PDA

View Full Version : Finally hitting the Walker of HWY 108

bobby
08-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Finally hitting the Walker of HWY 108, anybody have any fishing reports for thw west walker river?

Also, where exactly does the west walker begin, and end?

Ill be starting at the Sonora pass, then wokring my way down towards 395...

is there any free maps that shows where the west walker begins and ends? also the same for the east walker....?

drstressor
08-21-2006, 12:41 PM
My wife and I were hiking along the W. Walker at Pickle Meadows yesterday. *We didn't see anybody catch anything, but it was around noon. *We did spot 3 really nice (~20") rainbows holding in the sandy runs along the cattle exclusion area. *We also spotted some smaller planters. Pickle Meadows is right across from the Mountain Warfare station maybe 10 miles in from 395.

rbilly029
08-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I have always done well at leavitt meadows on 108.

bobby
08-21-2006, 12:54 PM
My wife and I were hiking along the W. Walker at Pickle Meadows yesterday. We didn't see anybody catch anything, but it was around noon. We did spot 3 really nice (~20") rainbows holding in the sandy runs along the cattle exclusion area. We also spotted some smaller planters. Pickle Meadows is right across from the Mountain Warfare station maybe 10 miles in from 395.u can camp here too right?

and hike in? were they fly fishing or spinning it...?

Theres tons of good fishing in there from 1088 at the Sonora Pass to 395 right?

is that the West walker that runs down 395 to topaz/walker area too?

I will be using eggs, spinners, worms, any advice on hot spots welcome!!

bobby
08-21-2006, 12:55 PM
I have always done well at leavitt meadows on 108.
What type of fishing are u doing here?

thats in the same general area from the Pass to 395, correct?

drstressor
08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
u can camp here too right?

Lots of camp sites along the W. Walker. Most are down along 395.

There are little fisherman trails along the river bank. People were fly fishing, tossing spinners, and fishing with salmon eggs.

The W. Walker only runs along 108 close to the junction of 395.

Yes.

Can't help you there.

bobby
08-21-2006, 02:44 PM
u can camp here too right?

Lots of camp sites along the W. Walker. Most are down along 395.

There are little fisherman trails along the river bank. People were fly fishing, tossing spinners, and fishing with salmon eggs.

The W. Walker only runs along 108 close to the junction of 395.

Yes.

Can't help you there.
THX Doc....

another question, where abouts do the west walker and est walker meet up, i can find any maps....

would u say the W. Walker alnog 108 up to the 395 area is a good fishing area? or is it better along 395 towwards topaz?

again, thx for ur help, trying to make my final plan of attack!

drstressor
08-21-2006, 02:56 PM
The E. and W. Walker meet way down near Mason Valley NV. The lower stretches are pretty well dewatered by agriculture and are too warm to hold trout. Most years no water at all reaches Walker Lake.

I've never fished the W. Walker, so I can't tell you where the action is. There is less pressure along the bottom of 108 since you have to hike in a bit to reach the river. Along 395 you can just park and fish in many places.

somebody
08-21-2006, 03:10 PM
sonora bridge 3-4 mile west of 395 and east of usmc mt warfare base, park there and work your way down stream about a mile. camp ground up the hill

iron-man
08-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Walker river doesn't come anywhere near Sonora pass. About 12 miles or so East from S P you will go down a steep section down to the meadow. Stop before going down and take in the beauty.Great view .If you look South ward you will see the Walker emerge from the canyon. If you look way South you will see Tower peak. That is where this fork of the Walker starts(19 miles). If you want to use a variety of lures hike along the river To Roosevelt/Lane lake. Three mi-4 tops, just follow the trail from the parking lot about 1/2 mile downstream from the pack station. There is a campground right around there also with a nice bridge to cross the river. Another camp ground is located to the right and back in a ways just past the waker bridge just past the Marine base.There are a number of lakes in the area close by.The other fork of the Walker starts above Twin lakes about 20 miles south of where the west walker hits 395. This branch of the Walker crosss 395 at the town of Bridgeport. There are campgrounds up near Twinlakes and one by Buck-eye creek about 7 miles westward from 395. There is fishing on the East Walker both above the reservoir and below the dam. Check on the regs however as to limit and kinds of hooks and type of lures allowed.The others pretty much covered the river close to 395. There are alot more campgrounds in tyhe area. Another one is located south of 108/395 junction, travel south about 2-3 miles to a gravel road that heads back towards the Sierras. This road can be easily seen from 395. Enjoy. iron-man ps if you need more info get in touch with me tonight as I'm headed that way my self tomorrow for three days. good luck

bobby
08-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Walker river doesn't come anywhere near Sonora pass. About 12 miles or so East from S P you will go down a steep section down to the meadow. Stop before going down and take in the beauty.Great view .If you look South ward you will see the Walker emerge from the canyon. If you look way South you will see Tower peak. That is where this fork of the Walker starts(19 miles). If you want to use a variety of lures hike along the river To Roosevelt/Lane lake. Three mi-4 tops, just follow the trail from the parking lot about 1/2 mile downstream from the pack station. There is a campground right around there also with a nice bridge to cross the river. Another camp ground is located to the right and back in a ways just past the waker bridge just past the Marine base.There are a number of lakes in the area close by.The other fork of the Walker starts above Twin lakes about 20 miles south of where the west walker hits 395. This branch of the Walker crosss 395 at the town of Bridgeport. There are campgrounds up near Twinlakes and one by Buck-eye creek about 7 miles westward from 395. There is fishing on the East Walker both above the reservoir and below the dam. Check on the regs however as to limit and kinds of hooks and type of lures allowed.The others pretty much covered the river close to 395. There are alot more campgrounds in tyhe area. Another one is located south of 108/395 junction, travel south about 2-3 miles to a gravel road that heads back towards the Sierras. This road can be easily seen from 395. Enjoy. iron-man ps if you need more info get in touch with me tonight as I'm headed that way my self tomorrow for three days. good luck
IRON-MAN, r u gone?

thx for the info...

whats the name of this parking lot?

bobby
08-22-2006, 08:29 AM
sonora bridge 3-4 mile west of 395 and east of usmc mt warfare base, park there and work your way down stream about a mile. camp ground up the hill

OK, so this campground u mention, do u hike in and camp there? good fishing?

Do most of u guys prefer the 108 stretch of the walker or the 395 stretch, the 108 seems more appealing...

iron-man
08-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Bobby,I'm walking out the door as I'm trying to type this message. All the campgrounds are drive in,The one just past the bridge east of the Marine base East and south of the bridge is nice. I think the one so on 395 and to the West is quite a bit nicer with a stream close by. adious, solong I'm off to catch a fish I hope. iron-man

bobby
08-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Thx brother, good luck, ill be there thursday!

Troutcoach
08-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Bobby-

I was at the West Walker for a couple of days a few weeks back and it was real good. At that time the river was still running high, but it should be ideal now. I probably caught around 150 fish over those couple of days. All were standard DFG planters ranging from 11 to 16 in. with a good amount of 8 in. in the mix. My buddy caught a real nice one just under 4 lbs. The hot tickets were salmon eggs if you are using spinning gear. If you are using a fly rod a salmon egg imitation works great to. Also, stone flys and olive caddis were catching fish as well.

There were a few good spots for us and my buddy is gonna be pi$$ed, but who cares. You definately want to try the day use area that is about 5 miles outside of Walker. You also want to try the camp ground that is a few miles past the day use area. There are some holes stretches that'll get you a fish on every cast.

I'm heading back up there in a few weeks so I'll be looking forward to your report.

Good luck and make sure you stop at the Walker Burger for some gooood grub.

bobby
08-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Bobby-

I was at the West Walker for a couple of days a few weeks back and it was real good. At that time the river was still running high, but it should be ideal now. I probably caught around 150 fish over those couple of days. All were standard DFG planters ranging from 11 to 16 in. with a good amount of 8 in. in the mix. My buddy caught a real nice one just under 4 lbs. The hot tickets were salmon eggs if you are using spinning gear. If you are using a fly rod a salmon egg imitation works great to. Also, stone flys and olive caddis were catching fish as well.

There were a few good spots for us and my buddy is gonna be pi$$ed, but who cares. You definately want to try the day use area that is about 5 miles outside of Walker. You also want to try the camp ground that is a few miles past the day use area. There are some holes stretches that'll get you a fish on every cast.

I'm heading back up there in a few weeks so I'll be looking forward to your report.

Good luck and make sure you stop at the Walker Burger for some gooood grub.
I will forsure report back with pics!

Do u know the name of the day use area? which side of wlaker is it coming from 108?

did u fish the 108 stretch of the walker too? any luck

thx for writing!!

Troutcoach
08-22-2006, 03:56 PM
I only fished the stretch that runs along 395. It's the first day use area past the town of Walker, about 5 miles past Walker. I'm not sure if has an actual name.

bobby
08-22-2006, 04:42 PM
GOT IT!!! how far up and down the river did u hike?

U got that many in the area????

bobby
08-24-2006, 09:09 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the info I was given on this thread, and this one.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1153925227/6#6

I am leaving tonght, if there is any last minute reports, hit me up.

Again, thx guys!!