PDA

View Full Version : Trolling questions

Trolling Scotsman
09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
I have a few questions that I need help on. I have just discovered how hot Rapalas are. I used an original minnow floating Rapala on one pole and a Shad on the other last Sunday and caught all kinds of fish. I ran both of them on my downriggers at 45 and 55 feet. I put one behind a Dodger and the other behind a small set of spinning blades but after reading the board it seems it is best to leave all of the attractors off and only use the Rapalas.
:-/
Here are the questions:
1. *Is it best to just use the Rapalas alone with no attractors?
2. *What is a good sent to use on my lures?
3. *How much fishing line should I let out before I clip it to my rigger cable?
4. *I am using 10 pound test on my reels and 8 pound test for all of my leaders, is this good enough when fishing lakes like Pine Flat? * **

Thanks ahead of time for all of your help…

Jim

SalmonHunter
09-20-2006, 08:17 PM
1. i always just ran out rapalas with a snubber
2. i used to use mikes anise scent dont use any anymore
3. i used to let out about 50 or so
4. i used to use 8 sometimes 10 with usually 10lb florocarbon leader

hope this helps iam by far a pro but just passing on what i know

zinger
09-20-2006, 08:17 PM
[Here are the questions:
1. *Is it best to just use the Rapalas alone with no attractors?
2. *What is a good sent to use on my lures?
3. *How much fishing line should I let out before I clip it to my rigger cable?
4. *I am using 8 pound test on my reels and 6 pound test for all of my leaders, is this good
* * enough when fishing lakes like Pine Flat

Here are my answers, but I may be wrong...

1. Most people run their rapalas with no attractors, but nobody ever said you can't use them. I have caught fish both ways.
2. There are so many scents out there and I'm sure all of them work quite well, but personally I almost always use pro-cure. At Pine Flat with the fish feeding on the shad, the pro-cure threadfin shad bait sauce would probably be a good idea. At the very least, it will cover up your human scent on your lures.
3. It really depends on how deep you are fishing. If it's towards the surface where the fish might be spooked by the boat/kicker motor, let out as much as 100-200 feet. The deeper you go, the less setback you need.
4. On lakes like Pine Flat, Pedro, Melones, places that I know kick out big fish pretty consistently, I use 10 lb test with 8 lb leader.

Hope that helps...

SalmonHunter
09-20-2006, 08:18 PM
also check out yozuris i had my best luck with them

appleinorange
09-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Jim I am no expert but I run rapalas by themself. As far as sent I use Pro-Cure Trophy Trout Gel on everthing. Sometime I will use krill oil. I use at 20# braded nylon main line and 8 or 10 # flourocarbon leader. A 50 ft leader. I let out about 100 ft of line before clipping it to my cable. I have had 8# leader snapped twice last year. And the line was not old . This works for me. Rick

BigRichClovis
09-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Jim,

I know you fish Pine Flat so I will tell you how I troll Rapalas up there. My dad and I were doing really well in April, May, and June trolling the silver and black J-7 broken back. My dad uses lead core with no flashers and then he uses mini trol flashers and then about 12-18 inches of leader. My dad will troll on his kayak unless he is in my boat.

I will attach chrome and silver blades to my downrigger weight and put the line about 2 feet up from the weight. I will let the line out anywhere from 20-70 behind the boat.

Jim you know how fishing is, you have to toy with your setup to find the right combination for that day. That is why it is called fishing not catching. I would try to find the Shad up there and run all through them. Try different depths also.

Any time now the lake should be turning over up there and once the water stabilizes fishing should be good from surface to 20 ft. Good luck and once I get a brake from coaching football I will be up there trying to catch some football size trout.

Rich Brazil

SuperDave
09-21-2006, 07:30 AM
1. Is it best to just use the Rapalas alone with no attractors? Try to be a minimalist in trolling. No attractors. If you tend to troll at slower speeds, use the broken backs.

2. What is a good sent to use on my lures?
I tend to like the Pro Cure line of scents. The lake you are fishing will influence what scent is recommended. Garlic is a good all around scent. I use Trophy Trout a lot.

3. How much fishing line should I let out before I clip it to my rigger cable? The comment about fishing depth is the key. I like "farther the better". Under 20' I go 150' to 200' back.

4. I am using 10 pound test on my reels and 8 pound test for all of my leaders, is this good enough when fishing lakes like Pine Flat? This is my exact set up.