PDA

View Full Version : Re: caples and red lakes

highlands
10-07-2006, 03:53 AM
Way to go, you know your only as old as you feel!

atavuss
10-07-2006, 05:42 PM
you were only 7.5 miles from Upper and Lower Blue Lakes when you were at Red Lakes. instead of turning right to get to Red Lakes you go straight on the dirt road, it is called Forestdale road. 2 miles in you will go over a one lane wooden bridge, that is Forestdale Meadow. you will need 4 WD after the meadow. used to be able to see Lake Tahoe from the summit of the road but not anymore because of the smog there. at the top before you drop down into Upper and Lower Blue Lakes you will see Lost Lakes. last time I was at Lower Blue Lakes the water level was a bit low but good for bank fishers.
BTW, Red Lake is next to highway 88, not 89. highway 89 is a few miles down the road from Red Lake.

JMat
10-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Should've gone to Silver Lake, a buddy of mine and I were there today and cleaned up... Started at sunrise on Caples, too cold and windy so we went to Silver and limited out. We caught 14 in all, had to keep a few but whenever you can catch a 4 lbs'er, one 2.5 lbs'er, two 2lbs'ers and 10 other fish all from the shore it was a Great Day fishing.

atavuss
10-08-2006, 07:00 PM
you were at Lower Blue Lakes. Upper Blue Lakes is just up the road a bit. the way you went is the longer paved way. years ago that way was 12 miles of dirt road.
here is a sniffer map of Blue Lakes, does not show the 4WD dirt road but it is in the upper left corner where Lost Lakes is. the 4WD road is near the last campground by Upper Blue Lakes.
http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/bluelakes.html
you could drive all the way to highway 4 on a 4WD road that is the left fork from where you turned off to Meadow lake. if you thought the road to Meadow lake was bad then don't take the 4WD road to highway 4!

atavuss
10-09-2006, 04:23 PM
here is a better description of where the road starts from either end:

http://www.californiajeeper.com/deerval/review.htm

interesting story about Snowshoe Thompson at the end of the article, I cannot comprehend how Thompson survived the brutal trips he did!

it has been probably many years since I fished the lakes behind Blue lakes and I don't remember anything about them except there was a lot of small tree frogs one time I went there.