PDA

View Full Version : So what do trout eat anyway???

Slim
07-16-2006, 06:28 PM
When you lure fishin Your imitating bait fish and frogs etc... Worm fishin well, worms (Duh!!) Power bait, well I guess your stimulating their sense of smell (Don't know what they think that smell is?)..

Flyfisher imitates many different things. Bait fish, Dragon fly nymphs, Crawdads, Mouse, frogs, and many different insects both under the water type and on the surface types.. The list can be endless...

Do you clean the fish and inspect their stomach contents to see what they have been eating??? As a flyfisher I always check, just out of curiosity.

What’s the strangest thing the trout had in his stomach that you've found?
I've found rocks, Sculpins (Bait fish) Cigarette butts, amongst many different insects....

If you interested, I went to a local stream (Souht Fork Stan) the other day and photographed lots of underwater insects that the trout eat..

Slide show= http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Bugs%203/?action=view&current=YellowQuillB2.jpg&slideshow=t rue&interval=4

Hope you enjoy!

Slim

Dylan_Gorman
07-16-2006, 07:07 PM
At del valle i have caught trout with twigs and sticks in their mouth.
Dylan

fish_4_alivin
07-16-2006, 07:12 PM
nothing unusual in a trout but last year I caught a rockfish in 100 feet off water with a Buffalo leg bone in his mouth!

ratss427
07-16-2006, 07:28 PM
at shasta i caught a 14" bow that had a 10" kids toy snake in its belly!not sure if it fell off a houseboat.or if somebody was actually trying to fish with it.its belly looked like a football when i caught it.

ddmclw
07-16-2006, 08:32 PM
i caught a largmouth that had 2 bobbers in its stomach. one was clear and the other was red and white. Must have liked them bobbers

johnbfishin
07-16-2006, 08:56 PM
I've seen a high mountain lake bow pass up a salmon egg floating below a bobber just to bite the bobber ::) I've also seen planters hitting a bare hook. I'm not sure what to make of this except that if they think it's food they'll strike. ;)

Empire
07-17-2006, 05:51 AM
I have caught two trout that had plastic worms in their bellies. My guess is that the worms were discarded after being used, as it would be tough to steal a rubber worm off a hook being fished.

cabbagehead
07-17-2006, 02:17 PM
nothing unusual in a trout but last year I caught a rockfish in 100 feet off water with a Buffalo leg bone in his mouth!
;D ;D HAHAHAHA ..a fish that eats bison ... that is one HUGE rockfish. *I know, you mean the Hooters kind *::)

Slim
07-18-2006, 08:47 PM
I have caught two trout that had plastic worms in their bellies. *My guess is that the worms were discarded after being used, as it would be tough to steal a rubber worm off a hook being fished.

I have a friend who was trollin, hooked a fish and upon reeling it in he thought the play was strange.... long story short, when he landed it he saw that the fish ate a rubber worm + Hook & line. The line pass through & was hanging out his --- and he hooked the loop from the line and was bringing the fish in from his ---!

Slim

Schu
07-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I got a rainbow at Lexington that had a treble hook hanging out the back while the leader was still hanging out of his mouth. He was a small but fiesty fish. I cut the leader and pulled it through him carefully. I let him go and he took off.... He looked happier for some reason *;D

HighSierra_Drifter
07-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Great pics Slim,

I just got the eebee geebees looking at those critters...Reminds me of the Star Trek movie when they (Ricardo Monteblan) stuck a critter in that dude's ear :P

Good Shots for Fly Tyers...

Drifter

Slim
07-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Great pics Slim,

I just got the eebee geebees looking at those critters...Reminds me of the Star Trek movie when they (Ricardo Monteblan) stuck a critter in that dude's ear :P
Drifter

My thought exactly. I bet they got the Idea on Star Trek from seeing a helgramite. ;D

Slim

YakMotor
07-20-2006, 03:00 AM
After watching "How To ..." fly fish videotapes I went out and bought some of the stuff the experts recommend. *One item was a stomach pump which looks like a skinny turkey baster. *Suck up a little stream water squirt it down the gullet of your first caught trout then suck out stomach contents to inspect. Lets you find out what's been on the menu with no apparent damage to the fish.

Slim you do such a GREAT job of putting inspirational photo slide shows together I sure hope you'll PM me if your interest ever turns to bikini clad beach bathers! *Especially like those fine detail close-ups.

Mickey_Thomas
07-20-2006, 06:53 AM
I sure hope you'll PM me if your interest ever turns to bikini clad beach bathers! Especially like those fine detail close-ups Yak, you're killing me ;D ;D ;D Slim would be my new hero also ;) The slide show was great 8-)

Slim
07-20-2006, 03:24 PM

Slim you do such a GREAT job of putting inspirational photo slide shows together I sure hope you'll PM me if your interest ever turns to bikini clad beach bathers! *Especially like those fine detail close-ups.

;D ;D ;D

I do know of a couple of places where the sun-worshipers go, but if I my wife (of 30 years I might add) sees anything like that on my camera it'll be all over except the crying!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Slim

YakMotor
07-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Welp, certainly can't put a long term relationship at risk so I guess we'll just have to enjoy your stream side nature photography without the naturists.

I do know of a couple of places where the sun-worshipers go

But, sounds like we got the makins for a new thread especially if there's a trout stream anywhere nearby.

keysersoze
07-21-2006, 07:20 AM
I've put catfish berkley scent on some of my bait for rainbow trout, they seem to love it when I run out of earthworm oil.

Schu
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I do know of a couple of places where the sun-worshipers go, but if I my wife (of 30 years I might add) sees anything like that on my camera it'll be all over except the crying!!!!

Slim,
If she does not get you the swim over the pool to the falls will.
I think I know this spot.... bit south west of us... No !