PDA

View Full Version : please i would like info on smith river 4 trout

seemedical
06-23-2006, 06:56 PM
anyone know about the trout fishing this time of year on the smith from the bank?
and driving from sacramento to the smith with a rv will take HOW LONG?

anglinfool
06-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Check the regulations about trout fishing on the Smith...I know there's a big cutthroat run but most people target Salmon and Steelhead in the fall and winter. The river closes at the end of April but not sure if its just for steelhead or what??? Its a long drive and I take the southern Oregon route through Grants Pass. 299 from Redding may still be under construction but you can check at Caltrans. Drive through Oregon was just over 6 hours. Good luck and please post a report.

anglinfool

vito
06-26-2006, 03:11 PM
My parents used to live near Brookings and I used to fish there for trout. I'd fish from the bank. Just throw an inflated crawler on a sliding sinker rig. I used to throw them right in the downstream side of an eddy or waterfall. Used to hammer 'em that way. This was always around christmas though so check the regs. I live in Roseville and it took 10 hours to drive there.

BigRichClovis
06-26-2006, 09:33 PM
10 hrs from Fresno. Check regs. I go during Feb to catch Steelhead. Good Luck.

Rich

anglinfool
06-27-2006, 06:53 AM
It looks as though the river opened up again in May but take limits are definitely the rule. I believe one wild or hatchery trout, not steelhead can be taken and the salmon run begins later this summer/fall. Go to dfg.ca.gov for the exact regs for the Smith. Beautiful area...good luck.

EZBake
07-06-2006, 07:01 PM
I used to drive up from Livermore and it would take me about 7 hrs w/out an rv. I just moved to Crescent City a month ago. I would take the 5 to the 20, and catch 101 north. As far as the river goes, I am still trying to figure out which is the most productive. I've tried it on a fly pole and spinning gear with about the same rate of sucess. A fish here and there. Never more than 2 fish a day. If anyone else has some tips on these cutthroat your wisdom will not fall on deaf ears.

anglinfool
07-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Hey EZBake, I've heard the south fork of the Smith is great for cutthroat's. I went steelhead fishing with a guide and he was telling me spin set-ups work well on the south fork during summer. Be sure to check the regs though, I believe its barbless only.