PDA

View Full Version : Best Trout Spinners

troutndeer
07-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Click on your top lure

jtk25
07-09-2006, 08:15 PM
My vote's for a rooster tail with a black body and hair with a silver blade. Never lets me down.

cjskier
07-09-2006, 09:07 PM
PM's hands down for me, but rooster tails come in a close second. after those two, I never fish any.

Trout_Terminator
07-09-2006, 09:15 PM
cjskier gotta agree with ya. fishing in those small little creaks, a black with yellow spots panther has never let me down. but to tell you the truth, i would say every spinner specializes for diffrent things.

cjskier
07-09-2006, 09:33 PM
^agreed. It seems that the PM's can be retrieved a little slower and still swim well. where as the roostertails need to be retrieved faster to get the blade to spin. On a side not I have used large meps buck tails for bass with decent results.

Mr_Ed
07-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Rooster's blades don't always work right.

PM's are a better grade of lure.

Mepps: for fish over 20 lbs this is what I go with !!

Ed

troutndeer
07-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Panther Martin has worked for me for years all over the state, But in some creeks Mepps and Rooster tails are top dog. I always cary all 3 with me when fishing trout creeks.

Thanks For voteing

Mr_Ed
07-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Did any of you "youngsters" ever use a Colorado spinner ?

Back in the 60's it was KING !

Got put onto the "bench" by the old Super Duper in the 70's.

I remember when there were only 10 types of breakfast cereal
on the store shelf !!

Today we are all spoiled with the never ending supply of lures.

Bet you can't just pick out five !! ;D ;D ;)

Later Ed

metalmouth
07-10-2006, 09:40 AM
P.M., Super Duper, Blue Fox, Mepps, Rooster Tail. Oops I guess a Super Duper is not a spinner, but they work great at slow speeds.

MM

Fish_R_Us
07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
I vote for the Rooster tail, 1/4 & 3/8 oz, black w/ silver blade. I have one thats all scratched up w/ teeth marks, some of the black scale finish is gone, most of the rear bucktail is missing, and it still catches fish. It's still in my primary lure box. That same spinner has caught too many LargeMouth Bass to count.

Athlete24
07-10-2006, 12:27 PM
I like a little red or orange on my spinners in the streams, espeacially if i can get a PM in silver with some red bucktail on it. I think it can make the fish more aggressive and maybe imitate salmon eggs. Has anyone ever had any luck putting a salmon egg on each hook of a spinner, I have a little but I wonder if anyone else has.

fishsearch
07-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I find Roostertails work good when casting along shorelines for trout. It used to work great for me at San Pablo Reservoir many years ago, before the lake went downhill on trout fishing.

For trolling, I prefer Weddingrings or Uncle Larry spinners.

stuckinlodi
07-10-2006, 01:10 PM
I vote for the black with red spots PM. I have had some success with yellow and red as well.

HighSierra_Drifter
07-10-2006, 01:23 PM
http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/brands/Thomas/Buoyant_Gold_Red.jpg
Don't forget the Thomas Buoyant spinners. GREAT lures that don't break the bank and DO catch fish ;)

Drifter

Fish_R_Us
07-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes, I remember the Colorado Spinner. Basically a Colorado blade, o-ring and small treble hook. We use to remove the treble hook and replace with a single gold hook. Blade was gold, smooth or hammered finish. This spinner was deadly when fished SLOW. I till have a few in my lure boxes.

Here's another "blast from the past". Do you remember the Flicker Spinner? Almost same design as above except had real small blade attached by the single hook. Seemed to have just a little added "flash" to the lure. I believe it was only available in gold.

jchurch
07-10-2006, 01:34 PM
The black panther martin with yellow spots is very good, especially on small streams with fast currents. But for me the winner (hands down) is the 1/6 oz red & gold Thomas Bouyant. I have caught browns, rainbows, and brookies with this in lakes, streams, and rivers, both wild and stocked. Wild trout go for it just as much as planters, and I have seen four or five fish chasing this lure at the same time.

The only thing that bugs me is they changed the surface recently, and I don't know how well the new one works (does anyone else).

This Bouyant also casts further than a Panther Martin, which is too small for me to throw very far. Forget it in lakes with a wind! But I still use PMs depending on the conditions.

Churchster

kidfish
07-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Check out the French Tickure , they work great on Trout & Kokanee www.catcreekproductions.com...IT'S A SURE THING !

danmcmartin
07-10-2006, 07:00 PM
I have caught more quality trout on a black PM with the yellow spots that just about everything else combined. We used to catch 20-incher after 20-incher at Hinkson Slough on them. And just a few weeks ago I pulled out the ultralight spinning rod and pulled a few fish from June lake on the same lure.

Still, I caught many more with a hare's ear!

cjskier
07-10-2006, 07:40 PM
So you guys using the black PM's what color blade do you use? Gold, is what I usualy use. But I must say I use the yellow w/ red spots and silver blade / red stripes on it the most.

A little tip for buying PM's, buy from thier online store. Every bodu color combo, blade colors, sizes, hook type, buck tail, any PM ypu could want. Good prices. I like the number 1 size, the smallest ones but they are usualy hard to find, not a problem there.

superT
07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I'v caught lots of trout on mepps. I know a super duper isn't a spinner but it's my all time favorite.

mike22ca
07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
It's hard to beat that slowwwww roll of the Size 0 pather martins. I usually use 2# and can cast them way out and have a nice long retrieve.

OTDRSMN
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
My vote is for a "Jakes" lure in gold with red dot dots. *Looks similar to a super duper but wider and heavier. *You can cast it a mile and it catches trout almost every time! *;)

OTDRSMN

brownblazin
07-12-2006, 04:46 AM
My favorite is a orange panther martin.

fish_feeder32
07-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Panther martins all the way Black body with red spots and gold blade. And i would put mepps at second place. I can walk the calaveras river from hogan to the bridge in jenny lind and catch up to sixty trout with just a few different panther martins that i have selected just for that river, and if i use mepps spinners i would say about 35 or 40 trout in that same stretch of river. I have used different spinners and even spoon and the results never even come close. I swear by panther martins and mepps.

Salvage
07-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I have had good luck with small Rooster Tails drifted in moderate sized streams. But I tend to be old school about fishing hardware....

troutndeer
07-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the input!!

shad_addict
07-14-2006, 08:59 PM
I like Mepps Aglias in size 00, 0 or 1. PMs are great, too. I've never had much luck with rooster tails, and if anything have found that sometimes their blades don't spin as easily as I'd like. I like Blue Fox spinners, though I don't have any in a trout-friendly size...

It is worth mentioning that each spinner has a specific application, and this is true. On French blade spinners (Mepps, for example) the shape of the blade dictates how deep it will fish. Elongated blades, like Algia "longs" are meant to fish deeper than the traditional Aglia blade, for example.

Panther Martins take minimal effort to get the blade working, and for that I like them. Plus, they cast well, even in smaller versions. Jed Davis's book Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout is eye-opening on the ins and outs of spinners fishing, btw ;)

Regards,

shad