PDA

View Full Version : Vini-v's maiden voyage

Slim
09-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Vini-v and I have been trying to hook up to go fishin for a while. Finally we hit the Beardsley AB Friday. Vini-v has never float tubed before & he doesn't have any waders *But I have an extra Float tube and an old pair of waders that *I let him use. I'm size 9 shoe 150 lb kind a guy. He's a size 12 shoe & *250 lb kind a guy. He squeezed into the waders and jumped into the float tube....Don't you think he looks a little uncomfortable here??
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/Sept%2029/viniVreduced.jpg

Vini-v was out of his comfort zone not having done much fly-fishing nor tubin but I think He did pretty good.
Anyway, we fished for a couple of hours. He missed a few hits. I really was hoping he would get into some fish but maybe next time...There were trout rising within inches of the shore line to all the way out in the middle. The evening was perfect, no wind, comfortable temp., fish rising everywhere.

He did call out to me saying he saw a very large fish. Then a few min. later I got to see it!!
Not exactly a fish. If you caught a glimpse of it when he would dive you would think its a fish but...
It's just a river otter swimming by
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/Sept%2029/Ottercropped1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/Sept%2029/Ottercropped2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/Sept%2029/Ottercropped3.jpg

So vini-v :
It was a pleasure to meet you in person !!!! I hope you had a good time.? I hope we could do it again *and maybe we'll get you to hook up with some Browns!!!! This next month should be a good month to fish in there. I'll pull out the pontoon boat and you'll be more comfortable...

Slim

YakMotor
10-01-2006, 12:23 AM
I remember that float tube feeling ... in waders way out in the middle of the lake ... after too much liquid refreshment!

GREAT shots of the otter. Was he that close or did you use a telephoto lens? While they sure are cute I remember the shocking report of a year or so ago about lake otters getting vicious and attacking swimmers. Sure hope I don't hear of any float tubers getting sunk!

Slim
10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
GREAT shots of the otter. *Was he that close or did you use a telephoto lens? *While they sure are cute I remember the shocking report of a year or so ago about lake otters getting vicious and attacking swimmers. *Sure hope I don't hear of any float tubers getting sunk!

Telephoto lens. He was comming directly at me till I spoke to Vini-v.

Skunk ....? I did manage a couple of trout.. a 16" Bow and a 16" Brown and also missed a few hits...

Slim

CJC
10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
LOL, I still remember my first tube outing with Reddhedd. I didn't catch anything either. It was real windy and I could not kick against that wind. I gave up and went on shore to land a few to prevent a skunk. But now I have learned a few tricks to deal with the wind, but still the feel of the bite is tough. I have not tried flies on the tube yet. May be some time this fall! ::)
As always, you take great pictures! :)

vini-v
10-02-2006, 07:18 AM
YEAH i was definetly out in the water not something i'm used to.

I look like i'm gripped with fear in that pic, ;D I think i was adjusting myself there after the back rest line that I snapped off ( probaby due to weighing 275 pounds , sorry about that Slim :P) I had nothing to really relax against so tried to stay in a upright sitting position.

It was a good experience and I did have a good time, it was different and educational for me and like I told Slim, I had just about given uip on flyfishing but this has only peeked my interest again for the challenge.

Found out that my old boyscout troop leader is still teaching flycasting class's down in Merced so soon as he has another one set up i'm going up for that class, I think that will help alot.

I had really practiced with the floating line and that sinking stuff is a tad different and more difficult to cast.

Blows me away! all those fish rising all around us. I did have one small one on for a split second and had some bumps it was fun to watch slim catch those few fish and his cast is something you can sit back and enjoy watching also.

Thanks for your patience and time Slim I really appreciate that and definetly planning another trip before the snow falls.