PDA

View Full Version : Pine Flat-7Lber-7/28

Viking
07-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Got your attention didn't I? Fished Pine Flat for trout yesterday and caught a 7 lb Carp while trolling for trout. Thought that I had a trophy trout at first then I realized that it didn't fight like a trout. The trout fishing was DEAD! Now I know why I haven't read any Pine Flat reports for over a month. I had limited out on every trip to Pine Flat this year until now. This is the worst that I have seen it all year. Tried trolling all over the lake, except upriver. Surface water temp was 85 degrees, but marked very few fish down deep. The only two trout that I caught were actually up fairly shallow at about 20' in the dam area using watermelon Needlefish. It looks like the bait fish and trout are still up fairly shallow, but the trout are not feeding with the sun up and heat.

Looks like my next outing will be to Shaver chasing Kokes.

Viking

Atwater
07-29-2006, 12:11 PM
>:( >:( >:( >:( ;D

Now that was a low down dirty trick! Congrats on the mud fish, ya gonna get'em mounted? And where's the picture, this post is worthless without pictures!

Sorry about the lousy fishing, did you try the points between the island and the powerlines?

Snowtrout
07-29-2006, 12:39 PM
awwwww............. don't quit so fast. I have been out twice in the last 2 weeks and have caught 2 rainbows over 3 1/2 lbs. Its tough fishing and the shad haven't really started to ball up but if my records are right, august was great last year.

I'm going tonight to see if the trout like the darkness :D

Viking
07-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Byron,

I haven't given up on Pine Flat, but given the price of gas and good fishing elsewhere, I'd rather go elsewhere until the bite returns. I might have had better fishing Fri., if I had started fishing earlier. I didn't start fishing until 9:30am, so I may have missed a morning bite. Let us know how you did in the evening.

It appeared from my sonar that there was a thermocline established at about 35', but I marked very few fish around it. One of the trout that I caught at about 20' spit up a small shad that it hadn't fully swallowed. It appeared that the shad were still scattered and in the top 20', despite the high water temps. Since you fish the lake regularly, let me what you think is going on.

Oh, by the way I don't have a digital still camera, so its difficult for me to post current pics. I have a 35mm, but I have to develop film and get the CD to post.

Viking

Captain_Morgan
07-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Some people will do anything to get us to read. ;)

ratss427
07-29-2006, 06:33 PM
good one! ;D. i have caught a big fish or two.hoping they were trout.but realizing they didn't fight like a trout.but,then i enjoyed the strong fight for what it was. ;)thanks for the report.

Ray@q97
07-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Viking, nice to see you are still out there on the water catching those big ones. Did you use a net? And you didn't say if you kept the Carp? Witht the Big Fresno Fair coming you could always set up a food booth to sell "Carp on a stick"........

I can't wait for Pine Flat to come back.......anyone have a guess when it will "take off" end of September?

Viking last time I was on Pine Flat I got stopped for speeding. I didn't know that there is a 5 mph speed limit at sunset. I was heading back to the dock when all these "blue lights" appeared out of no where. I thought it was an alien, and that I was going to be sucked up into the mother ship....but no, it was law enforcement. Guess I was doing about 50. And of course I had my daughter with me. And she did nothing but argue with the officals. "My Dad reads everything, where does it say 5 mph, look at all this safety stuff.....does it say at the dock?", etc....she would not let up, she is 25 and just as mouthy as her mother. Any way they checked all the other stuff, blower, fire ext., life vests, registration.......they let me go....by then it is pitch dark and I can see where we are going, so the new Hummingbird 787c2 GPS for the first time showed me the way....that was cool and we made it back......backed the trailer up to get the boat, and wham....a rock in the tire....flat tire.......had a spare tire, did my first change job in many years, then we were on our way..........nothing is easy any more. At least I didn't hit anything or loose a net. But Viking when ever I have an "issue" I think about you. Just like the time last month when I parked the boat on the lawn mower......the new lawn mower has power drive so it is much easier for me to use by the way. And I got one of th jack things so I can get the boat off of things I get it stuck on now.....January I got the boat stuck in the front yard and couldn't move it, so it will come in handing.....oops too much information, at least Ironhead is on vacation so he won't give me "sh++++t"

Ray

Viking
08-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Hey Ray,

I told my son when he bought his new ski boat last year that if you own a boat you can expect sh*t to happen. On his first trip out to Shasta last year, he got a flat tire, scraped up the side of boat, got lost on the lake in the dark and I had to go find him and bring him back using my GPS. I drove river boats, doing mostly night ambushes. for a year in Vietnam, so I have lots of boat stories and experiences.

There is no California night speed limit, but many lakes have a 5 mph limit at night for obvious safety reasons, but you never see it posted.

I would expect the Pine Flat catching to return when the water cools down. Bruce, who fishes it regularly, said that he had good luck in Auguat last year.

I will probably try Shaver for Kokes, while Pine Plat is slow.

Viking