PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for Bear River

jackthegreat
07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Taking my family up to Bear River in a couple of weeks, never been there, looking for a couple of tips. We will be fishing from a boat most of the time, but I will also be teaching my daughter how to fish from the shore too.

Any tips of recent successes would be appreciated.

Thanks, :)

Fish_R_Us
07-11-2006, 10:16 AM
I fished the Bear river where it crosses SR-20, couple miles west of the I-80 junction. Pretty small river, I'd consider it a more like a creek. It holds some pocket trout as long as the water level holds. Not much place to hide and the trout are visable but pretty spooky. Place must get alot of park-and-fish traffic. Fished a 1-2 mile stretch. Nice meadow-type terrain. Never checked the lakes and river furthur down the canyon.

The local Search & Rescue teams were also out using their scent dogs as a simulated "lost child" exercise. The dogs were looking for the scent of a teddy bear that was hidden somewhere in the area. The trainers were pleased to see me because they wanted to observe how the dogs reacted to unexpected variables during the search mission. To summarize- the search dogs found me down at the rivers edge and Yes- they also found the teddy bear. Good Job Indeed!!

badbobfishing33
07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
If your in a boat go down towards the boy scout camp there is a flag pole and small camp area....we marked TONS of fish out in front of it ..hopefully they are around.

We also saw several schools crusing the chanel by the camp ground imediately to the left of the launch.

Fishing_Fanatic
07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Good Luck! I haven't had great luck at that lake with trolling. Although I highly recommend that you talk to the guys in the store (at the Resort) upon arrival. They will usually give you the scoop on the best areas to fish and what to use. PG&E (and the resort) stocks the lake right at the launch ramp, so try near there at first light and prior to sunset. There is big rock next to the ramp. Many of the planters stay in this cove for a week or two after planting. Powerbait or spinners seem to work well.
Over by the dam is another good area for bait fishing. Fishing off the bottom with Powerbait near the dirt road launch ramp usually works pretty well. You usually see other shore fisherman here also.

For trolling, try back and forth in front of the dam. And some people have luck fishing with powerbait under bobbers in this area also.

Have fun!!

:) :)