PDA

View Full Version : it was almost a bust

Slim
09-11-2006, 10:20 PM
But I managed 1 trout Friday and Troutcanoe managed 2 trout Saturday morning.

Donnell Reservoir is a lake that has 4 % shore line and 96 % Cliffs. The road going in is a road from hell, unless you like very rocky / bumpy, 45 minutes for 9 miles, Then a serious 4 wheel jeep trail, *type of road!!

But that's what gives it the allure. The very little fishing pressure makes for the rumor that it should hold 20 lb Browns. This is what attracts me to nearly kill myself, my truck, and troutcanoe .... *;)

Troutcanoe and I met at Strawberry, then He followed me down Beardsley Road , turned off onto a dirt road, drove to the gate & parked. We walked a few minutes to look at the Dam and the Afterbay. Then he loaded his gear in my truck and we were off, to my first ever 4 wheeling adventure. The truck drove over the deep holes and boulder and washed out road with no problem. :)

We arrived above the dam, got out and checked out the vista of the lake.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Donnell%20Trip/lee/OverlookLee2.jpg
After a bit we got the float tubes out and gear and headed down the trail to the water's edge. The last 150 feet of the trail was a very steep drop with loose rock and gravel. After falling over a couple of times (with all sorts of gear and our tubes) we finally reached the shore line and put in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Donnell%20Trip/lee/Leeonwater.jpg

The wind was light at first, but as it does daily, began to blow pretty good. No bites till dusk when a couple of trout began feeding on the top, that's when I caught my fish. We fished till 8:30ish while watching the wild fire burning on the 4-5 shelf’s on the cliffs. Then we left the tubes at the shore line and hiked backed to the truck where we feasted on meager sandwiches and such like.

The next morning we were back on the water about 5:30 am with the full moon. You could see pretty good with such light even though the sun hadn't come up yet. I ended up heading up the lake against the morning wind just to explore. Took lots of pictures (which I do when nothing else is happening, like, no action from the fish). * At that time troutcanoe finally caught his first rainbow.

By 9:30ish a.m. I was fed up and was ready to head home. As I turned around to kick my way back to the shore, the wind, as it does daily, changed directions. So again, I was fighting the wind for an hour +. That's when Troutcanoe caught his 2nd Bow. We finally made it out, with sore legs and all, & *I was glad when I arrived home to a hot shower and long afternoon nap.

The slide show is 12 pictures of the lake and rocky Cliffs....

Slim

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Donnell%20Trip/?action=view&current=Mountaincoolshot.jpg&slidesho w=true&interval=3

CalifBob
09-12-2006, 05:10 AM
Great write-up and great pictures. It sounds like a challenging trip.

Despite the slow activity, you were in a very beautiful and scenic spot. Just getting out in an area like that is a great reward.....

FISHINFOOL
09-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Some pretty nice country & a good report.
I my have to put that on my list of places to check out,even just for the views.
Thanks for the info
Paul
FISHINFOOL
Lonewolf

cjskier
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
I've never heard of this lake but it looks real nice. I have a 12' boat that fits in the back of my truck, would it be possible to launch it there? Looks like some excellent trolling area.

Flycanoe
09-12-2006, 08:57 AM
I've never heard of this lake but it looks real nice. I have a 12' boat that fits in the back of my truck, would it be possible to launch it there? Looks like some excellent trolling area.

Probably not if its aluminum. *Inflatable is the only way to go, whether it be float tube, kayak, canoe or raft.

To get to the water from where the truck stops, you need to carry your gear along a trail about a 1/4 mile while negotiating boulders and trees, then at the end climb 150' down a slope that is about 60 deg with loose rock and gravel. Then repeat the process to get back out. The rocky shore line in the second picture above behind me in the float tube shows what the launching area is like. * *

skipper
09-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey, Slim, nice report, the pic's are great. Not many places left like that. Thanks for posting. 8-) 8-) :) :)

AllFishNoWork
09-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Awesome pics! Thanks for the report.

iron-man
09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Slim, nice report, beautiful lake. Been there, done that once aint going back.This lake is for the young at heart, strong in the back and weak in the ____.Like I said I/we did that a few years ago. Actually dropped a boat in, then lowered a 5 hp motor over the side and the ice chests and the gear for not much more than you guys got. Way too much trouble and work for the rewards. The scenery is picture perfect and I've been told from time to time that large fish live here and some actually get caught. I cannot attest to that however,But I can to the temendous amount of effort it takes to fish there.Go for it youngens. old and tired iron-man

Sonora_Bob
09-12-2006, 04:18 PM
I haven't been there in years, and have never fished it. I may have to give it a try. Did you see any floating bodies? People keep falling in Clarks Fork falls, and they never seem to find the bodies. :-?

Slim
09-12-2006, 06:17 PM

With a helicopter ;D

Actually there are about a 1/2 dz boats chained up there on the bank. I haven't a clue how they got them there.

I talked about troutcanoe's canoe but once we were in there we said no way. An inflatable canoe would work though, like our float tubes.

Slim

Slim
09-12-2006, 06:20 PM
I haven't been there in years, and have never fished it. *I may have to give it a try. *Did you see any floating bodies? *People keep falling in Clarks Fork falls, and they never seem to find the bodies. :-?

yeah, that guy might just pop out there someday. :-[

ratss427
09-12-2006, 06:46 PM
slim ,great report and pics!its been many moons since i have been down to donnells.i can still see my buddy sitting on a spare tire in the back of my 4x4,all the way !ouch!......believe it or not,i actually fished from one of those boats down there. :o cut the chain with my bolt cutters.used my electric to bomb around for a while.then used my lock to chain it back up.fishing was just so so.but the legends of monster fish were too much to resist. ;D anyway,thanks for the great pics.looks exactly the same. ;)mark

isaaco77
09-12-2006, 07:15 PM
sounds like a good trip. Beautiful country. Can you imagine what that stream was like before they dammed it?

Slim
09-12-2006, 07:22 PM
sounds like a good trip. Beautiful country. Can you imagine what that stream was like before they dammed it?

I talked to a gentleman there who remembered what it used to be like back then. He thought it was a shame to Dam that canyon. So much for progress, but I do love tail waters fisherys sorry to say.

On the other hand you do get a glimps of the river & canyon below on the way in. So all is not lost !!!!

Slim

Sonora_Bob
09-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I haven't been there in years, and have never fished it. *I may have to give it a try. *Did you see any floating bodies? *People keep falling in Clarks Fork falls, and they never seem to find the bodies. :-?

yeah, that guy might just pop out there someday. *:-[

I know a woman that's been gone for about 10 years. They never found her. She was having an argument with her husband at the time. Funny, I still see him around town.

badbobfishing33
09-13-2006, 08:46 AM
WOW ;D :D :) That was awesome to look at those pics are great !!

Thanks for the info

YakMotor
09-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Soon as I saw it was a Slim post I knew I'd feast on eye-candy.
Thanks Slim

Slim
09-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Soon as I saw it was a Slim post I knew I'd feast on eye-candy.
Thanks Slim

;D ;D ;D

Your too kind!!

Thanks

Slim

stuckinlodi
09-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Nice pics. That lake is definately for the adventurous, but I wouldnt suggest anyone try fishing that lake by themselves if they have never been there.

There is a reason why bodies never get found, they get eaten by the monster browns. :)

HOOF
09-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Thats funny....its all about the STLAUS......RRRAAAIDEEERSSSSSS