PDA

View Full Version : getting dough bait to stay on a hook

fishinwithg
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
The dough you say,

I have been trying different ideals to get dough bait to stick on a single hook the best. Short of cooking it in the sun. It seems if you cut a dough
nugget in half, with sharp siscors, it stays on the hook the best for trolling. The nuggets outter skin seems to have a tougher layer that sticks on your hook better, verses rolling a ball, out of dough. I use a worm to, so I'm limited on the size of dough. Any other ideals out there to get dough bait to stay on longer?????? I'm getting worn out, on putting new dough bait on, and the fish mostly preffer the dough bait, but they do come back for the worm if there hungry, then I'm ready.

Sore shoulder :'(
fishinwithg

keviwa
07-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Why are you using single hooks? If your C&Ring the fish I can see it, but if your keeping your catch, use trebbles. Some even have a wire coil around the shank to help hold the dough bait on. You can also use thread to help hold the bait on. Kevin

fishinwithg
07-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Ya, dough

I guess I forgot to say, I was catching & releasing.

Must be old age
fishinwithg

LD
07-11-2006, 01:40 PM
What I did in the past that helped, was to put the dough on the hook, dunk it in the water, and then remold or "repack" in on the hook. It worked for me. You might look at the treble hooks with the spring on them, and try finding one like that to put on the hook shank, it might work well on a Aberdeen hook, which has a longer, straight shank.
Hope that helps.
LD

Irish
07-11-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't know what type of set-up you are using but some wedding ring and spinners have a single hook with a coil spring wrapped around it as Plug indicated.

SalmonSeeker
07-11-2006, 02:15 PM
One thing that i've heard of is using a bait loop :-?
It might work but now that I think about it, the bait would like disinigrate right, that is if you're talking about powerbait. Might work, just an idea.
~ryder

slowtroller
07-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Fishinwithg

I use cotton balls and mixed them with dough balls and also with power bait. Works great!! * ;)

troutndeer
07-11-2006, 10:00 PM
If your useing a single hook I recomend cutting a wrighting pen spring to size and slideing it on to the shank of your hook, ad the bait , dunk it in the water, and your good to go!

fishinwithg
07-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input, :)

I like the ideals of the metal ring and cotton balls. I just purchased some pro cure gels and pure anise oil. I was trying to figure out how to make my own smelly jellies, or dough with the pure anise oil. I think i'll try using the cotton balls with some old dough bait and adding the anise oil. I have been having good luck with smelly jelly and dough bait flavored with anise. I'll put the 2 ideals to the test this weekend, and give a report.

fishinwithg