PDA

View Full Version : My Bear River Reservoir Experience!!!

brownblazin
07-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Sorry it took so long to let everyone know how my adventure to Bear River Reservoir turned out. I left thursday(6/29) morning to camp until monday(7/3). This was my first trip there and wasnt sure what to expect. The scenery up there was beautiful. The fishing was very slow. I camped in the group campground so that was where majority of the fishing was done. After setting up tent and getting a little organized it was time to hit the water. Threw out 1 pole with some power bait fishing off the bottom. *2nd pole I tried everything with. Nightcrawlers, salmon eggs, and various lures. The powerbait produced a couple bites but nothing good enough to set hook. Nothing on other pole either. After it got dark I just left lantern next to pole and walked up to camp (only about 20 feet away) to eat. After eating I went to check bait and what do you know. Fish on. Not big, but nice 13 incher. Next 3 hours not a single bite so went to bed. On Friday I hiked about half a mile from camp and fished at daybreak. About 2 hours after sunrise a nice 15 incher hit my powerbait and the fight was on. What a fight this fish put up. I was kind of bummed when I saw the fish because it fought like a 5lb fish would. Unfortunatly it was the only fish caught that day. Then I fished all day saturday without a single strike. That really sucked. I didnt catch another fish untill 1:30 Monday morning. I was back fishing in the campground with powerbait when all of a sudden my pole got smacked. I barely grabbed my pole before it went into water and set hook. Immediatly the fish started ripping off line. After about 5 minutes of fighting the fish all of a sudden line went slack. I couldnt believe it. Reeled in to find hook missing. Dejected I went ahead and tied on another and recasted. Then before I could even set the pole down, BAM!! fish on and here we go again. The fish made 5 different runs ripping off line like nothing to it. It seemed like 10 minutes went by before I got it netted. I knew when I hooked it that it was a big fish but when I seen it I couldnt believe it, went and got the tape measure and scale. This rainbow went 25 and a half inches and weighed 6lbs 11 oz. My second biggest rainbow ever so that made my trip. Overall the fishing was horrible. 3 fish in 5 days. Yeah, that one fish was big but I wasnt impressed with that place at all. My first and last trip to Bear River Reservoir. Thats for sure.

fulltroutjones
07-06-2006, 06:48 PM
did you fish the dam?and how high was the water?iI know your frustration as i was skunked on day 1 but did well on day 2 and 3 ..,sounds like you hooked into a nice fight and fish.. i agree though, altogether maybe for the newcomer,its not so great a place to fish,but i bet the regulars do very well there..

brownblazin
07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
FullTroutJones, I fished the dam 1 day only. All day saturday with not hits at all. Maybe just in wrong area of dam. I actually fished right off the dam(side of outlet) right in the center. When it comes to the water level, sorry but I cant say if it was high or not. My first time there so I have no idea what the normal level is.

krzyfshrmn
07-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Pretty sure night fishing for trout is ILLEGAL at Bear River Res. >:(

brownblazin
07-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Where did you get your information. According to the lodge it is ok. Dont see anything in 2006 fishing regulations supporting your theory either. If what you are saying is true, then there are alot of people who were breaking the law. There was at least a dozen lanterns by the water next to fisherman.

fishguts
07-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the story of your adventure. That must have been a nice fish and I am willing to bet it ate real well.

roswalt
07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Seamís odd that it would be illegal to fish for trout at night there; it is still Amador County, right? night fishing is legal at Lake Amador. but perhaps there are rules against , cuz' of PG&E? or could be boating restrictions as well. Some lakes, Camanche for E.G's it is legal, even in a boat, it is legal, however once the sun goes down boats must be moored until daylight and cannot move around, in my book that does not work... I would'nt worry if the peeps at the resort say ok
I 'd do it. just to escape the 12 inch dee-p red powdered dirt those camp grounds have....

ditto for the report and great fish @ 25'' 6 or 7 pounds !! that's worthit....aint it ??

-fishable

krzyfshrmn
07-08-2006, 12:25 PM
To my knowledge, all lakes in the Sierra District are closed to night fishing for trout and salmon species. Maybe there are exceptions :-/

Rusty_Hooks
07-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Read em

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/2006/06freshfishregbook.pdf

Article 2.

Trout_Terminator
07-08-2006, 01:10 PM
hey a 6lber is hardly a horrible fishing trip bro *;). and fishing at night isint illegal you just arent allowed to keep the fish it seems like.
"water where night and day fishing is allowed, but no trout or salmon may be taken at night". but they dont have it well organize, and it doesent say that the county that BRR is at is illegal to fish at night. jease they make the regs so confusing, why just not put it plain flat out. but check your regs first, becouse they do change, and you dont want to be caught fishing illegal, big fine, and a big punishment.

troutfan
07-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Never sure about the regs but it looks legal to me.
Here are the relevant regs: ;)

3.00. Fishing Hours.

(a) Day Defined: One hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Remaining hours are night.

(b) All fish may be taken day or night, except
as follows:
(1) WATERS WITH RESTRICTED FISHING HOURS FOR ALL SPECIES:
(A) American River between Business 80 and Nimbus Dam (Sacramento Co.): Night fishing prohibited.

(B) Heenan Lake, (Alpine Co.): See Section7.50(b)(76)(A).

(C) Mono County: Night fishing is prohibited in all Mono County waters except Topaz Lake, where fishing is prohibited from two hours after sunset to one hour before sunrise.

(D) Tahoe Lake (Placer and El Dorado Cos.): Fishing is prohibited from two hours after sunset to one hour before sunrise.

(2) WATERS WHERE NIGHT AND DAY FISHING IS ALLOWED, BUT NO TROUT OR SALMON MAY BE TAKEN AT NIGHT:

(A) North Coast District.

(B) North Central District, except Berryessa Lake (Napa Co.) and Mendocino Lake (Mendocino Co.).

(C) South Central District, except Coyote Lake (Santa Clara Co.).

(D) Valley District, north of Interstate 80, except Camp Far West Lake (Nevada,Placer, and Yuba counties), Collins Lake (Yuba Co. ), Oroville Lake (Butte Co.), and Wildwood Lake (Nevada Co.).

(E) Shasta, Siskiyou, Lassen and Tehama counties.

krzyfshrmn
07-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm sure the Sierra District was in there in previous years....... :-/ :-/ :-/ I guess I could have been fishing for Browns at night after all....

Sticking foot in mouth..........now

johnbfishin
07-08-2006, 08:22 PM
* I'm sure the Sierra District was in there in previous years....... :-/ :-/ :-/ * I guess I could have been fishing for Browns at night after all....

* * Sticking foot in mouth..........now

LOL!

We've been there done that on this subject, but it doesn't hurt to review.
Krzy.....seems to me you get the big one anyway, so maybe it's just off limits to you. ;) ;D