PDA

View Full Version : types of rods/reels @ Pyramid

bankerbull
10-17-2006, 04:24 PM
I've got a quick ques. for anybody ....are the rods you guys/gals use 1 piece or 2 piece and what is the rod of choice at Pyramid..also the reels I notice are not spinning reels but the open face reels, what size reel is the popular choice and what lb test line do you use there? I'm just curious because I want to be prepared if I end up buying a boat because I surely want to go next year.. :P. later friends, Steveo

Captain_Morgan
10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the boards Steveo.
* As far as rod.. I prefer a bait cast pole in the 8-12lb range with a garcia 5500 level wind reel,for Pyramid.One piece or two piece is perfrence.(breakdown for travel)The open face reels aren't good for trolling,I hear they create line twist.It must be the way it comes off the reel. We were useing 8lb test at Pyramid. I put my wife on a vance's koke rod (has back bone)with a shamino cardiff 100 reel.Worked fine. Don't go crazy with heavy tackle.You can catch big fish with lite tackle.Buy something you can use at all lakes. This is just my opinion. *GL ;)

Capt

45_Auto
10-17-2006, 05:49 PM
The good Cpt came pretty much close to what everyone used. The rods are generally 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 footers and are rated UL to Light action. I used a 7' pflueger trion UL action Trout/Kokanee rod. coupled with a 30year old Gracia 5000 loaded with 8lb maxima. And I had a ball landing my 25"er.

You don't need to spend a fortune on tackle, though some will. I just finished putting a rig together for my wife. She has one of the 7' Vance's, paired with a Daiwa 17LCA, and not counting tax it cost $135. You can spend more, or even less. The choice is up to you.

Laporte
10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
I was using one of my Seeker Kokanee one piece rods with a Shimano Corvalus level wind reel. 8# test line. The same setup as I use trolling for Kokes. I might use 6# during the reg. Koke season. The Seeker rod is a 7', 2-8# I'm pretty new to the boards myself 4x4. Lots of timely, informative info here, not to mention great helpful folks. This was my first Sniffer event & hadn't met any Sniffers before. I felt welcome & met many, placing faces to the characters. Welcome aboard.

ODDIE
10-17-2006, 06:50 PM
4X4Hummin; You can use almost any 6'6" to8' bait casting or trolling rod, one or two piece(preference) in light or medium light action. The cuts at pyramid are not line shy, you can use 8#, 10#, or 12# test line. I use Abu Garcia and Shimano level wind reels. You can put a good outfit togeather for about 120.00 including the line. Good luck and I wish you tight lines.

ODDIE

BigB
10-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Like the others, I used a Vance Koke rod during the Fest. I have an Okuma level wind reel on it with 8lb test. Everyone is talking trolling. When shore fishing, I use a spinning rod. Then there is all of those fly fisherman out there.

Brian

Mark_Damron
10-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Shakespeare Agility 7 ft. ultralight kokanee rod matched with a Pflueger trion 46 loaded with 8 lb. red cajun line. This is the same set up I use for kokanee and it handled the Pyramid fish with no problem. PHM

Rusty_Hooks
10-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Vance's 2 pc koke rod, a Shimano Tekota 500LC, 12# backed with 30# braid

It was the first time out for the kok rod with the shimano on it....

the shimano stays on it...swwweeeeettt :-*

Vances heavy rod will have to find a new reel ::)

chicofishrmen
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Welcome to the boards 4x4, I don't know where you live but I used a Lamiglass Kokanee rod rated for 4-8 lb test that I got at Fisherman's Warehouse in Sacto on Folsom Blvd for $60. I almost bought another one here in Chico that I saw at Long's Drugs for $49. Reel was a Abu Garcia 6500 (which was a little big, but I'll fix that by next year http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif, should have put new line on my 100 Calcutta) line was 8# Maxima. Poles are 2 piece

bankerbull
10-17-2006, 08:45 PM
[quote author=Captain_Morgan link=1161131055/0#1 date=1161132919]Welcome to the boards Steveo.
* As far as rod.. I prefer a bait cast pole in the 8-12lb range with a garcia 5500 level wind reel,for Pyramid.One piece or two piece is perfrence.(breakdown for travel)The open face reels aren't good for trolling,I hear they create line twist.It must be the way it comes off the reel. We were useing 8lb test at Pyramid. I put my wife on a vance's koke rod (has back bone)with a shamino cardiff 100 reel.Worked fine. Don't go crazy with heavy tackle.You can catch big fish with lite tackle.Buy something you can use at all lakes. This is just my opinion. *GL ;)

Thats right, level wind, i couldn't remember that for some reason, thanks Capn' fer the info....Steveo *;)

bankerbull
10-17-2006, 08:49 PM
I was using one of my Seeker Kokanee one piece rods with a Shimano Corvalus level wind reel. 8# test line. The same setup as I use trolling for Kokes. I might use 6# during the reg. Koke season. The Seeker rod is a 7', 2-8# I'm pretty new to the boards myself 4x4. Lots of timely, informative info here, not to mention great helpful folks. This was my first Sniffer event & hadn't met any Sniffers before. I felt welcome & met many, placing faces to the characters. Welcome aboard.

Thanks Laporte. good info for me

bankerbull
10-17-2006, 08:50 PM
The good Cpt came pretty much close to what everyone used. The rods are generally 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 footers and are rated UL to Light action. I used a 7' pflueger trion UL action Trout/Kokanee rod. coupled with a 30year old Gracia 5000 loaded with 8lb maxima. And I had a ball landing my 25"er.

You don't need to spend a fortune on tackle, though some will. I just finished putting a rig together for my wife. She has one of the 7' Vance's, paired with a Daiwa 17LCA, and not counting tax it cost $135. You can spend more, or even less. The choice is up to you.

Thanks 45 auto....Steveo

bankerbull
10-17-2006, 08:53 PM
4X4Hummin; *You can use almost any 6'6" to8' bait casting or trolling rod, one or two piece(preference) in light or medium light action. *The cuts at pyramid are not line shy, you can use 8#, 10#, or 12# test line. *I use Abu Garcia and Shimano level wind reels. *You can put a good outfit togeather for about 120.00 including the line. *Good luck and I wish you tight lines.

ODDIE

Thank you Oddie, I was curious about the line, so up to 10lb is ok, cool...

bankerbull
10-17-2006, 08:56 PM
[quote author=BigB link=1161131055/0#5 date=1161139844]Like the others, I used a Vance Koke rod during the Fest. *I have an Okuma level wind reel on it with 8lb test. *Everyone is talking trolling. *When shore fishing, I use a spinning rod. *Then there is all of those fly fisherman out there.

Thank you Brian....

bankerbull
10-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Shakespeare Agility 7 ft. ultralight kokanee rod matched with a Pflueger trion 46 loaded with 8 lb. red cajun line. This is the same set up I use for kokanee and it handled the Pyramid fish with no problem. PHM

Thanks guy, Steveo

bankerbull
10-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Vance's 2 pc koke rod, a Shimano Tekota 500LC, 12# backed with 30# braid

It was the first time out for the kok rod with the shimano on it....

the shimano stays on it...swwweeeeettt :-*

Vances heavy rod will have to find a new reel ::)

Thanks Rusty Hooks, good info there...hope it sinks in lol...it will...

bankerbull
10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the boards 4x4, I don't know where you live but I used a Lamiglass Kokanee rod rated for 4-8 lb test that I got at Fisherman's Warehouse in Sacto on Folsom Blvd for $60. I almost bought another one here in Chico that I saw at Long's Drugs for $49. Reel was a Abu Garcia 6500 (which was a little big, but I'll fix that by next year http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif, should have put new line on my 100 Calcutta) line was 8# Maxima. Poles are 2 piece

Thanks Chico, I'm in Modesto..we got a place in a lil town called Waterford called the fish barn, I'll check them out, that's where I used to buy Squid, which, before everyone else found out , was the only bait I 'd buy for the rivers around here for Cats, Stripers, and anything else that roams these still waters around here in the central Valley....I used ta go to the Calif Aquaduct canal on the westside by Newman at night, as I was catching fish and nobody else was I decided to tell people about the squid, which then I purchased at the grocery store, it then began finding its way into bait stores, this was way back around 1985..thanks for the info sir, Stevo

sunracer1957
10-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Im stuck on Ugly Stiks

I use a BWD 1101 8'3" lite action 6-20lb paired with a Okuma Convector CV20 line counter.

The reel is OK at best but the stick is awesome. Its one of the best downrigger rods I've ever used you can load it up to beat the band and the tip is very lite you'll see every twitch. Then it has back bone for that once in a life time 15-20lb er that I know are in that lake.

The plus side is you can score one for around $50.00 bucks check em out.

Soon I'm going to ditch the Okuma and go with an LC17 Diawa Sealion line counter, or the new Abu line counter.

viper2
10-18-2006, 01:30 PM
I use the Abu 5500 Linecounter or the Daiwa LC17.

For rods I like the Vance's or the new Seeker Kokanee Rod

Bait-n-Wait
10-18-2006, 02:54 PM
I was using an open face reel on my shakespear uglystick at Pyramid. The Capt. is right, it causes line twist. It was really frustrating. I have several level winds and they always work well. I just had this one already set up with the 10# line for river fishing. I was being too lazy and wanted more fishing time. The stick worked just perfect though... ;)

atavuss
10-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey Steve,
you are only about 20 minutes from fisherman's warehouse in Manteca. it is on highway 120, about a mile east of 99. it is just about across the highway from the new Manteca Trailer place. you can find everything you need there and then some! I am using 6'6" light action ugly stiks with abu garcia 4600 reels loaded with 8 lb. Cajun line. I find the red color of the Cajun line is way easier for my old tired eyes to see compared to clear line.