Partner should get props as well for his amador skills. some of you others as well deserve some kudos. no need to mention, you know who you are...see you all on the water.... CraigV

YakMotor
10-19-2006, 02:30 PM
A fishfinder at Amador, at least for me, offers more amusement than fish catching education. I've NEVER seen so many fish show up on my finder before, but they aren't the ones you're likely to catch. Going deep (from reports I've read) seems to cause more frustration than fun. I've haven't spent much time trying for the deep ones as it's the recent planters that hug the surface which are more apt to take a easily trolled topline lure.

For rigging a trolled wooly bugger I suggest 6lb test and a SECURE KNOT ... no sinker ... no swivel ... just tie it on the end of your line and when moving use the drag of the water to feed it out. When I began using "Vanish" flurocarbon line I had trouble with slipping and broken knots. I finally found one easy enough for a fumble fingered half blind old fart to tie and one that holds better than anything else I've ever used. Having "said" that I went back to see if I could find the info the picutre that taught me how to tie it, but, sorry, I couldn't. I will though try and work up an illustration of how it's done and post it later.

As far as pounds of fish planted so far at Amador I'm a little confused. I THINK the sign yesterday said 8,000 lbs. as we came in but that doesn't seem to add up with previous reports and the gal at the counter saying they'd just planted again yesterday (Tuesday the 17th.) At one point we trolled right over a huge school of what probably was the bulk of that fresh plant. I could see hundreds thru my Polaroids. I figured surefire hookups when our flies passed over, but not a single taker! Seems ones that hit were on the fringes of the group.

Ace tried a purple bugger but high brows weren't interested. Blue collar cutbows came to black, green, or brown. A fly tied with a little "flash" seems to help. Size 6 or 8 hook.

No stars yet on my yak nor on Ace's boat. but I'd welcome a shout from any Sniffer (just don't cut us off on a troll!) I'm a easy to spot ... a crooked neck short bearded Santa usually sporting a good luck Aussie styled bush hat.

SalmoClarki
10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Yak, its good to see you and ace get into some cutbow action. You've got me thinking about going next wed. I think those fish towards the bottom aren't actively feeding. It would probably take your lure hitting their nose for them to bite, but i know there's some hogs down there for sure ;) SJ

dirty3hirties
10-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Troutboy and I will be up there on Sunday in our pontoons. Any Sniffers thinking of going? We'll be easy to spot in our Orange pontoons. Hopefully the fish will be acclimated enough....either way, it's exciting to be starting another slammin' year at Amador!!!

calebetis
10-20-2006, 12:36 PM
"Dirty30's",
I am taking my boy up on Sunday, first time at Amador. I'll be the Jack A** fumbling around in my brand new 14' Klamath and 15 Merc, towed by a white F250. Time to get the boat wet and work out the bugs. Hope to see you there...and good luck.

greenman

atavuss
10-20-2006, 03:13 PM
dirty, why the pontoons instead of that nice comfy boat you guys have?

Trout_Terminator
10-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the mention CraigV. *It sounds like its time to bang out some 50+ fish days pretty soon here *:D

mike when you go bro, tell me what to bring becouse you have got to show me how to slay them hogs (if you dont mind).

YakMotor
10-21-2006, 06:50 AM
A few posts back I mentioned a GREAT knot I discovered last year somewhere on the internet. *At the time I was having problems with breaking and loosening on the new fluorocarbon line I was trying. *I forgot both where I found it and the name of the knot but because I think so much of it I made a sketch that shows you how to tie it.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9916/knothookgr8.jpg

Once the tag end is run through the loop at the finish pull it slowly to snug a little then wet before tightening by alternate pulls from hook and tag end. *The knot will break if the tag end is pulled too tight. *It just sort of needs a little locking tug after the twists slide down to the hook. *A little practice will show you how easy it is to tie and give you the chance to test it's strength on the type of line you're using. Oh yeah, number of twists don't seem to be critical as four to seven have worked fine for me.

Springy slippery fluorocarbon makes it tough to twist and poke the tag through tiny loops. *A BIG benefit of this knot for clumsey folks like me with bifocal vision is you can make the finish loop as big as you want. *You can even tie this one with gloves on! *I'm using it now on almost all my connections. *Give it a try I think you'll like it. *If anyone knows it's name please pass it on.

hoghunter3
10-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Brings back some GREAT times from last year. Lots of laughs (and fish) out on that lake. Probably get back out there soon (after Freon, Partner and Paddleman teach me to catch a few tsalmon on the rivers)

Great report Yak! Keep them coming

hunkfisher
10-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Good report guys look like amador is beginning to wake up from the looks of thinkgs yak the dam would be the place to go and they are not that deep yet i am going tomorrow i know risky on the weekends but maybe ill get lucky and everyone will be at church.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

fish_4_alivin
10-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Thought about going yesterday but did not. Mabey next week. Anybody know wheree I can get some stars?