PDA

View Full Version : Stunted Brookies on top. What's down deep?

zamzmith
08-14-2006, 05:50 AM
I received some excellent answers to my post: "High Sierra brook trout taste bad." I learned that the Brookies in the lake that I complained about their taste are overpopulated and stunted.

The lake is at 8,500 ft. in Yosemite. It is deep and crystal clear. The water is so cold it is painful to bath. With flies you can catch a Brook trout on nearly every cast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ostrander_side.jpg

So... are there big Rainbows down deep or some other trout that are tasty? If so how does one fish for them: worms, heave a big cast master as far as you can and let it sink before retrieval?

Thanks

drstressor
08-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Very few high elevation lakes ever had fish in them naturally. They are clear because they have very low productivity (nutrient levels). All you will find in those type of lakes are stunted brookies at best. More productive bodies of water that are fed by streams that flow through meadows are sometimes stocked with golden trout.

In general, if the brookies are stunted, anything else that might have been put in there has starved to death.

metalmouth
08-14-2006, 07:00 AM
My favorite fish to eat stream side is a high mountain Brookie. 6 to 7 inches long, clean and fry them crisp, for breakfast with potatoes and eggs. You can eat them skin, bones, tail and all, using the head for a handle.
MMMM . . . . good eats!

FreshwaterFrank
08-14-2006, 08:15 AM
My favorite fish to eat stream side is a high mountain Brookie. 6 to 7 inches long, clean and fry them crisp, for breakfast with potatoes and eggs. You can eat them skin, bones, tail and all, using the head for a handle.
MMMM . . . . good eats!

I'll agree, so long as they're cleaned first!

For a lake that has a healthy population of brooks, that taste good....I recommend Lower Highlands Lake off Hwy 4. To 14" and mmmmmm....good.