PDA

View Full Version : EChip for Trout

CoorsLIGHT
10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Has any one had any luck with the EChip?

atavuss
10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I used one several times at highway 88's Silver Lake with no luck. I used it according to the directions that came with it, the narrow end is the front and when I let it out 100' behind the boat I could see it right at the top of the water skimming like a surfboard!

CoorsLIGHT
10-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the FYI..... Anyone else out there that has used one? I was thinking of using it at Lake Amador....

Kneedeep
10-18-2006, 05:03 PM
It won't hurt to give it a try at Amador but make sure and put it down a coulpe feet either with a down rigger or banna weight. Green Is a must color at Amador and the top 4 feet of water is most productive. I have had luck with and without the e chip. I think the most important part is the color and the action and depth of your lure. Good luck Kneedeep

Oxbow
10-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I've caught fish with it, I've caught fish without it. I don't think it hurts, but I can't say that it's enough better or worse than a straight lure to make a difference.

CoorsLIGHT
10-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks Oxbow

Bait-n-Wait
10-19-2006, 06:43 AM
I've had some luck with them. Kneedeep is right though, ya got to keep them down with weight. If your top trolling, a 1/2 or 1 oz banana works good between 0.8 and 2.5 mph.

Don
10-19-2006, 07:03 AM
I have used them and have had luck when other lures havn't.
I use the Pro-Troll trout killer in Black and White without a attractor at Malones in the afternoon when the bite is the slowest.Acording to Pro Troll it put out the same impule as wounded bait fish.How do they know this?To me it is another lure to have when the bite is SLOW.
*My go to lure is the EXEL in black and white with no attrector WAY back 150' or better,But thats me
* * Don

Ray@q97
10-19-2006, 08:00 AM
I don't think they hurt anything. I have also caught fish on them. My feeling is that color and speed are far more important than the echip. But it is something to try when the bite is slow. Most of the time I end up with a bass on the thing.

Ray

Trout_Shark
10-19-2006, 08:37 AM
There are two must have e-chip lures, the watermelon and the fire-tiger apex.
The firetiger might work at Amador, but I would not recommend it. Any other lake in the foothills and many higher elevation lakes you will get fish with one of the two lures. I change the original line out and replace it with 6lb maxima. I believe you get more action this way. Also I hardly ever use dodgers/flashers, you get plenty of movement from the lure. Dip it in sauce, and let it out. My 2 cents, I hope it helps. 8-)

LD
10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
I had tried one once, and did not have any luck with it.
To be honest, it was a slow day anyway, and for some reason I do not have much success with lures in general, although I do have many, and still use them from time to time. *:-/

LD