PDA

View Full Version : klamath trout ABOVE lake copco

motlot77
10-03-2006, 09:06 PM
i'm going to the klamath to fish trout above lake copco on the 15th. previous years have been very good, but was wondering if there were any "secrets" people are willing to share.

i read rainbows can get a little over 7lbs up there. i think the largest we caught was a couple pounds and about 21".

any tips for catching some fatties? we usually use panther martins. but i was thinking of bringing up some other stuff this year.

any help would be appreciated....there is a $pot$ to be won with about 20 people going in on it. last year me, my bro, and my dad took all da money! team german, baby. 8-) we're looking to repeat our luck this year.

SierraSkier
10-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Motlot, sorry I have absolutely no info for you, but you might try some of the folks on the salmon board, those folks have the Klamath dialed, but rarely post on the trout board. Chetco Indian is probably a great contact for that area.

motlot77
10-04-2006, 12:36 PM
thanks sierraskier,

i posted there as well since we'll be trying for salmon too. i guess no one heads that high for trout? it's a beautiful river, one of my favs. nice looking trout too.

Greybeard
10-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Mot Lot,
I have fished up there a little bit but it sounds like you have done better than most. The Copco Sportsmen Club has local tournaments on the major holidays. These are for all ages and specie. Its a great fishery for kids with the yellow perch hitting even bare red hooks. if I recall 17 to 19" trout usually place high in the tourneys. I think that there are 6 access points. Probably, as usual, hiking a bit will get you to better habitat. Also, my best fish from there years ago had a whole 4" crawdad in its belly with big claws and all. I guess tails or whole dads might work well. Now, I use barbless spinners and C&R mostly. No big ones over 16" that way though. You are right about the color and they fight well too.
Do you stay at the boat launch Mallard Cove when you go? It used to be free. Anyway, good fishin to ya!!
GB

motlot77
10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
greybeard,

i haven't fished the lake. we hit the klamath above the lake. it's an awesome stretch of river before it hits oregon. my dad's buddy has a house up there right next to the lake.

Greybeard
10-06-2006, 04:26 AM
motlot77,
I have a place up there as well but don't get there very often. The 6 accesses I was referring to are up river to the border. I think the riffles and tailouts are the best because of the more oxygenated water. Klamath Lake in Oregon is a shallow lake with lots of vegetation and the origin of Klamath River. There are a couple of power generating dams also that make the river water somewhat turbid. But ther are lots of fish.
Go get em and post how you do.
Might make it up there myself the 2nd or 3rd week of October.
GB