PDA

View Full Version : infectious hematapoetic necrosis

cwpro
07-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Recently I read a post about IHN in trout and king salmon. the dfg collected fish samples several weeks ago at folsom. i have not seen the results so far. has anyone heard the upshot of the testing and are the fish O K to eat without heat sterilizing them. the DFG site has no information on this issue. thanks cwpro

AllFishNoWork
07-28-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't know if he takes call from listeners, but you may want to get up early tommorow and call into Seps radio show and ask him.

LRM
07-30-2006, 12:26 AM
I believe that this disease is caused by a virus called rhabdovirus. As far as I know, the only rhabdovirus infecting humans is rabies. This is not rabies. In other words, I would not be worried about trout to human transmission – it’s not going to happen. This is essentially a salmon and trout viral disease. By the way, I would never eat raw fish or raw meat for a variety of reasons and would never recommend it to anyone. It is a personal preference. This is especially true for fresh water fish. Bottom line, if you are a trout or salmon worry – otherwise nothing for anyone capable of reading this to be concerned about. It does not infect people.

8-)

somebody
07-30-2006, 03:05 AM
fish not fully cooked that are infected with tapeworms will infect humans. guide gene st.denis at tahoe has discovered tapeworms there. it was on television fish and game said they may have come from introduced species like bass into tahoe. contact nv fish and wildlife for more info. this report was about 10 days ago. tapeworms are also found in fish in the yukon. tapeworms are bad news and you find them when going to the bathroom or when you get sicker than you believe. I read they get get 2-3 feet long and attach to your intestines.

SideJump
07-30-2006, 07:20 AM
I was listening to Sep's show yesterday morning and he had a DFG guy on the show. They talked about the sample of fish the Sniffers brought in several weeks ago from Folsom. He said non of the fish were infected. However, the sample size (number of fish) wasn't enough for them to be sure that there isn't an issue in the lake. They're going to have do more investigating.

LRM
07-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Big Kahuna –

You are sure right about tapeworms. There are also round worms, hook worms. flukes, whip worms, amoebas, etc. These parasites should not be confused with bacteria, viruses, fungi, and so on. The disease being discussed is caused by a viral pathogen. But as I said before, I do not eat raw fish or raw meat for good reason. About 100 years ago, people actually use to purposely infect themselves with tapeworms to loose weight. Pretty disgusting! Now we have Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig. I like the "see food" diet – you see food and eat it.

8-)

The_Big_Sinus
07-31-2006, 01:48 PM
guide gene st.denis at tahoe has discovered tapeworms there. it was on television fish and game said they may have come from introduced species like bass into tahoe.

Or, very plausibly, they were "native" or came with lakers from the great lakes that were introduced. Tapeworms are typically hosted by snails and finish their lives in other animals. I have caught lakers from a variety of different places that were loaded with cysts.

somebody
07-31-2006, 07:10 PM
are the cysts some of those nasty things or benign

fishguts
07-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Before I cook or smoke any of my catch, I freeze it first. I understand that freezing can kill alot of it. I also fillet all my fish. And of course ensure its thouroughly cooked.
This is especially important if you have anyone with lowered immunity due to chemo therapy etc.

drstressor
07-31-2006, 09:11 PM
http://www.thelifetree.com/fishtapeworms.htm

The_Big_Sinus
08-02-2006, 12:16 PM
are the cysts some of those nasty things or benign

Tapeworm cysts are internal- you won't see them on the outside of the fish like lernea (anchor worms). When you gut the laker, you'll notice white dots inside the gut tissues.

flyingtrout
08-06-2006, 01:56 AM
For those who don't know, keep dogs away from Trout and Salmon (uncooked). Most in California carry a parasite that can kill them.

Nothing more fun to a dog than licking a nice floppy fish-- Till the sickness kicks in. Don't know if it's related to the parasite being discussed, but worthy of mention.