PDA

View Full Version : Shaver Lake 7-8-06

Tom_O
07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Got on the water at 615 and got hit at 625 with a planter rainbow. We landed fish after fish for the next hour and a half. We used lead core line w/ davis flasher and crawler. I toplined a chrome dodger w/ crawler for two of the fish with a nice 17" rainbow in the boat. We only trolled by the dam for two hours and then my friend had to go back to Vacaville. It was a beautiful day spent w/ my two daughters and friend even though it was so short. Boy scout camp island produced on the 4th along w/ the dam and a rock point due south of the dam and east of edison campground. That day we boated nine fish w/ five large kokanee . Largest being 17". I just bought some cannon sport trolls and do not know how to adjust the downrigger to go down. Help would be much appreciated. Heading to McClure next week for eight days, so hot spots would be helpful there also. I posted two weeks ago with no luck.. I hope that IRONMAN or some of the other northern sniffers could chime in. Thanks Tom O

mtalley
07-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Good job at Shaver, Ironman is a Fresno guy but I'm sure he will help if he is at his computer. Just from reading these boards from a couple weeks ago I would try rolled shad or shad raps at 15-30 feet towards the dam. A couple guys have been fishing it more and they may comment, but you may want to post a subject about McClure to get their answers.

JoeTech
07-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Tom - Great job at shaver...I was out there the same day during the morning and did pretty well on the koks. I believe on the sport trolls you turn the handle back and it loosens the drag on the line. I hope that helps.

Joetech

iron-man
07-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Tom O . I didn't read your post because it was from a lake that I would not normally fish. I live in Turlock and Mc Clure is not far ,about 45-50 mins.My last two trips there have been skunks. On my last trip ,took my grandson on july 4. Not a good choice of a date but they were visiting. Went up river past horseshoe bend till the water got murky. Saw alot of fish on the screen and adjusted accordingly, nada.Lots of pleasure boaters out and early. The week before had three bites on rolled shad, no fish in the boat.Should have been on the water earlier, like at daylight.Did get on the water by 6:30 and had bites early. Surface water temp at the boat ramp at M c Clure pt was 80 something degrees at 6:00 am. I normally stop fishing here around the first week in july anyway.The lake gets too much pleasure boat traffic, they want to ski where you are fishing and this time of the year it gets really hot early. Personally I would look for another lake. Melones is doing good for kokes right now and Alpine and spicer should be good soon. Watch the moon phase. good luck .iron-man

mtalley
07-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Sorry iron-man, I was thinking Ironhead, so confusing.

Ironhead
07-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Tom,

Great report on Shaver. I would suggest trying McClure since you have plans to be there 8 days, but if it is slow you are really not that far from Melones. They are kicking out some nice fish there right now, but you will need your DR. Just check some of the posts on the Kokanee board for all the info. Iron-man knows his stuff at McClure, he is right about it being dead right now.

Ironhead