PDA

View Full Version : Any dollies in California/Oregon?

NickVellios
10-01-2006, 08:28 PM
I never caught any sea-run dolly varden (bull trout) in California but I am moving back or maybe to Oregon and I was wondering if there are any.

I had fun catching them in my backyard Washington. Notice the Pajama pant waders!. *They are a blast to catch and can get real big.

Here is a pic of one I caught in Washington. *It was about 33" and 7-9lbs. * Bigger than most steelhead, I thought I had a spring chinook on the line for most of the fight! *They fight harder pound for pound than most fish in the river.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4819/digitalcamera1022hl7.jpg

A dolly that escaped a bald eagle. *A little guy about 17"
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4530/digitalcamera1012qg0.jpg

btw, any suggestions on where in Oregon to move? *I want to move somewhere with a decent population and a good run of steelhead and salmon. *It needs to have an expanding economy since I am a union carpenter and build a lot of factories, power plants, and big city projects (high rises and stuff). *I was looking into Medford. *I like the climate a lot and the Rogue is a badass river!

motlot77
10-01-2006, 08:33 PM
nick,

what area of washington did you move from? i drove once from spokanne to tacoma and it was AWESOME! i loved the scenery and it was the 1st time and only time i have seen a bald eagle. some very beautiful country up there.

have you checked out pacific city i think it's called, right on the coast. i'm not sure if there is a lot going on in the area but they supposedly have 2 great rivers for salmon, and if you're into surfing, a good surfing spot.

NickVellios
10-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I moved from Concrete, Washington which is 40 minutes up the Skagit River near Mount Vernon which is about an hour or so south of the canadian border. I haven't looked into that area yet, no. *I will though.

Yes, there are LOTS of bald eagles. I actually started getting sick of them because of all the tourists that would come in the thousands and stop in the middle of the road to take pictures! >:(

also, I forgot to ask. *If there are sea-run dollies in cali or oregon, what systems do they inhabit?

dan82
10-01-2006, 09:16 PM
nope no dollies in oregon, but there are bull trout which are basically the fish (kinda like rainbow vs steelhead) in central oregon.

NickVellios
10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
nope no dollies in oregon, but there are bull trout which are basically the fish (kinda like rainbow vs steelhead) in central oregon.

Ya, I heard of a lake that holds monsters in central oregon, but they just don't look as pretty as the sea runs. Also, the reason i wanted to know is because when steelhead fishing gets slow the dollies provide just enough action to justify ditching work. :)

Chetco_Indian
10-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Sauk,Skook plus your town Cement next to a great river. To bad Forks has nothing going on.

Sprout
10-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Legend has it that there are Bull Trout on the McCloud. Never seen or caught one.

Sprout

madmanonthelosse
10-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Unfortunatly the McCloud Bull Trout has become extinct

ghostfish_slayer
10-02-2006, 04:34 PM
what about those cuts?

NickVellios
10-02-2006, 05:00 PM
what about those cuts?

Cutts don't regularly get over 20". :)

ghostfish_slayer
10-02-2006, 05:14 PM
i know,i know maybe not many over 20 inches but some of those few coastal ones have been recorded at some decent weights,like 6 lbs.which could be fun on a light rod.

NickVellios
10-02-2006, 05:29 PM
i know,i know maybe not many over 20 inches but some of those few coastal ones have been recorded at some decent weights,like 6 lbs.which could be fun on a light rod.

True, however a 6lb sea-run cutthroat is record breaking. A dolly of equivalent size would be in the mid teens. So they are pretty rare.

I do love fishing cutts though. Great fun and put up one helluva fight!

ghostfish_slayer
10-02-2006, 05:46 PM
man you were blessed to have all those species of fish to do battle with.

Drkfish
10-02-2006, 08:34 PM

Ya, I heard of a lake that holds monsters in central oregon, but they just don't look as pretty as the sea runs. *Also, the reason i wanted to know is because when steelhead fishing gets slow the dollies provide just enough action to justify ditching work. *:)

When does steelhead fishing get slow in the Pacific Northwest? May-August you should be able to catch summer steelhead with regularity... Sept-October you have the summer runs into the Deschutes... December-January you have the hatchery runs, Feb-April you have the natives...

The only tough months are November... because it rains so hard... and because it is so cold where the summer steelhead stay... but November you can break down and fish for salmon..and April because they close some rivers. Catch rate is higher for summer steelhead on the coast than you can do for winter fish. So April is only the only tough month to land steelhead up there...

Drkfish
10-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I was a year round steelheader and the only time that I didn't fish for steelhead was April when I was busy with my son's baseball and beginning of May. Rest of the year, there are plenty of options for summer steelhead and that is the long season. The hatchery winter runs and the winter native runs are the short seasons. I'd go for a place with some options for summer run... or rather a LONG summer run... you can find winter fish almost anywhere in the Northwest.

Medford wouldn't be bad with the Rogue and Umpqua.. and it doesn't rain as much... further north you have some nice summer run rivers in the South Willamette Valley and in Southern Washington... just don't have the 30 pound natives. A few coast rivers have good long summer runs, but those are all out in the middle of nowhere... doesn't seem like they are places you will find work.

Big City with jobs... Vancouver Wa? Eugene OR? Medford OR... you could find a year-around steelhead season within driving distance of any of those. I'd go southern Washington over Portland for the fishing... none of those places rain as much as Seattle..

knof
10-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Hey Nick,
If you move to Medford, you will want to fish Klamath Lake, and the upper portion called Agency Lake. *That is where the lunker rainbows are. *I've landed a number of trout over 10 pounds. *They look like a cross between trout and salmon and fight like a bat out of hell. Some meat is bright orange, and some fish have the trout color. They say it is from what they eat. *

The F&G has screwed it up for the vacationing angler with a daily limit of one fish, which is freakin crazy!!! *If the limits where more resonable, I'd be up there every year like I use to go for a week. *Lots of good fishing though, and I will get back up there soon. *If you want some more info on it, just ask.

Keith

Fish_Bully
10-03-2006, 11:30 AM
There are signs on the McCloud warning of the zero limit and immediate release of DV if caught.

I fish the McCloud a lot and I've fished it for many years. Never seen one caught.

Fish_R_Us
10-03-2006, 01:12 PM
I havn't caught a DV since the Alaska days. That was many, many moons ago.

I'd be suprised if there are any left california.

GCinGV
10-04-2006, 06:54 AM
Awesome fish. Caught a few small ones in Montana last year.
Bull Trout Trivia: I believe the Dollys (Bull Trout) in the McCloud were originally planted on a private ranch owned by the Hearst family and weren’t native to Ca.
GC

NickVellios
10-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Well, first of all, there are summer steelhead in many rivers, but not all. The skagit, sauk, cascade, and nooksack which I fish often do not have summer runs. However, I have caught stray hatcheries and some of the nearly extinct natives in the summer.

Also, it's steelheading man. It gets slow even in peak times of the year. You get skunked often even in the best waters at the best time of the year, that is when a 20"+ dolly comes in, slams your offering and gives you a little thrill for the day.

The_Big_Sinus
10-05-2006, 04:33 AM
Lake Billy Chinook is the Oregon lake with dollies/bull trout... They apparently get fairly large in there. It's a tribal fishery.

You might consider Klamath Falls... It's growing. No Steelhead above the lake, obviously, but the Williamson River is nearby, with it's strain of rainbow that goes well over 10#- there are several lakes within a 2 hour drive that all hold trophy fish. The Deschutes is to the north a good bit. I'm sure there are steelies on the Klamath lower down on the CA side.

Should you catch a Dolly in the McCloud, let it go, and take a pic for the DFG.

I've caught many, many Dollies in AK. They are fun enough.