PDA

View Full Version : nightcap N/M 9/5

snoose
09-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Another beautiful night on the water. We were on the water at 6:15 and Oxbow got the first Bow at 6:45. It was a very warm night with no wind.
I noticed we had no problem staying on anchor, more on that later.
The Hydro glow light did it's thing well, Oxbow was impressed with the shad.
He says the shad are large for this time of year so it will be good trolling later.
We managed seven Bows from 2.5 to 2.14 # for the night. All at 35 to 50 ft on worms and power balls.
Nice fish but one had the strangest looking head, it almost looked to big for the body. It was a bow but almost had a kiped jaw. Go figure.

When we tried to pull anchor we found we had nailed a tree good and pulled up half of it getting loose, oh well Oxbow and I had young muscle with us.
A very good night and Oxbow has a world of knowledge to share.
Snoose

tortuga
09-07-2006, 03:28 PM
:-X Boy I'm ready to get back out there. Sounds like the trout are just getting better and bigger. I think every trout I've seen this year has been over 2#. What a lake!! Sure is nice to have such a great "home" lake. Hey Snoose, what kind of tree was it and how much did it weigh? [smiley=laugh.gif] I don't guess I'll get back out there until next week. Oh well...save a few for me. (oh yeah, where did you anchor?)
Tight lines
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

snoose
09-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Tortuga, It was the spillway. Sorry STML Evie and I will be there Saturday night. All my kids flaked on me. I finally heard from them. If you guys can sneak away we can raft up. I am keeping far enough ahead of the honey do's to justify going. We can put you or bink?? on my tub to make room.
Charlie

tortuga
09-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Snoose,
I might sneak away without the girls or even just me and Froggie if I can but it's doubtful. I just played so much this summer [smiley=captjack.gif] I didn't get all my "stuff" done. I'll let you know.
Tight lines
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

snoose
09-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Ya play ya pay [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

tortuga
09-07-2006, 04:08 PM
:'( I just don't understand why nobody feels sorry for me since I went back to work. [smiley=violin.gif] I mean I only get Turkey Day break, Veteren's Day, X-Mas break, MLK Day, Pres Day, Spring Break, and then 2 1/2 months for Summer Break off work. It's just not fair!!! [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
See ya on the water, (when I can manage some time off)
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing1.gif]

Oh Yeah, Did I mention I only get 10 substitute days a year?

n2trout
09-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I have never fished for trout during the night hours but after reading the last few posts of your nightime adventures I am really considering it. I am just not sure how comftorable my little 14ft aluminum would be for an "all nighter". Does the wind pick up and create some good chop or does it stay releatively calm right now? How heavy an anchor and how long an anchor line do you think I would need to keep myself on top of the "honey holes" ? Thanks for the info and the reports. :)

snoose
09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
n2, if you are refering to melones, I have done it in a 14ft but it can get rough, chop is a mild term sometimes. I have 300 ft of anchor rope and an anchor rated for a 20ft boat. You can check the wind conditions for the lake on the net and if it got too rough just run for home. Tuesday night it was almost dead calm.
Snoose

Oxbow
09-08-2006, 12:41 PM
n2,

I hesitate to fish all night in my 20 foot Alumaweld and you could not drag me out there in a 14 footer. It might be OK for you young and tough guys but for us Geezers it's really nice to have a place to lay down and catnap while waiting for a bite. Snoose's rig is not quite like fishing off the Queen Mary but it's close and I highly recommend some creature comforts for the all nighter. I was watching out of the corner of my eye while catnapping the other night while a fresh pot of coffee was brewing and that's hard to beat!

n2trout
09-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the info snoose and oxbow. I might just have to H.H. to experience that night time action. I am not quite as old as some of you more seasoned veterans but I have obtained more grey hairs of wisdom over the past few years. ::)
Having plenty of room to stretch your legs and even "raid" the fridge sounds like good times. :)

snoose
09-09-2006, 03:07 AM
N2, check your P M