PDA

View Full Version : McClure Report-10/1

Viking
10-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Took Anetter Fishon18 out in my boat on Sun, Pine Flat seems slow, so we went to McClure. Started fishing around 7:00am from McClure Point to the dam area. Caught the biggest fish, almost 5lb. king, around 7:30. After that we worked for them. Fish were scattered from the dam all the way to the Barretts Cove area. Ended uo in drizzling rain about 6:00pm with 9 in the box. 6 nice kings from 3lbs to almost 5lbs. and two rainbows 2.0- 2.5lbs. and one dink salmon that we had to keep. All fish were caught on rolled shad. Salmon were 80-110' and trout were 45-60'. Enjoyed the company and the big one didn't get away this time.

Viking

Ray@q97
10-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Good going Eric.......do you have a picture?

Ray

Viking
10-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Ray,

Sorry, no pics. I have a good quality 35mm that I bought in Vietnam, but I have to have the film developed and put on a CD to post. I guess that I will have to break down and buy a digital one of these days. The 35mm has better resolution than the digital for blow ups, but no instant pics.

Erik (aka Viking)

reeltor
10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Viking- go for the digital. You'll love it! Bought my first 35mm in Nam from my supply sergeant when he DEROSed - still have it , but find digital is so easy and cheap.

Ironhead
10-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Erik,

Congrats on that nice fish. You have done really well at that lake this year. The big trout fishing will be starting real soon also.

McClure is a lake that does not get much attention on these boards, but when it turns on it is fantastic. Mtalley was averaging 15#'s of fish for 5 on a regular basis last year.

You would really enjoy a digital camera. Can't wait to start posting some pictures. I have not caught anything in the past month worth taking a picture of. LOL

Ironhead

zinger
10-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Wow great job Erik. I was supposed to go there yesterday but parents said no (it was my first solo trip). Should've went anyways *;)

Ray@q97
10-03-2006, 03:13 PM
I don't have a digital camera either....35 mm ......maybe one of these days.....glad you got into some fish.

Zinger, you did the right thing going to Pine Flat......maybe next time your parents will let you try a different lake. And heck Pine Flat is going to bust wide open any minute.....

Viking
10-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I have a digital video camera that takes stills, but the quality of the stills aren't that great. I will try it next time.

From Fresno, McClure isn't that much farther than Pine Flat timewise. Until Pine Flat turns on, you may want to give it a try. Maybe I will see some of you out there.

Viking

iron-man
10-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Went today(tues)Didn't see the report from Sunday. Did not do well. Maybe the cloud cover, change in the weather who knows? Used rolled shad and a variety of lures, one fish a bass. Did not mark alot of fish either. Talked to another fisher man (2 guys ) they had one trout all day. Fished at similiar depths and in the same locations as mentioned above. Only positives were I was on the water and I did see alot of bait balls just no fish under them. for what it's worth. iron-man

Viking
10-04-2006, 07:32 AM
iron-man,

Sorry that it was slow for you. Could be the weather front coming through. Did you inject your shad with shad oil? I forgot to mention that we found that the injected oil increased the catching percentage. Also, we caught more on the rotary trout rig than our hand tied shad rigs. I also varied boat speed quite a bit to trigger strikes. We didn't mark any big schools of either trout or salmon. It was a few here and there and we had to work for them on Sun.

If it's slow at Pine Flat, don't give up on McClure.

Viking

iron-man
10-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Viking, actually I was using fresh shad with shad oil dripped on them.I have tried the rotary trout killers in the past but did not try them Tues.Even tried leadedline with flashers as we saw alot of fish on the surface. Tried top lining a cop car also nada. I do not like to fish when there is a large change in the weather on way or the other.Don't like to fish if there is a large fluctuation in the water level either. Plus when my fishing partner for the day got to my house I checked in his lunch bag and there was a banana hidden down in the bottom. I took it out and left it home but I guess the damage was done. Just like a veteran fisherman excuses excuses excuses. When are you going back to Mc Clure .I may try again next week when everthing weater wise settles down . thanks iron-man

Viking
10-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Iron-man,

I may try again next week, as well. Busy this weekend. Just depends on when I can get away. I will PM you, if I can go.

Viking

dogfish30
10-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Put in at Barret Cove about 7:00 am today and started trolling with shad right away. Would go about half way to the dam and turn around. Caught one small koke pretty quick, then it died. It picked up again about 10:00 when I got a bass on a UV Apex, at 100'. Go figure. It got better though. Ended up with two kokes, one rainbow, and the bass. All released. Also got three kings. The biggest at about 2.5, to 3 lbs. All the kings were on shad. Very little boat traffic today. Wind would pick up pretty good now and again though. Good day on the water...DF30

iron-man
10-06-2006, 08:44 PM
DF 30 , you caught everything at 100 ft? Did you use a dodger in front of the shad? Scent? Thanks, iron-man

dogfish30
10-07-2006, 07:35 AM
iron-man, caught everything from 95', to 110' yesterday. Got one small koke, and the bass on the apex, with a Vance's chrome with green dodger. Everything else was on shad. Got the two smaller kings on one of those e-chip harnesses, and the big one on a hand tied rig that Monty Smith gave me. Used Pautzke's gel krill on the harnesses, and soaked the other shad with Mike's glo scent. Really had to work for them yesterday. Going against the wind made it tough. Where do you get shad oil, and does it come with an injector? Going out again on Monday to either McClure again, or maybe Don Pedro. Good luck....DF30