PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake 9/28-10/1 Pics Added

HSUSteelie
10-02-2006, 08:20 AM
To sum up 3 days of fishing at Eagle Lake = Tough

Friday-
My roommate (Sean) and I eagerly await the coming of the light as we stand on the beach at Eagle’s nest prepping the boat with images of 4lb fish dancing through out heads. We had the boat off the trailer at 630 am and started a slow troll north along the beach towards miners point. Anticipation builds as I watch the graph FULL of fish in about 20ft of water. Two short strikes later my adrenaline is pumping waiting for the first hook up while Sean is sitting on the edge of his seat knowing he is up to bat first.
Much to our surprise and anguish as light hit the water we realized that the lake has JUST turned over. I instantly grabbed the radio to get in touch with HSU Dad to discuss the matter. They too had discovered that the water was full of weeds and had poor visibility. They went drastic and dumped a ‘halibut rig’ (Green 3" grub with a chrome dodger) and begin to slowly work at their limit. In Sean’s and my attempt to keep it simple we started to look for cleaner water. We headed south towards the Marina remembering Vacaville Bob’s month long reports, put down a brown grub 15 feet and instantly pick up a fish, get him to the boat and the little terd decides to release himself at the side of the boat. Things appeared to be picking up but we ended the day full of rejection and an empty stringer. Much to our surprise HSU Dad and his crew of veterans ended up putting 3 in the box with their infamous halibut rig fishing it one color down on the lead core.
Lake conditions were the topic of conversation all day and night on Friday and it was agreed upon that catching fish depended on them being able to see the bait in such poor conditions. We all tied flies in hopes of righting the ship the next day.

Saturday-
On a hunch that the bite is early we were fishing at 6am with determined looks and thoughts of ‘we are going to slam them today’. Within the first 45 minutes trolling north to miners point in 20’ of water Sean and I had 4-5 monster hits, but not one of them stuck. Desperation sunk in as we were close to HSU Dad and could hear the drag being pulled and the hooping and hollering of his crew just feet away. The ticket for them was the Halibut rig, but the also caught fish early on a brown bead-head fly on the surface. At this point we had two choices, stick it out or find new fish. We picked up and headed to the youth camp and found lots of fish, but none that were hungry. I threw everything at them to no avail. HSU Dad slowly trolled north and informed us they had 4 in the boat. At that point I was contemplating calling it a day due to frustration and heading in when the decision was made for me in the form of a big south wind. That night it was decided that we would hit in early and hard in the hopes of being rewarded.
Sunday-
All three lines in the water by 5:50am – rod #1=brown bead-head fly #2=brown leach fly #3= size 1 green leech pattern with wing flash. All three rods had short strikes before we hooked up on the brown bead-head in 20ft of water just of the north point of Eagle’s Nest to put our first fish on the stringer of the trip. We were revitalized and pumped, we finally had it figured out. We moved south once the sun hit the water and this in when the fun began: ::)

While I was reliving myself Sean decided to pull some drag out on one of the rods to give me a fright- well it worked and I managed to dribble on my boat and my jeans. We got a good laugh and I waited for the moment to get him back. Sean turned to look at HSU Dad’s boat and I sneakily pulled out line on Sean’s fly rod- I got him so good that the rod came out of the rod holder and sunk to it’s final resting place at the bottom of the lake. Trying to lighten the mood I told reminded him that his ex-girlfriend gave him the rod and she broke his heart and now the rod is in the best resting place, at the bottom of Eagle Lake. Right after I finished my monologue of apologies we hooked up on the brown leech and another 2 1/2lber was in the boat. I told Sean he could catch my limit too as if that made up for me tossing his rod over the side of the boat. I put out a brown grub on a lead core rod with no flasher in hopes that we could finish out the limit down one rod. Within seconds Sean hooked up with what turned out to be a 2 ¾ lb fish. After that it was time to hit the road back to the coast, as we wanted to end the trip on a relatively good note.

HSU Dad ended up with another 3(I think ) Sunday on the brown fly and hali rig I will let him add some details I’m sure I forgot. The lake did start to clear up but the big wind on Saturday slowed the process down. It should be good in a week or so…really good. I did learn a lot more about the lake and how to fish it in less than ideal conditions and had a blast playing cards etc with the best company I could ask for. I will post some photos tonight when I get home.

HSU Steelie

vvbob
10-02-2006, 12:00 PM
HSUSteelie
Great story, enjoyed read your comentary....Got a good chuckle out of you knocking the Fly rod overboard, I can just imagine your horror as it flew out of the holder....

Fishing was tough for me the last 4 days also. The fish I did catch were shallow less than 15', & the 2" grubs worker 75% better than the bigger 3" grubs.
Gonna try it again after the Fest at Pyramid, hopefully the water will be stabilized from the turn over.
Can't wait to see the photo's

HSUSteelie
10-02-2006, 04:38 PM
It seemed like slow motion as it went flying out of the boat and there was noting I could do :'( :-/ :-[

Here's the two pics of the trip...at least they were nice fish :)

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/Eagle_Lake_9-28-2006_001-fs.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/Eagle_Lake_9-28-2006_006-FS.JPG

HSUdad
10-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Not much to add to HSUSteelie's story. I did not hear the 'reel' story about the rod they lost until I read it here. The hottest fly was the brown leach pattern with a bead head trolled about 1.3 MPH. Later in the day after the major bite was over (20-45 min) Green seemed to get as many fish, with the dodger acting as an attractant in the murky water. We did not have a strike outside the top 10 feet of the water column all weekend.

We all had a good time, and brought home a few fish apiece. Tough fishing, but I can't complain about the season overall as far as numbers go. Hopefully next year the fish will put on a bit more weight.

HSUDad

Fish_Bully
10-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Nice report....thanks!

Was going to hit Eagle Lake either this weekend or next.

Those were some nice fish....Eagle Lake trout are really hard to spit out! :)

SuperDave
10-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Somebody that dives should hit Eagle like the guys at the golf course looking for balls. I lost an expensive net out by Eagles nest. Rods, nets, lures, DR balls, the bottom has got to look like the best equipted tackle shop around.

Big_Country
10-03-2006, 03:42 PM
My brother once contributed a rod and reel to the depths of the south basin off Gallatin Beach...so the stuff's out there for the needy.

My fall Eagle trip is still six weeks away...thanks for the report.

Big Country
HSU grad - class of '82

HSUdad
10-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Another guy I know did not have his license on the boat fishing in the middle of the lake off Black Mountain, and when the sheriff boat hove into sight he slipped a nice rod and ABU Garcia 6500 over the side. With leadcore it sunk like a rock. *I have snagged anchor lines, broken lines with a fish on the end, but never a rod or net at Eagle.

HSUdad HSU Class of 70
(Should have been '69, but I was on the five year plan)

tortuga
10-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Nice fish. I guess we've all done something....not so bright....with fishing gear. *Its too bad when it is someone elses. *Like the new Shimano rod my buddy bought and I broke in half demonstrating how far it would bend. *(they won't bend so the tip touches the butt by the way) *Must be a reel friend since he didn't insist that you "walk" back to the ramp. *It makes a great story. *Guess it proves its better to be p...ed on than to be p...ed off huh? [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
Tight lines,
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing1.gif]

HSUSteelie
10-03-2006, 05:04 PM
My little joke just cost me $80 between the rod, reel and fly line. Damn good thing it wasn't his Sage!!!!! :o

We both agreed that it will become a better story to tell as we get older.

HSU Class of 2008(I'm on the 5 year plan too, could have been this spring)