PDA

View Full Version : Best Line for Sierra Streams?

fishnhockey
10-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Ok, as the season is close to an end I figure I can start shopping for next season! I had a lot of trouble with my line this year and was wondering what everyones preference was for stream fishing? Short, repetitive casting in those beautiful sierra streams/rivers seems to really mess with my line.

hetchy
10-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Seaguar is great line for leaders and for filling your reel. Not cheap but very abrasion resistant, casts well. Most stores have it. Product info. on this link.

http://seaguar.com/Products_IX.html

SuperDave
10-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Tell us a little bit about what troubles you had, what line, what test?
I've become a Maxima guy. Stream fishing doesn't require excessive long casts. If you fish water that has a fair amount of snags, I like 6 lbs rather than 4 lbs so that I can get a few of those lures back.

pgfisherman
10-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I really like trilene XL smoth casting, its a good all around line in 4 to 6 lb test. I also really like the the trilene sensation it strong and abrasion resistant.

red_perception
10-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Berkley Triline XT Low vis green in 6 or 4 pound test! The BLUE box. ;)

fishnhockey
10-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I had been using trilene 6lb, then this year thought I'd try spyder 6lb, but it hasn't made a difference. Both seem to twist and eventually start coming off the reel funny. No long casts, just tons of repetitive short casts with spinners. Yep, lots of snags, good currents, and what I end up with is kinky line that likes to curl and knot up.

CJC
10-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I had been using trilene 6lb, then this year thought I'd try spyder 6lb, but it hasn't made a difference. Both seem to twist and eventually start coming off the reel funny. No long casts, just tons of repetitive short casts with spinners. Yep, lots of snags, good currents, and what I end up with is kinky line that likes to curl and knot up.

Long time no see fishnhockey.

I don't think your problem is with the line. Spinners tend to twist the line a lot even when you use a good swivel. You may consider using the smallest swivel available and use two of them in line. Use the ball brearing swivels. They are expensive but when you are fishing with spinners you really need them.

fishnhockey
10-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey compadre!
Thanks for the tips, someone told me not to use a swivel, and now I can't remember, so I guess that means I don't have a good reason not to, I'll give it a try next time I go. Was hoping to get up one last time for my birthday, but now the husband and kid have a tkd tourney, so there goes that idea!

CJC
10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Well then HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2733/bdayparty9vi.gif

Me thinks mom needs to go fishing on her own..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

fishnhockey
10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Me thinks you're right! However, it's 44 and raining in Markleeville right now!

GCinGV
10-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately with a spinning reel line twist is sort of “the nature of the beast”. Most of the twist happens when the drag slips. When the line is pulled from the drag a distance equal to the diameter of the spool it adds one twist to the line when you reel it back in. If you get into a bunch of big fish it’s a constant problem.
Swivels help and also try to minimize drag slip. When it does get twisted let out your line (floating down stream) with nothing on it then pinch it between your fingers while reeling it back in and you can get most of the twist out.
GC

CJC
10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Me thinks you're right! However, it's 44 and raining in Markleeville right now!

Me thinks fishnhockey will have more fun fishing in foul weather. ;D ;D ;D

johnbfishin
10-09-2006, 08:15 PM
For stream fishing I like a mid-grade 6lb line. I'm not real picky, Trilene or spider line has worked well. I figure it just needs to be changed often so if it gives me any problem at all I put on fresh line.

anglinfool
10-10-2006, 09:26 AM
I use Maxima Ultragreen in 4 or 6lbs test. When using spinners, swivels help to keep line twist to a minimum.

Fish_R_Us
10-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Line twist - half of the battle is winding it on the reel spool in the same direction as it is wound on the line spool. If it's wound backwards, it will want to start unloading as soon as you cut it loose from the spool. Most of the time, winding with the spool label up is best (for a right-handed spinning reel). Sometimes the line is wound backwards on the spool (from the factory). On the most stubborn spools (where it wants to unspool in both directions), I mount the spool horizontally (using a pencil or bungee cord) and then wind it onto the reel spool. Regardless, spinners usually run straight. I'ts the Kastmasters and Super Dupers that usually create line twist, especially when trolled.

Cas_2006
10-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I use Maxima Ultragreen in 4 or 6lbs test. *When using spinners, swivels help to keep line twist to a minimum.

I've been using the same but thinking about a switch. Last time out I couldn't hardly see the line when trying to tie on a new hook. Hmmmm, maybe I need new glasses....... [smiley=huh.gif]

johnbfishin
10-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Being able to see the line has become a problem.
This year at Hell Hole I lost the impeller on my motor so a buddy invited me to fish on his boat. At 0:dark thirty we are getting ready and I ask if I can used one of his rigs instead of cluttering up the boat with more than what we need. We hit the water and he hands me a rod and reel with bright yellow line on it! I nonchalantly ask him if he catches fish using this line (crap I'm thinking) and he assures me that with 4-6' of mono leader it works fine (crap I'm thinking again). He proceeded to catch 8 kokes to my one.
I now have that yellow line on my stream fishing rig and with 4-6' of leader it works fine. There is still an issue with tying knots but I can see where I'm casting and how the line is being worked by the current, it helps a lot and especially in low light conditions.

The_Big_Sinus
10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I use the Tectan 3.1# test line... Works like a champ. I love it.