PDA

View Full Version : Trout.....Sonoma

CanyonBC
10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Just moved to Sonoma State Univ. just south of Santa Rosa.....

Where should i start, looking for good trout fishing...up here

Cas_2006
10-10-2006, 08:03 AM
for something real close, there's Spring Lake in Santa Rosa. The lake is stocked with trout a few times per year. Then there is Lake Sonoma for some landlocked steelhead and Novato Creek that is also stocked once in awhile.
For some bigger fish and a bigger variety, Lake Berryessa in Napa County is a good choice when it turns over.
Beyond that, it really depends on how far you would like to drive as there are a lot of great lakes and rivers to fish.

Where'd you move from?

fishhawk101
10-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Cas_2006 - I'm looking forward to the turn over on Berryessa. What would you consider a bigger trout on the lake? This summer, I caught a bunch of smaller fish but I was targeting kokanee.

Cas_2006
10-10-2006, 09:06 AM
well, the only fish I've seen come out of Spring Lake were at most 12". At Berryessa, I've seen a couple of 3#ers and some pictures at the Steele Park Grill of some rather large trout, 6lb maybe?

After reading my post, I should have seperated Spring Lake and Lake Sonoma a little better.

CanyonBC
10-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Anyone no anything about

Spring Lake
Novato Creek
Roberts Lake????

Looking for Trout, bass, salmon, anything else

Cas_2006
10-11-2006, 03:48 PM
here's a website with some info on Spring Lake
Spring Lake (http://www.sonoma-county.org/parks/pk_slake.htm)

Satchell
10-12-2006, 02:33 AM
Dude, I live within a few miles of you and I feel your pain when it comes to trout around here close by. But I have good news! The Russian River is in your back yard and the steelhead fishing is great. Forget about Spring Lake and Novato Creek (with all due respects to the Sniffers who suggested them). They are only good after the truck dumps a load of 10" trout for the kids to catch.

The Russian is just starting to go and fresh kings are in the lower river. You can't keep them, but you can catch them. Steelhead are really not in the river in good numbers until mid December, but after that it's great until Spring