PDA

View Full Version : Any reports on heenen?

fish_feeder32
07-09-2006, 09:47 AM
just wondering if any one has been doing good on heenen. I have never been there before and would like to go.

troutfan
07-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Heenan Lake is closed. *It will open on the Friday preceeding Labor day and close on the last Sunday of October. *It is open on Saturday and Sunday only. *Barbless hooks, artificial only and zero limit.

FreshwaterFrank
07-09-2006, 01:12 PM
In other words, why bother?

Give Upper Kinney Lake (right up Hwy 4) a try, the same big cutts & you can keep 'em. If you can catch 'em. A lot prettier spot as well.

Slim
07-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Heenan Lake is closed. *It will open on the Friday preceeding Labor day and close on the last Sunday of October. *It is open on Saturday and Sunday only. *Barbless hooks, artificial only and zero limit.

It's open on Fridays too... When they say off the water at sunset they mean it too...They have the exact time posted every day, when it's "SUNSET" !!!

It's an over rated fishery, gets algie bloom and the fish gets lethargic because the water warms up too much.

I've had fun fishin it a couple of times but I wont make a special trip just for there. There are some better waters nearby !!! Indian Res for instance and others.....

you can read about it here..
http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/heenan.html

Slim

fish_feeder32
07-09-2006, 06:45 PM
What about lake alpine its closer i never been there also. any reports or info is 4 stroke allowed.

FreshwaterFrank
07-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Alpine is mostly full of planters. Small lake, outboards are OK but 10 mph speed limit. Weekends are a madhouse on the single small ramp. Lots of rocks. Trout Derby in August, they trophy plant Alpers rainbows to 8 pounds, but they taste like Gorton's fish sticks if you catch one.

littletruckee
07-10-2006, 05:32 AM
I'm glad some of you think Heenan is overrated.That will help keep the numbers down.Heenan is a very special fishery with some very special trout in it.Those fish are the broodstock fish for all of California's LCT hatchery program.My heaviest fish to date weighed at 8# and I have landed numerous fish in the 25-26" range.See some folks out there on opening day.Jay

TahoeJeff
07-10-2006, 06:10 AM
Amen Jay, Heenan is an awesome fishery! The less people the better.

wolfden
07-10-2006, 06:50 AM
I agree with littletruckee and Tahoe Jeff-Stay home and leave the overrated lake to us, I love fishing overrated lakes ;D

FreshwaterFrank
07-10-2006, 08:02 AM
And I also like overrated mudholes, like Heenan & Amador, so that the guys who want to fish them won't be at the real lakes & streams fishing for wild trout.

Slim
07-10-2006, 04:47 PM
:)

Slim

littletruckee
07-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Frank-
To lump Heenan in with Amador shows ignorance about Heenan as a fishery.The fish in Heenan are planted as fingerlings and left to grow as wild fish.As I said in an earlier post these fish are special as they come from Independence Lake in Sierra County.Independance has the only naturally reproducing stock of LCT's left in California.I fish plenty of places for wild fish but I fish Heenan for the large LCT's that are grown there.Calling Heenan a mudhole is like calling the American River at Sailors Bar pristene.
Jay

FreshwaterFrank
07-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Frank-
To lump Heenan in with Amador shows ignorance about Heenan as a fishery.The fish in Heenan are planted as fingerlings and left to grow as wild fish.As I said in an earlier post these fish are special as they come from Independence Lake in Sierra County.Independance has the only naturally reproducing stock of LCT's left in California.I fish plenty of places for wild fish but I fish Heenan for the large LCT's that are grown there.Calling Heenan a mudhole is like calling the American River at Sailors Bar pristene.
Jay

I know all about Heenan Lake. I first fished it with my dad when I was like 8 years old. It's a pothole, regardless whatever is in it. I can't imagine anything less attractive, from a fishing POV, than to go there late in the year & dodge 57 other boats trolling through the slime....just so's I can maybe C&R some lunker endangered species & then brag about it. Wowee-Zowee. I already posted where real fishermen can catch & keep wild examples of the same species...just 20 miles away. Oh that's right....you gotta hike in there....and it ain't like catching fish in a barrel.

littletruckee
07-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Whatever Frank...............

mtnbay
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
I think it is time folks set their opinions aside and quit wasting energy arguing about ones opinion of Heenan and use that same energy to hike in to a nice Sierra stream and catch some trout. In other words, chill out and go catch fish wherever YOU chose to catch fish. Amen.