PDA

View Full Version : Sat Morn At Melones

tortuga
09-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Went out this morning to get a lake fix. I hit the ramp about 7:00 and no power. [smiley=frakenstien.gif]..the radio had been on for a week or so...bummer. But boy scout Tortuga had jumper cables and the extra battery in the truck. [smiley=shocked.gif] Still fishin by 7:40. Cruised Rose Island and the dam area for 3 hours and landed one 2 # bow. It was a beautiful day on the lake. The water is down a bunch from last week. I guess they let it down at the dam. It is still pretty durn full. There was no one on the lake. I probably only saw 5 boats in 3 hours. As I hit the dock the speed boats were coming in but it was not crowded even then. The 1 I did get was at the mouth of the dam at 54 feet on a fire tiger Apex with a dodger. (yellow with orange spots) I tried UV, blue and silver, green, silver, pink, apexes and needle fish, uncle larrys, they just weren't biting. Still beats working!!

Got 1 pic
tight lines
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing1.gif]

http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/32/33/9/35/72/2029935720067872317CgidBz_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2029935720067872317CgidBz)

kokemachine83
09-25-2006, 03:10 PM
The best luck we have are with Cop car and firetiger and blue/silver. Smear some pro-cure shad jell on the bottom side of the Apex. Good luck.

tortuga
09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Have you been using a dodger? We did pretty good last week on a UV apex without a dodger but this week I tried every combination I could think of. I bet I tried 8 different scents. I think it is the lower water. We've been catching a bunch off 2-4# bows but I didn't even see them on my 'finder this week.
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing1.gif]

snoose
09-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Tortuga, I am going out with Oxbow in the morning, also thinking about a night trip the end of the week. You interested?
I finally found a UV apex
Snoose

kokemachine83
09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Tortuga, we usually run them with out a dodger. I did hear of them letting out water from the lake. That might have put them in lock jaw for a little while. It should be a great rainbow bite this winter with some over 5 lbs. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. (Koke Machine)...

Slim
09-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I was at Goodwin lake ( which is below Melones & Tulloch ) Saturday and I was surprise how much water they were letting out. The spillway was still spilling 1200 cfs. So they are drawing Melones down I guess.

I picked up a couple of bass and a small trout while there by the way!

Fished 10:00 to 1:00

Slim

tortuga
09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Snoose
Sounds good to me. I'll PM you.
Kokemachine
I'll post when I start hitting them regularly again. I think the draw down reely hurt the bite.. I think they're gonna be huge this year! I haven't caught a trout smaller than 2# all summer.
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

atavuss
09-26-2006, 05:49 PM
are there copepods on the trout at Melones like at Comanche? are the larger trout holdovers?

kokemachine83
09-26-2006, 06:18 PM
atavuss, There's no co-pods on the rainbows that i know of. Been fishing that lake along time. I've never seen them. Yes and no on the holdover. They plant some that big and some are holdovers. There's plenty of shad in the lake so the fish get big.
Tortuga, Let us know about the trout, We like to fish up river above the Parrots ferry bridge late in the year. If you get into some fish in the main lake let us know. Like to meet you and Froggie. (Koke Machine)..

tortuga
09-26-2006, 08:09 PM
If you think the bows are big wait til you see the browns later in the winter and spring. I bet we see some 10 pounders this year. I'm telling you...NM is becoming one heck of a fishery. Gonna be like the "good ole days" I've never seen any copeds here either.
Kokemachine
I'm probably gonna start trying upriver a little pretty quick (like Sunday). I'm going up around Coyote Creek just to scout around this weekend. Even with this hot weather again and the lake dropping they are still biting a little. When it reely kicks in it is gonna be awesome! Maybe the ones a little further up won't be as spooky. Besides it a great time of the year to be out there. We really like to meet sniffers and share some good lies (I mean pure dee true fishing stories) We're usually on the lake at least once a week. Of course work does get in the way just a little.

Tight lines
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]